Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong to Shanghai - Cathay vs Dragonair / economy vs business?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hong Kong to Shanghai - Cathay vs Dragonair / economy vs business?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brunos
You mean same seats as CX International
Sorry yep typo / not paying attention on my part. I meant long haul J not long haul F. I'll edit my OP
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:02 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Dragonair has upgraded part of its A320 fleet to include PTVs even in Economy Class and using the same new CX seat.
Yes, but this is still the minority of A320 aircraft and if using iOS device you need to download the KA Studio app before boarding or the system will be inaccessible inflight.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 4:24 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by midlevels
Yes, but this is still the minority of A320 aircraft and if using iOS device you need to download the KA Studio app before boarding or the system will be inaccessible inflight.
Browser access should still do the trick... Just may not be the best experience I guess...
Old Jan 11, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
Does a J award provide better delay protection?

The times I make it to PVG early, check-in always asks if I want to get on an earlier flight. PVG seems to make a standard practice of switching passengers to flights with available seats.

Now would this make a difference if you are in J or Y, especially if there are delays? Getting better IRROPS protection would be one reason I'd pay 2x Avios for a J seat. Otherwise, I agree with most that Y is sufficient.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

IME J doesn't command a lot more love than Y in that situation. People with confirmed seats on flight x always get priority over those displaced from other flights.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:25 am

I've just received an information about change of aircraft for my early November KA PVG-HKG flight, from A330 to A320. How often do you experience such changes on PVG-HKG route? I'm flying in Y and considering some negative voices about KA's A320 this particular swap of planes doesn't make me happy. Considering there're still two months to our trip, how likely it is that they'll change aircraft again? If they don't, is A320 so bad tha we should go to PVG earlier and try to get seats on previous flight, as @eethan has mentioned?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:40 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by tropikey
I've just received an information about change of aircraft for my early November KA PVG-HKG flight, from A330 to A320. How often do you experience such changes on PVG-HKG route? I'm flying in Y and considering some negative voices about KA's A320 this particular swap of planes doesn't make me happy. Considering there're still two months to our trip, how likely it is that they'll change aircraft again? If they don't, is A320 so bad tha we should go to PVG earlier and try to get seats on previous flight, as @eethan has mentioned?
honestly, no. don't overthink it. First off you're MONTHS out. Don't even pay attention now! Second off, delays and cancellations to/from PVG are the worst in the system much thanks to the Chinese military and ATC. It's about as bad as it gets anywhere in the world.

You don't get cute trying to pick the plane type to PVG. Coming from someone who flies there at least monthly or more. You pray you HAVE a plane that leaves somewhat around the scheduled departure time.

Yes, in theory the smaller planes are "worse". Forget all the other nonsense the main difference is 1.) 2-4-2 vs 3-3 (so if you're two passengers, definitely the A330 is superior if you can snag a twosome. and if you're alone there's a higher aisle ratio..but if you're 3 passengers, A320/A321 is better), and 2.) KA's narrowbodies go to the satellite terminal, which adds about 5 minutes on average due to a bus you have to take and is just generally annoying. If PVG was a normal city, this would factor into my decisionmaking. But PVG is NOT normal. The best strategy isn't plane type but picking the earliest possible flight in the day you can go.

Because really, what you care about is flying. roughly around the time you've booked. That is what it comes down to from PVG. You get to the airport early. Chances aren't small you aren't going to be on your original flight anyway, because it's 3 hours delayed and you've been moved onto the flight that was scheduled to depart 3 hours ago but now it's leaving roughly at your time. And if you just happen to get to the airport early, take the earliest flight you can - you don't sit around and wait 3 hours for your plane because it's A330, whereas the plane ready to depart is an hour with availability is A320, and check-in staff say you can switch. You take the A320 in a heartbeat and only relax when the wheels leave the ground and your airborne.

If you have a connection in Hong Kong, I recommend leaving at least 5 hours transit time if you're flying in from PVG, especially if you're not a CX Diamond or Gold cardholder. Otherwise it's just too damn risky. I haven't had a single on-time departure to or from PVG since before May. And I've done the route over 10 times between then. Included in there is a 6 hour delay, and a cancellation. 30 minutes late is like a blessing from above.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:42 am

Thanks a lot for such detailed answer
There'll be two of us. Fortunately, HKG is our final destination (for couple of days), so delay won't affect us very much (apart from shorter stay in HKG). Our flight is at 12.55. I booked such flight in order to have enough time to get to PVG without necessity to leave our hotel (Renaissance Zhonghsan Park) very early. According to schedule there're CX/KA flights at approx. 11.30 and 12.30, so we'll try to go to PVG let's say 1 hour earlier than originally planned and then we'll see what happens. I'm BA silver, so even if we have to wait, we can spend this time in lounge.
Anyway, you're absolutely right that the flight itself and its timing are much more important than type of aircraft (particularly on such not so long distance).
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:23 am

I just flew HKG-PVG several times in the past month and my god aren't the delays terrible - used both KA/CX in J and can confirm the food is mildly better
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Try and switch to the 13:20 KA flight from SHA to HKG. That way you can leave your hotel at 11:30, take the subway for 25 mins and you'll be at the airport! Much better than trecking it to PVG and you're guaranteed a 330 on that flight!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:44 am

I don't think they'll allow such change as tickets are "promo fare" type (more specifically fare O, OL7CN). But I'll try
I bought them directly at CX/KA website. Does it make my chances bigger?

Last edited by tropikey; Aug 30, 2017 at 10:36 am
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
PRC is the only place in the world I buy J ticket for 2h flights,
When delays strikes, the extra space is very a plus, 2h flight often means 4h+ onboard,
At least on CX the food is edible in J (compare to MU)
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
if you just happen to get to the airport early, take the earliest flight you can - you don't sit around and wait 3 hours for your plane because it's A330, whereas the plane ready to depart is an hour with availability is A320, and check-in staff say you can switch. You take the A320 in a heartbeat and only relax when the wheels leave the ground and your airborne.
With respect to possible change of flight on the day of departure from PVG, I wonder what happens if I check in online to my original flight? Does it make any difference in my chances to be changed to earlier flight? Perhaps it's better not to do online check in and just show up at the airport and ask for change of flight to earlier one?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by tropikey
With respect to possible change of flight on the day of departure from PVG, I wonder what happens if I check in online to my original flight? Does it make any difference in my chances to be changed to earlier flight? Perhaps it's better not to do online check in and just show up at the airport and ask for change of flight to earlier one?
I'm not sure it makes much of a difference. At least it hasn't to me. I've had up to three flight changes in a single day, all flights already checked in, but because of delays I was moved each time (twice before arriving at the airport and the final time at the airport).
tropikey likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, MU Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Which PVG CX flights has the best chance to get long haul J product? or they are no longer using long haul planes on this route?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.