Qualified Diamond...

Old Apr 15, 15, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Etihad
Qualified Diamond...

...but I have no clue why.

The last 3 years I've had complementary Gold Status with CX via Amex Platinum. Last year I was told that this would end in March 2015. As a result of a number of Australia<>Europe flights on Qatar this year (credited to my CX Account), I fell over the line for CX Gold qualification in my own right with about two weeks to spare. This week however, I logged onto CX to check if my status had been updated, and I was stunned to see I've be granted Diamond status for the next year.

I'm certain that I didn't qualify Diamond, so I'm wondering if this is an administrative error? Anybody else experienced anything like this? I mean, I'm happy to take the 1st Class Lounge acccess....so I'm not exactly going to complain!
Old Apr 15, 15, 10:50 am

Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by RBH58 View Post
...but I have no clue why.

The last 3 years I've had complementary Gold Status with CX via Amex Platinum. Last year I was told that this would end in March 2015. As a result of a number of Australia<>Europe flights on Qatar this year (credited to my CX Account), I fell over the line for CX Gold qualification in my own right with about two weeks to spare. This week however, I logged onto CX to check if my status had been updated, and I was stunned to see I've be granted Diamond status for the next year.

I'm certain that I didn't qualify Diamond, so I'm wondering if this is an administrative error? Anybody else experienced anything like this? I mean, I'm happy to take the 1st Class Lounge acccess....so I'm not exactly going to complain!
How many flights did u do. What class were you ticketed in? If you fly first or biz, not difficult to achieve in 4 to 5 flights with class bonus
Old Apr 15, 15, 5:39 pm

Programs: SQ QPP, SPG AMB, Hhonors DM
AFAIK, Amex had a fast track requalification soft landing program. So instead of requiring 120k for DM, you only needed 60k for DM, 30k for GO etc.

If you had requalified as GO, that means you would've hit 60k which suggests to me the soft landing thing has kicked in and they granted you DM instead of the usual GO.
Old Apr 15, 15, 8:31 pm

Programs: CX
Slightly off topic, but the Amex Platinum card issued in HK offers complimentary Gold status with CX?
Old Apr 15, 15, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by mitwg View Post
AFAIK, Amex had a fast track requalification soft landing program. So instead of requiring 120k for DM, you only needed 60k for DM, 30k for GO etc.

If you had requalified as GO, that means you would've hit 60k which suggests to me the soft landing thing has kicked in and they granted you DM instead of the usual GO.
So CX is thinking there are too many DMs/GOs that cost too much to maintain the current benefits, and at the same time they are throwing away DMs/GOs to anybody with the right credit card.... (this is not against the poster, I am glad for you, this is targeted against CX)
Old Apr 15, 15, 9:12 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by mitwg View Post

Originally Posted by CX HK View Post
Slightly off topic, but the Amex Platinum card issued in HK offers complimentary Gold status with CX?
Hmm. Interesting. I would sign up for Amex Platinum immediately (been offered and declined a few times) if it allowed one to qualify for DM with only 60K miles. I can do 60K every year comfortably but usually won't go too much further.

Amex Platinum is HK$7800 per year, and it would be worth it to me to pay $7800 per year to swap my GO card for a DM.
Old Apr 15, 15, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by midlevels View Post
Hmm. Interesting. I would sign up for Amex Platinum immediately (been offered and declined a few times) if it allowed one to qualify for DM with only 60K miles. I can do 60K every year comfortably but usually won't go too much further.

Amex Platinum is HK$7800 per year, and it would be worth it to me to pay $7800 per year to swap my GO card for a DM.
Will CX ever offer a card in USA? They have one in Canada but not USA, while USA has tons of ports now (BOS, JFK, EWR, ORD, SFO, LAX)? I hope they can offer a soft landing card like that in USA, I would gladly pay USD $1000 a year for it.
Old Apr 15, 15, 9:27 pm

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by midlevels View Post

Agreed, I wasn't aware of this either but I too would do it. I'm on pace for 80ishK this year and will likely just renew gold after hitting 60K.
Old Apr 15, 15, 9:43 pm

Programs: SQ QPP, SPG AMB, Hhonors DM
From what I know so far, this is only a one year incentive for the people to keep flying with CX, albeit with a reduced re-qualifying criteria.

So it's not something you can 'sign-up' to continuously halve your requalification criteria every year but rather, it's for the people who have been receiving the free status previously to have one final opportunity to requalify at the same level (or a lower level) with a 50% discount in the number of miles required.

I think this is a decent business move tbh. At the moment these 'free-loaders', as some here would call them, have been getting their statuses entirely free. I know a few people who have DMs through their centurion cards and not flown a single sector on CX while making full use of DM status elsewhere, costing CX money with zero revenue.

This probably wasn't what CX intended (I bet they thought it'll increase traffic on CX by offering status to 'high value' customers) so I think its a decent way to encourage those that haven't been flying to fly CX and get some final revenue in the door before the program officially ends.
Old Apr 16, 15, 12:49 am

From my understanding on numerous previous posts here, this offer is not for HK issued AMEX Platinum Charge card. It was for some Australia, UK (and USA?) issed AMEX Platinum Charge members.

Edit: e.g. this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ast-track.html
Old Apr 16, 15, 2:03 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I guess congrats on making DM.
Old Apr 16, 15, 2:15 am

Programs: QF Emerald. CX Nobody
it's not HK based amex plat charge. I saw it for Australia Plat Charge (50% reduced qualify)
Old Apr 16, 15, 6:49 am

Programs: CX - DM; SQ - PPS, Hilton - Diamond, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Gold
My good friend based in Singapore told me he also had the GO status offer by Amex Plat charge card with halved the miles required to requalify...
Old Apr 16, 15, 2:45 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
And I had to fly all the way from GR—>DM in my first year the hard way…

*sigh*
Old Apr 16, 15, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Singapore, Cathay, QANTAS, Delta, Velocity, Etihad
As I said, I just tipped over the line for Gold qualification (about 65k miles). Nowhere near Diamond qualification. A nice and welcome surprise I guess...but I thought all of the Amex benefits were going to cut out on Mar15. That is what CX advised me last year.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: