Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

EWR or JFK more likely for F/C Award Space to HKG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: I'll take whatever points I can get...

Hey all,

This will be my first flight on CX. Planning on using AA Miles from GSP - BKK on 4/29. I've read a lot about using AA for CX booking and it seems I've got a couple options, asking for any advice you may have.

My plan is to do an award booking for what is currently available in Y from NYC to HKG and HKG to BKK and then when award space in C (or possibly F) opens up a couple days before, upgrade for the additional miles.

I have two options that I like based on timing:
JFK - HKG 21:55 4/29 - 6:10 5/1 CX0889 Y Cathay Pacific
or
EWR - HKG 01:45 4/29 - 05:30 04/30 CX0899 Y Cathay Pacific

Based on my looking at Expert Flyer it appears that it will likely be easier to get F/C space on the EWR flight, but I am concerned based on what I've read about the new staff at EWR and the fact that if their is an issue its only the 1 flight whereas JFK has 4 in case of flight issues.

Should my plan work in the way I am thinking? Any input on EWR vs JFK for this flight?

Thanks!
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:45 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
mate, welcome to the forum. there's quite a bit about this subject already...you'll probably end up getting heaps more if you poke around this forum for 20-30 minutes. You'll find folks who have flown ex-JFK and ex-EWR and tons of reporting back. It's not the most organized on FT and searching can be a bummer, but there is a ton of information. Also, fyi there is no F class ex-EWR. Doesn't exist on the plane. Presumably EF should show this!

When you're searching, fyi CX flies two types of 77W configs - "77H" and "77G". That's what we're referring to with the endless references. 77H is four class - F, J, Y+, and Y. 77G is three class - J, Y+ and Y. 77H exclusively serves all the JFK flights and 77G exclusively flies the EWR flight. The business, economy and premium economy seats are identical hard products across both configs, although the cabin layout obviously different. Also, for some other buzz words to search for, we call the "mini cabin" rows 11-12 on 77H, which are usually considered some of the best J seats on 77H. The 77G does have a smaller J cabin in the back which occasionally also gets called the "mini cabin" (as does 33G, another aircraft config in the CX fleet which doesn't fly to North America). It's a good term to search for if you're looking for J class specific queries.

There are plenty of debates about which seats to pick on both configs, 77G and 77H (particularly if you fly J class), which timing to choose, what's better for connections, lounge preferences, etc. etc. etc. good luck
Old Feb 28, 2015, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: I'll take whatever points I can get...
Originally Posted by QRC3288
mate, welcome to the forum. there's quite a bit about this subject already...you'll probably end up getting heaps more if you poke around this forum for 20-30 minutes. You'll find folks who have flown ex-JFK and ex-EWR and tons of reporting back. It's not the most organized on FT and searching can be a bummer, but there is a ton of information. Also, fyi there is no F class ex-EWR. Doesn't exist on the plane. Presumably EF should show this!

When you're searching, fyi CX flies two types of 77W configs - "77H" and "77G". That's what we're referring to with the endless references. 77H is four class - F, J, Y+, and Y. 77G is three class - J, Y+ and Y. 77H exclusively serves all the JFK flights and 77G exclusively flies the EWR flight. The business, economy and premium economy seats are identical hard products across both configs, although the cabin layout obviously different. Also, for some other buzz words to search for, we call the "mini cabin" rows 11-12 on 77H, which are usually considered some of the best J seats on 77H. The 77G does have a smaller J cabin in the back which occasionally also gets called the "mini cabin" (as does 33G, another aircraft config in the CX fleet which doesn't fly to North America). It's a good term to search for if you're looking for J class specific queries.

There are plenty of debates about which seats to pick on both configs, 77G and 77H (particularly if you fly J class), which timing to choose, what's better for connections, lounge preferences, etc. etc. etc. good luck
Thank you very much for the insight! EF shows them both as the 77W, not sure what that means, but grateful for the "boots on the ground" report. Will definitely continue to dig deeper in this forum, but sounds like JFK it is!
Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

888/889 stops in YVR. If you do get F on that flight, you should be able to get supper service at the BA J lounge.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeremywight
I have two options that I like based on timing:
I'd first forget about what you "like based on timing" and just take whatever you can get.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by jeremywight
Should my plan work in the way I am thinking? Any input on EWR vs JFK for this flight?

Thanks!
EWR only has J class.

Know that if any AM/MPC members have waitlists in F class ... they will get it before it will be displayed on inventory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.