Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2015, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: maortega15
This is a thread to discuss rumours / potential new routes for Cathay Pacific to fly to.

Current speculation:
Print Wikipost

New route speculation for Cathay

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2015, 12:32 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K; Cathay Diamond; Asiana Club Diamond; SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
For MIA, a stop in NRT should be viable as both NRT and MIA are oneWorld hubs with opportunities to codeshare with both AA and JL.
NRT-MIA is not currently served non-stop by any carrier, this segment alone could capture a lot of Japan-S.America traffic if it is timed correctly to connect with LATAM (LA/JJ) which serve PUJ, BGT, LIM, SCL, EZE, UIO, GIG, GRU and MAO nonstop from MIA. And from NRT, the flight could be timed to connect with CX451 to capture the TPE bound passengers and funnel off to JL for China/Korea bound passengers.
At 7436 miles, 777-300ER should have no problem doing NRT-MIA nonstop with a good payload.

Of course this is all assuming that the current air services agreements between HK, JP and US authorities allow CX to operate a HKG-NRT-MIA routing.
Old May 14, 2015, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
Because China has a large number of Christian population that go to Tel Aviv. Also, Tel Aviv has always been a good tourism city (when the bombing cools off). Tel Aviv is a great choice and my only wonder if why not sooner.
And don't underestimate the non-trivial Jewish population in Shanghai, which is growing.
Old May 14, 2015, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by sfosuw
For MIA, a stop in NRT should be viable as both NRT and MIA are oneWorld hubs with opportunities to codeshare with both AA and JL.
NRT-MIA is not currently served non-stop by any carrier, this segment alone could capture a lot of Japan-S.America traffic if it is timed correctly to connect with LATAM (LA/JJ) which serve PUJ, BGT, LIM, SCL, EZE, UIO, GIG, GRU and MAO nonstop from MIA. And from NRT, the flight could be timed to connect with CX451 to capture the TPE bound passengers and funnel off to JL for China/Korea bound passengers.
At 7436 miles, 777-300ER should have no problem doing NRT-MIA nonstop with a good payload.
All good arguments, but they all point towards AA or JL launching the route. CX far less likely in my view.
Old May 14, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Originally Posted by sfosuw

Of course this is all assuming that the current air services agreements between HK, JP and US authorities allow CX to operate a HKG-NRT-MIA routing.
I think this is a very good solution for CX getting to MIA. NRT is also pretty much "on the way" as most N. American flights overfly Japan.

But CX would have to get on this route (NRT-MIA) before JL or AA, as once either carrier starts, CX would not be able to come in. CX would need to cement some market share and brand awareness on the route first. It would be difficult to do that if a OW partner is already flying. So hopefully CX starts it first!
Old May 14, 2015, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
And don't underestimate the non-trivial Jewish population in Shanghai, which is growing.
Surely only working there , besides wouldn't they prefer going on El Al ?
Old May 14, 2015, 1:12 pm

Random: Ben Collins at ABC (Australia, not America) writes about how hard it is for NW Aus airports to get any international flights. One idea floated is an Asia-NW Aus-Perth, like what CX does (did?) with ADL and CNS, but it's still far-fetched. Now, if Canberra wants Asian airlines to fly to remote ports so badly, they could sweeten the pot with more rights to cities like SYD, but I'm not holding my breath. CX likely won't fly there anyway unless the math works out in the first place.

Which brings me to a bigger question: Will the ongoing Jetstar HK saga end up giving HK (read: CX) more Australian rights? I'm sure CX wants to able to add to SYD, MEL, etc. with more planes instead of bigger planes.
Old May 14, 2015, 4:08 pm

BR is launching TPE-HOU on June 19th. I've been to Houston many times and there are a huge Chinese population there, BR will have great success running this route.
Old May 14, 2015, 8:07 pm

BR is launching TPE-HOU on June 19th. I've been to Houston many times and there are a huge Chinese population there, BR will have great success running this route.
But are they of Han or Hui or Alishan descent ?
Perhaps china eastern should consider houston too if they are Han from the mainland .
Old May 15, 2015, 4:46 am

But BR have the added bonus of IAH being a Star Alliance hub with UA. Same reason Air New Zealand is launching IAH.

Carriers like Air China and Eva Air are much suited to IAH for their Texas flights because they can tap into domestic connectivity + S. American connections on UA.

CX would be far better suited to flying to DFW (even if AA already operate DFW-HKG), because Dallas is a super OW hub offering domestic and S. American connections to CX that IAH cannot offer. Houston on its own is not enough to support a flight to HKG, particularly with competition already to Asia with Star carriers: Air China (PEK), ANA (NRT), EVA Air (TPE), Singapore Airlines (SIN), UNITED (NRT).

+ Skyteam member:Korean (ICN).

All important markets are covered. If HKG were needed, it would be better served by United.
Old May 15, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
So out of nowhere, suddenly KA will fly HIJ since 16 August...
Old May 15, 2015, 11:38 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by sscywong
So out of nowhere, suddenly KA will fly HIJ since 16 August...
Not out of nowhere, see post #12
Old May 15, 2015, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CX828
But BR have the added bonus of IAH being a Star Alliance hub with UA. Same reason Air New Zealand is launching IAH.

Carriers like Air China and Eva Air are much suited to IAH for their Texas flights because they can tap into domestic connectivity + S. American connections on UA.

CX would be far better suited to flying to DFW (even if AA already operate DFW-HKG), because Dallas is a super OW hub offering domestic and S. American connections to CX that IAH cannot offer. Houston on its own is not enough to support a flight to HKG, particularly with competition already to Asia with Star carriers: Air China (PEK), ANA (NRT), EVA Air (TPE), Singapore Airlines (SIN), UNITED (NRT).

+ Skyteam member:Korean (ICN).

All important markets are covered. If HKG were needed, it would be better served by United.
SIN is very much out of the way for a connection to HKG originating from the US, plus, that flight stops in MOW...
Old May 16, 2015, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
SIN is very much out of the way for a connection to HKG originating from the US, plus, that flight stops in MOW...
The point of the post is to show there is already lots of competition to Asia, and that IAH is best served for STAR Carriers. The fact that SQ flies to IAH is proof to that.

There are no Asian OW carries serving IAH, and a long haul flight like HKG-IAH needs
1) Sizeable Asian population (Already being tapped into by Star Carriers, so lots of competition and a 77W from CX would probably be too much capacity)
2) Connections, only available for Star carriers
3) Destination purpose business traffic e.g. Oil. (HKG and IAH don't have the same volume of business links as say HKG-JFK or HKG-LHR.)

CX would struggle with all 3 of these components. However, perhaps a strong Cargo market could help bolster a passenger flight. I don't rule out IAH for CX, I just think other US destinations are likely, where there are either good connection opportunities to exploit or stronger business and social links with HKG/Asia, and perhaps a bit less Alliance competition.
Old May 16, 2015, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by bearbrick
Surely only working there , besides wouldn't they prefer going on El Al ?
No, Shanghai has historically had a significant Jewish population.
Old May 16, 2015, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
No, Shanghai has historically had a significant Jewish population.
And they were in Harbin too ( and in Mumbai ) (but so too were the french americans british japanese ...) but it was a a short stint as it were ... historically speaking ... And most if not all left for australia , Jamaica etc ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.