Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can I remain in transit at PEK?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Can I remain in transit at PEK?

I need to do some short-haul mileage runs from HKG. HND and PEK would appear to be the only destinations that guarantee F.

HND is easy. Get off the plane, proceed through in transit security and back to the gate.

Does anyone have experience of doing this at Beijing (PEK)? Is it as easy as HND, i.e. no need to deal with immigration issues, visas, etc
Old Jan 30, 2015, 7:11 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I am not certain but I would expect CX check in staff to insist you have a China visa when you check in at HKG regardless of your turnaround status.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sxc
I am not certain but I would expect CX check in staff to insist you have a China visa when you check in at HKG regardless of your turnaround status.
Definitely need a visa unless in transit or hold a passport that doesn't require visas to visit China (e.g. Japan) or another exempting document such as APEC/hrp.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:59 am

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
As it is a same day turnaround, the TWOV should apply here, no? You still have to go through immigration, I imagine, but you probably don't need a visa.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 3:01 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Based on my observation in PEK (either no one (including staff) at the transit counter, or an extremely long queue with just two staff there, and just limited number (2?) of transfer desk) I won't do MR at PEK...

Why not do HND and then go out for a walk?

p.s. It's the first time I heard someone do MR in F....
Old Jan 31, 2015, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by kawaii
As it is a same day turnaround, the TWOV should apply here, no? You still have to go through immigration, I imagine, but you probably don't need a visa.
PEK is clearly the DESTINATION (i.e. not a transit point) in the case of HKG-PEK-HKG.

ETA: The OP might not have to go out to the departures lobby and back again, but will certainly require valid travel documents to ENTER China in order to fly in the first place.

Last edited by moondog; Jan 31, 2015 at 3:52 am
Old Jan 31, 2015, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, AA 4MM Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by sscywong
.....It's the first time I heard someone do MR in F....
My PEK visit would be part of a RTW in which I have two segments to burn, but not enough time to stay over.

Thank you all for your comments.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 6:32 pm

No need for a visa, if stay in Beijing is less than 72hrs. If you already have the onward ticket (or return in your case, then you will be fine)

read more here: http://www.travelchinaguide.com/emba...a/free-72hour/
Old Jan 31, 2015, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by timesnaps
No need for a visa, if stay in Beijing is less than 72hrs. If you already have the onward ticket (or return in your case, then you will be fine)

read more here: http://www.travelchinaguide.com/emba...a/free-72hour/
Please read carefully, all! A return ticket does NOT meet the criteria for visa free transit in China. The "onward" segment must go directly (as in nonstop) to a 3rd country.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...er-thread.html
trooper likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:45 am

in case OP isnt aware of, F to PEK on KA is the same as J on CX unless you are on the CX metal to PEK. The possible combination for turnaround is CX390 CX391 which arrives at 12:15 and departs at 13:30. I am not sure if there is sufficient time for "transit".

Another consideration is that the HND lounge is significantly better than the PEK lounge
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:05 am

Programs: MPC, Marriott, Hyatt
Originally Posted by moondog
PEK is clearly the DESTINATION (i.e. not a transit point) in the case of HKG-PEK-HKG.

ETA: The OP might not have to go out to the departures lobby and back again, but will certainly require valid travel documents to ENTER China in order to fly in the first place.
Ah, I see. I've never used the 72 hour visa for China, but I just thought it was a valid visa as long as you had an outbound ticket within 72 hours (rather than just a transit visa so you must be stopping in a mainland city on your way somewhere else).
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:54 am

Originally Posted by kawaii
Ah, I see. I've never used the 72 hour visa for China, but I just thought it was a valid visa as long as you had an outbound ticket within 72 hours (rather than just a transit visa so you must be stopping in a mainland city on your way somewhere else).
It's actually not a visa, but a privilege that China affords to passengers transiting through 9 (at present) cities by air.

24 hour TWOV is a bit more lenient (i.e. can come and go from different cities), but the third country requirement still holds (so HKG-PEK-HKG could never work though HKG-PEK-MFM is fine).
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:41 am

I flew HKG-PEK-MUC about two years ago and I did not have to enter China. There is an immigration check for transferring passengers, which is not always staffed. The last time I transferred in PEK I had to wait a while for an officer to come. Security checks for transferring passengers is separate from that for departing passengers, so no long lines there. All in all a not unpleasant experience. Shopping in the airport is very limited and one can only use the wifi after registering with one's passport. Not the best transfer airport I have been in, but not the worse either.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:11 am

I tried international to international transit at PEK before and would not recommend it. The immigration counters for transit passengers are not always staffed and it may take a while to get through to the transit security check. By then, it should be a breeze but why go through the stress?
timesnaps likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by moondog
Please read carefully, all! A return ticket does NOT meet the criteria for visa free transit in China. The "onward" segment must go directly (as in nonstop) to a 3rd country.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...er-thread.html
Thank you for your clarity. PEK is clearly a bad idea, but HND I've done many times - a piece of cake. NRT used to be the best, but there is no longer F between HKG and NRT on CX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.