Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

PEK-HKG-PEK in Y: Dragonair or Air China

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:04 am
Original Poster

I've been tasked with booking a trip from Beijing to Johannesburg for a friend. All flight options go through Hong Kong (connecting to SAA). The fare is the same whether the PEK-HKG segment is on Air China or Dragonair (or, gulp, Hong Kong Airlines).

Initially, I thought this was an easy choice, but I've been underwhelmed by Dragonair over the past year (do they still serve Haagen Dazs ice cream on any routes?).

It's a choice of an A320/A333 on Dragonair or a B772/A321 on Air China, depending on the connection time.

I don't think my friend cares (no status, etc.). The one benefit of choosing Air China is that my friend can consolidate all of the FF miles into one single Star Alliance program.

Which airline would you choose? Are the Air China flights less prone to air traffic controls?

Thanks
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:01 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I think the CA is better for a PEK departure/arrival.

And yes they still service Häagen-Dazs on KA.

KA will have good IFE. CA does not have a good IFE (kind of lags and bad UI). Food will also be better on KA. Hard product like seats are about the same. I actually prefer CA Y.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:08 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
KA lately has been having lots of problems with delays. Granted my sample is small but something to keep in mind.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:48 am

Programs: CX Diamond, UA Platinum, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
KA lately has been having lots of problems with delays. Granted my sample is small but something to keep in mind.
Well, lately (past year...) seems all late departures out of China are getting seriously pushed back. Departures from WUH, SHA, PVG, PEK, NKG all 2-3hrs late...

I don't think it matter the airline...domestic chinese carriers or foreign.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:50 am

Programs: CX DM, Watsons Wine Burgundy
Air China pilots used to smoke in the cockpit and the smell would leach into the cabin. It used to really bother me. Have flown much less in Mainland China and only on KA since 2011, not sure if this is still happening. So I'd say hands down KA over CA any time.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:27 am

Flown the route on both. KA has good IFE, newish seats, great crew, and good catering (with Haagen Dazs). CA is a bit of a lottery. If you get a newer plane, there is AVOD. They also use a wet leased Air Macau plane on the route with no IFE. Catering is a bit worse than KA. Overall they are both decent airlines. On such a short hop in Y the service doesn't matter than much. I would say go by schedule.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:32 am

Programs: CX SL, BAEC Gold, IHG, Hyatt, Starwood,Ritz Carlton Reward
really? ive done PEK return weekly in the last month and every time i've either arrived in HK on time or early! All on the 1630 departure from PEK

I'd choose KA anyday over CA- given you can expect a certain service standard onboard as opposed to CA
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by StAIR
Flown the route on both. KA has good IFE, newish seats, great crew, and good catering (with Haagen Dazs). CA is a bit of a lottery. If you get a newer plane, there is AVOD. They also use a wet leased Air Macau plane on the route with no IFE. Catering is a bit worse than KA. Overall they are both decent airlines. On such a short hop in Y the service doesn't matter than much. I would say go by schedule.
+1
Old May 1, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Those are not technical matters but depend on protection money negotations with the Chinese Airforce. CA might be in a special position there as it also is by all means more of a Chinese government entity rather than an airline.
Old May 1, 2015, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mosburger
Those are not technical matters but depend on protection money negotations with the Chinese Airforce. CA might be in a special position there as it also is by all means more of a Chinese government entity rather than an airline.
Citic loves CX, and their 关系 is about as good as it gets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.