Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice For Asia Miles Redemption

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Krisflyer, Marco Polo Gold, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred
Advice For Asia Miles Redemption

Hi everyone, many thanks for the useful travel info.

Need advice for the following:

Cathay website redemption lists Singapore-London (via Hong Kong) round-trip Premium Economy Standard Award available @ 72,000 miles per person (plus tax/fees).

I have calculated both SIN-LHR (direct, 5882 miles) and SIN-HKG-LHR (6,800 miles) and both are within Award Zone D (5001 - 7,500 miles), which requires 72,000 miles.

Is it now safe to transfer my points to Asia Miles and redeem this ticket, or am I gonna need more miles (for whatever reason) when I get to the next page on the website??

Did I miss out something?

Thank you.

Best regards, Asiange
Attached Images  
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Asiange
Hi everyone, many thanks for the useful travel info.

Need advice for the following:

Cathay website redemption lists Singapore-London (via Hong Kong) round-trip Premium Economy Standard Award available @ 72,000 miles per person (plus tax/fees).

I have calculated both SIN-LHR (direct, 5882 miles) and SIN-HKG-LHR (6,800 miles) and both are within Award Zone D (5001 - 7,500 miles), which requires 72,000 miles.

Is it now safe to transfer my points to Asia Miles and redeem this ticket, or am I gonna need more miles (for whatever reason) when I get to the next page on the website??

Did I miss out something?

Thank you.

Best regards, Asiange
Weird... SINHKG (1592) + HKGLHR (5983) = 7575 miles. Zone E should be used. How did you get 6800 miles, and I wonder how come CX.com calculate it as zone D.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Weird... SINHKG (1592) + HKGLHR (5983) = 7575 miles. Zone E should be used. How did you get 6800 miles, and I wonder how come CX.com calculate it as zone D.
Most likely an error.
I had this problem too before on SYD-xMEL-HKG (5029 miles)

Called the call centre who gave me (what was actually the correct mileage), but it was higher than what the website quoted. And I got annoyed at them as I saw that the website showed a lower mileage total needed.

Then I tried to book on the website, but clicking through the final screen to pay, showed a higher mileage total.

So for OP, best to call the call centre to confirm exact miles needed.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Op: Clicking to the next screen got me to (the correct) 108K Miles + HKD3275 (searched just now, same dates/flights).

The initial page shows the mileage requirement for a direct routing (hence the Zone D mileage). The next page gives a 'Due to connecting flights chosen, the total amount of Asia Miles required per person has changed.' message and the correct mileage.

LHR is a frustrating redemption from SIN - often, better availability than HKG (married segments), but a punitive step up in the mileage required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.