Can I remain in transit at PEK?

Reply

Old Nov 29, 15, 6:15 am
  #31  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SDF
Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Posts: 13,205
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais View Post
OLCI wasn't working for some reason, but everything went smoothly.

There was an agent there able to print out boarding passes for just about every airline. Made it through to my gate in 20 minutes.

The transfer was a bit annoying since they just throw you back into the main security line, but having access to the separate J/F area made it quick.
Excellent. Thanks for the update and data points.
LHR/MEL/Europe FF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 15, 7:36 am
  #32  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 28,506
Originally Posted by jerrywu View Post
Moondog, please put up with me, but are you suggesting there is no "Check in online" for PEK outbound CX flight?
Yeah, I was actually suggesting that since I've not once succeeded at olci on cx or ka ex-mainland. That having been said, I don't attempt such very often anymore (constant rejection conditioned me).
moondog is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 15, 8:30 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Beijing, Paris, Edinburgh
Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
Posts: 425
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Yeah, I was actually suggesting that since I've not once succeeded at olci on cx or ka ex-mainland. That having been said, I don't attempt such very often anymore (constant rejection conditioned me).
Interesting. I in fact have the opposite experience, I always do OLCI for my ex Beijing flights with KA (on the CX application or sometimes on the CX website if the app is down) and I have never had a problem.
DernierVirage is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 17, 4:01 pm
  #34  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: BA
Posts: 609
Question

Seemed like the most appropriate thread to ask/update with my question.

I am making a transfer from a UA flight landing at PEK T3 onto a Cathay Dragon flight to HKG leaving three hours later booked on a separate ticket with carryon bag only. If I understand correctly I will need the actual paper KA boarding pass to make the transfer. I am traveling KA in J. I read there is a transfer desk before transfer immigration line, is this where I can get my KA boarding pass/checkin if need be? Is there a business/premier line I can use for making this transfer? Any better ways to get my KA boarding pass?

Many thanks!
BOStonTravels is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 17, 5:19 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Posts: 1,337
Originally Posted by BOStonTravels View Post
Seemed like the most appropriate thread to ask/update with my question.

I am making a transfer from a UA flight landing at PEK T3 onto a Cathay Dragon flight to HKG leaving three hours later booked on a separate ticket with carryon bag only. If I understand correctly I will need the actual paper KA boarding pass to make the transfer. I am traveling KA in J. I read there is a transfer desk before transfer immigration line, is this where I can get my KA boarding pass/checkin if need be? Is there a business/premier line I can use for making this transfer? Any better ways to get my KA boarding pass?

Many thanks!
Can you print your KA boarding pass before your UA flight? Assuming you are coming from US, and holding a US passport, you should be able to OCLI ex China to HK (not into China). CX allows 48 hours OCLI, which you should have enough time to print your boarding pass before travel. So you will have KA boarding pass on hand.
I can't answer the other questions, since I only transit PEK probably 5 times in 3 years.

Note, "from what I understand", if you don't need "paper/visa" to enter HK, you should be able to OCLI, otherwise, you can't. i.e. Taiwan passport holding can OCLI from HKG-TPE, however, can't do OCLI on TPE-HKG flight (even you have "visa on landing"/entry paper/permit, which CX/KA can't see)
Fly2Where is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 17, 11:15 pm
  #36  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: BA
Posts: 609
Thanks ,from reading posts in other threads it sounded like self-printed boarding passses were not accepted by transit immigration, are self printed BP ok?
BOStonTravels is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 17, 2:44 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Posts: 1,337
Originally Posted by BOStonTravels View Post
Thanks ,from reading posts in other threads it sounded like self-printed boarding passses were not accepted by transit immigration, are self printed BP ok?
I cant say for "tranist immigration", but i certainly used self printed boarding pass in PEK in July and PVG in AUG this year during "normal immigration & normal boarding".
On a side note, I also saw ppl using mobile boarding pass, which I am not "brave" enough to try in China.
Fly2Where is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 17, 8:05 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: TPE & RMQ
Programs: CX MPO SL, IHG Spire, Hertz 5*, National Emerald Club
Posts: 4,019
Originally Posted by Fly2Where View Post
Note, "from what I understand", if you don't need "paper/visa" to enter HK, you should be able to OCLI, otherwise, you can't. i.e. Taiwan passport holding can OCLI from HKG-TPE, however, can't do OCLI on TPE-HKG flight (even you have "visa on landing"/entry paper/permit, which CX/KA can't see)
I am Taiwanese, and I just did it in July for a trip just going to HKG, not transiting to anywhere else, and the OLCI worked fine. Boarding pass can be printed.
ernestnywang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 17, 11:50 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Beijing
Posts: 272
Originally Posted by LchChester View Post
...The possible combination for turnaround is CX390 CX391 which arrives at 12:15 and departs at 13:30. I am not sure if there is sufficient time for "transit".
Definitely not sufficient time for "transit". The queues at immigration leaving are usually horrendous between 11:00 and 15:00. And if you unlucky there are any numbers of delays, thanks to the super efficient (cough cough...) Chinese ATC.

In Singapore yes, in PEK no way to do that!
timesnaps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 17, 11:56 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Beijing
Posts: 272
Exclamation

Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I tried international to international transit at PEK before and would not recommend it. The immigration counters for transit passengers are not always staffed and it may take a while to get through to the transit security check. By then, it should be a breeze but why go through the stress?

Sorry for hijacking this thread a bit, but I was wondering about something like this, returning on CX, but flying onwards with Turkish, could do same day even, and I have a visa, but I am wondering if this will even work.... the stress I get at this awkwardly managed airport, is often cause for a lot of headaches.

Even if I had a boarding pass for Turkish (its the outbound sector) I fear they will still try and make me run the whole immigration, exit, entry gauntlet! In addition they now seem to insist on scanning every bag after you collect them, causing yet another bottle neck with huge queues!
timesnaps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 17, 12:00 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Beijing
Posts: 272
Originally Posted by jerrywu View Post
Moondog, please put up with me, but are you suggesting there is no "Check in online" for PEK outbound CX flight?
There is online checkin, but you cannot use a digital/mobile boarding pass for international flights there, as the backward folk there insist on having a paper boarding pass to stamp their security markings on....! been there done that. You can get as far as Immigration, where they then tell you to go back and get a paper boarding pass, or deny you boarding...

Dont waste your time with this airport if you can avoid it!
kaka likes this.
timesnaps is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread