Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 4, 2015, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: maortega15
This is a thread to discuss rumours / potential new routes for Cathay Pacific to fly to.

Current speculation:
Print Wikipost

New route speculation for Cathay

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 9:27 pm

Programs: US Gold, Avis First, AMEX Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dcahkg
I don't think that CX would fly PHX when they could start flying to SEA or MIA.

MIA is hard to do with the planes and rights that it has now but the business links are there. Maybe something through one of their weaker European ports?

SEA is one of unpicked low-hanging fruits now with BOS being on line. That DL flies there shouldn't stop them since at CX has been up against UA at three of the five American ports it flies. Of course those ports likely see more Pacific flows though.

PHX is unlikely to be high on their list. If PHX flows were there I think KE or someone else would have already jumped on it first. If you're looking for AA flows what does PHX give you that LAX or ORD doesn't? (Also the AA fans would fly DFW-HKG on their own metal. CX won't start DFW.) It's almost like saying PHL or CLT could happen.

Something I would like to see, MEX, that would be super fantastic!

Any word on maybe getting more LHR slots?
I sadly agree and living in PHX this would make me very happy. I have taken the LAX-HKG flight two times in the last three months.
But with the rumor that BA PHX-LHR (744) is switching to AA (777) maby Phoenix is looking to attract new publicity.

Originally Posted by phol
PHX would actually make good sense. A reasonable Asian population for the HKG connections, and a major hub for US Airways connecting the other way. It would also make a good stopover for a MIA add on.
Past 'US Air' hub. NOW AA. And if you look at what happened with United, i would say PHX will see a decline in AA flights over the next 5-7 years
Old May 5, 2015, 3:29 am

Programs: *A
According to this article (in Hebrew), CX sent some people to TLV to look into offering it as an A350 destination. I could see them doing very well, particularly with connections beyond HKG. Other classic options like EK and QR aren't available to ex-TLV pax.
Edit: Link in English.
Old May 5, 2015, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Longboater
Any chance IAD could happen, perhaps down the road with the A35J?
That would be wonderful, but only likely after they get smaller planes. I haven't heard any rumblings, unlike with, say, YYC. Most IAD-Asia is done well by UA, NH, KE, CA, as well as AA, DL, and ME3. A lot of good traffic is bound for the East Asian capital cities anyway. But there is a lot of SE Asian/Indian traffic you'd be fighting over with ME3/KE. It looks like for long-haul CX likes adding flights to the same trunk routes before adding newer places. (See JFK, LAX, LHR, SYD, etc.) That's why with less network breadth it's still doing quite well with ASKs. I'd love to see frequency/seat capacity-adjusted route maps for CX and other Asian airlines, they would be quite telling.

TLV-HKG would be a great add, but not what I would have expected. For Europe, it would be great to see FCO, MAN, and DUS go up to daily (with smaller planes perhaps), MUC, MAD, BCN, CPH, ARN (maybe not with SK starting soon), and the far-fetched ones, like OSL, HAM, BRU, VIE, GVA.

Would CX ever be desperate enough to thicken London by adding LGW, STN?

If CX were really ambitious they could do things like CBR, DRW (KA), CHC, but that would be out of character.
Old May 7, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: CX MPC DM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Exp
CX's next new destination: Tel Aviv?

Rumor appeared on Israeli news:

"Cathay Pacific Airways, which won the World's Best Airline Award for the fourth time in 2014, is looking into launching a new route from Hong Kong to Tel Aviv.

Company representatives visited Israel about a week ago and met with local aviation officials to examine the procedures which will allow the airline to start flying to the Holy Land. The delegation's visit included meetings with members of the Israel Airports Authority and Civil Aviation Authority and security officials at Ben-Gurion Airport.

Yedioth Ahronoth has learned that Cathay Pacific plans to start operating the flights towards the middle of next year on its new Airbus A350 planes.
"

So potentially another shocker after the launch of DUS... your thoughts on TLV?
Old May 7, 2015, 3:24 pm

At peace time TLV can be a really attractive port for tourists. This is a good move by CX and I see they remain aggressive in opening up multiple ports.

Still say CX should open up DFW ASAP.
Old May 7, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by freakinflyer001
Company representatives visited Israel about a week ago and met with ... security officials at Ben-Gurion Airport.
These guys and the ones at LY. They know how to do security.
Old May 7, 2015, 5:12 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
ME3-free land. All da connecting pax!
Old May 7, 2015, 5:49 pm

I've heard about starting TLV several years ago. I've had alot of Jewish passengers onboard and alot of Jewish people seem to do business in HK especially in the Jewelry industry so i'm sure it'll benefit them greatly.

The A350 is the perfect aircraft for these routes. Long and thin. I can see Copenhagen getting the A350 if/when that materializes. Honolulu is another rumored US destination for the A350.
Old May 7, 2015, 6:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX MPO
Originally Posted by dcahkg
TLV-HKG would be a great add, but not what I would have expected. For Europe, it would be great to see FCO, MAN, and DUS go up to daily (with smaller planes perhaps), MUC, MAD, BCN, CPH, ARN (maybe not with SK starting soon), and the far-fetched ones, like OSL, HAM, BRU, VIE, GVA.

Would CX ever be desperate enough to thicken London by adding LGW, STN?

If CX were really ambitious they could do things like CBR, DRW (KA), CHC, but that would be out of character.
I would add to the lot VCE. Strong business traffic to Far East, that at the moment is firmly in ME3+TK hands, to the detriment of the two european continental monopolists (and I will never enough grateful for that).A direct flight to HKG may well become a winner, just like MXP had. Perhaps Maortega can shed more light on what is on the table for Europe after A350s enter the fleet?
Old May 7, 2015, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by maortega15
I've heard about starting TLV several years ago. I've had alot of Jewish passengers onboard and alot of Jewish people seem to do business in HK especially in the Jewelry industry so i'm sure it'll benefit them greatly.

The A350 is the perfect aircraft for these routes. Long and thin. I can see Copenhagen getting the A350 if/when that materializes. Honolulu is another rumored US destination for the A350.
Looking in Chow Tai Fook, I saw more mainlanders than Jewish people...
Old May 7, 2015, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CX GO, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Would love to see HNL a reality. Hate connecting in TYO and adds on a good four/six hours compared to a direct flight. Also - JAL space seat neo or whatever it is is not comfortable. Food is amazing though....compared to CX.
Old May 7, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by CuiDawei
Would love to see HNL a reality. Hate connecting in TYO and adds on a good four/six hours compared to a direct flight. Also - JAL space seat neo or whatever it is is not comfortable. Food is amazing though....compared to CX.
Hawaiian might consider it when the A330-800NEO arrives, especially if its already small business class has flat beds.
Old May 8, 2015, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
At peace time TLV can be a really attractive port for tourists. This is a good move by CX and I see they remain aggressive in opening up multiple ports.

Still say CX should open up DFW ASAP.
AA has a strong grip on DFW traffic. CX is unlikely to do as well there since DFW-HKG is doing so well in part as AA elites pick that flight over taking CX. If CX had the capacity (77W or 350) it would probably pick another city or thicken a route they already fly.

TLV would be nice, not much overlap with other ports. (Daydream: HKG-TLV-MIA would get strong 5th freedom traffic but I can't see that happening.)
Old May 8, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by NJinPHX
I sadly agree and living in PHX this would make me very happy. I have taken the LAX-HKG flight two times in the last three months.
But with the rumor that BA PHX-LHR (744) is switching to AA (777) maby Phoenix is looking to attract new publicity
Oh, I really hope not! What's the source of the rumor?
Old May 8, 2015, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
A TLV route would provide another OW option to get to TLV from the U.S. in addition the US flight from PHL and BA options through LHR with heavy fuel surcharges.

Award tickets from the U.S. to TLV are difficult so this would certainly make it easier (albeit more miles due to routing via HKG).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.