FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club-487/)
-   -   CX Routes with First Class? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/1648540-cx-routes-first-class.html)

FlyPointyEnd Oct 2, 17 4:49 am

Originally Posted by headinclouds (Post 28878027)
Hope it is not the same announcement that said that CGK would have 1 daily 77H route. 2 months later, it disappeared from the scheduled completely.

I think its to compensate for the loss of F after 542/543 has been changed to the 773. Since they couldn't do 2 77H for HND without impacting capacity, they opted to send it to NRT instead.

G-CIVC Oct 2, 17 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288 (Post 28883222)
I wonder if it's a crew related switch thing to send 77H on the last day of 777 to EWR. Totally possible, and possibly required by the weird situation changing to A359 and staffing differences between that and 77G. 77H requires fewer crew like 35G... particularly if they close F off to your chagrin.

77H requires more crew than 77G...no?
77H is 1+2+5+6
77G is 1+4+8
35G 1+4+(I don't know)

Related to this, I just wanted to let OP know because the incoming crew would likely be flying a 77G, unlikely to have 2nd SP hence the F cabin would just be treated as an additional J section...but of course, it doesn't cost CX that much to PX another crew over.

My guess is there just aren't 340 pax to fill a 77G...and there are spares for both 777s anyway.

Newtoaasia Oct 5, 17 6:45 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC (Post 28885036)
77H requires more crew than 77G...no?
77H is 1+2+5+6
77G is 1+4+8
35G 1+4+(I don't know)

Related to this, I just wanted to let OP know because the incoming crew would likely be flying a 77G, unlikely to have 2nd SP hence the F cabin would just be treated as an additional J section...but of course, it doesn't cost CX that much to PX another crew over.

My guess is there just aren't 340 pax to fill a 77G...and there are spares for both 777s anyway.

yes not expecting F service - imagine it will be J service but I'd love to check out the seat!

Anlun Oct 24, 17 4:06 pm

Hi all,

Had F seats on Hkg to BKK flight on Nov 15 (flight 701), but it was changed now to a 777 plane with J seats. Any chance it can change back to an F plane, or an F plane will become available on that date?

barracuda93 Nov 7, 17 2:43 pm

Is there anything existing in F below 40k Avios? Both HKG–HND and HKG–PEK require 40k. While I can afford it, I don't see much point in it (well, it's better than business, but not twice as). However I'm interested to try F product just for the sake of experience.

QRC3288 Nov 7, 17 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by barracuda93 (Post 29031946)
Is there anything existing in F below 40k Avios? Both HKG–HND and HKG–PEK require 40k. While I can afford it, I don't see much point in it (well, it's better than business, but not twice as). However I'm interested to try F product just for the sake of experience.

CX sells F to TPE, BKK and SGN, and in the past has also included PEK, MNL, ICN, SIN, CGK and KIX. But the problem with any regional F destination except HND (and NRT for a few more months) is they are not guaranteed. CX will sell it to you and then swap the plane. So you could try it just don't get your hopes up.

Also, just fyi the service is a bit abbreviated on those routes. But you'd still be in the seat .

barracuda93 Nov 8, 17 2:49 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288 (Post 29032611)
CX sells F to TPE, BKK and SGN, and in the past has also included PEK, MNL, ICN, SIN, CGK and KIX. But the problem with any regional F destination except HND (and NRT for a few more months) is they are not guaranteed. CX will sell it to you and then swap the plane. So you could try it just don't get your hopes up.
Also, just fyi the service is a bit abbreviated on those routes. But you'd still be in the seat .

Thanks for info. Yeah, I can imagine onboard service is more like business rather than proper first, but I would still get access to Pier and Wing first class lounges.

As for "CX sells F to TPE, BKK and SGN", I tried to find any availability via BA website and failed. I just keep getting an error that these routes do not have F, and get suggested with business instead.

eponymous_coward Nov 8, 17 5:01 am

Originally Posted by barracuda93 (Post 29034308)
Thanks for info. Yeah, I can imagine onboard service is more like business rather than proper first, but I would still get access to Pier and Wing first class lounges.

It’s not an uncommon opinion here that Pier J is better for some things than Pier F. I also don’t think lounges are as important for departure on a short flight as for transit or long flights (to skip that blast chilled reheated airplane meal and get straight to bed). But then again I am from the US where lounges don’t get added into most premium class flights gratis.

IMO Avios for CX shorthaul J is a pretty decent deal, even if you get the regional J (which is streets better than BA empty middle seat and a meal “J”). F not as much at 4x Avios rather than 2x. YMMV.

barracuda93 Nov 8, 17 5:14 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 29034596)
It’s not an uncommon opinion here that Pier J is better for some things than Pier F. I also don’t think lounges are as important for departure on a short flight

Wow, surprised to hear that. But never been to Pier or Wing F, cannot comment.
Thanks for mentioning this though.

In Hong Kong I usually arrive hours before the flight to the airport or make a long transit just for the sake of oneworld lounges there. Really love them. Don't know any other airport like this in Asia (well, SIN sort of had been near, but since of move of CX to T4 not interesting anymore unless a pure transit).

IMO Avios for CX shorthaul J is a pretty decent deal, even if you get the regional J (which is streets better than BA empty middle seat and a meal “J”). F not as much at 4x Avios rather than 2x. YMMV.

Oh yeah, in terms of value as such, J and even more economy (if we don't count lounge access in) and much more attractive. I thought about regional F in a sense of "let's try 1 class once in a lifetime and affordably", rather than actually maximizing the value of points.

s0ssos Nov 8, 17 5:22 am

As for "CX sells F to TPE, BKK and SGN", I tried to find any availability via BA website and failed. I just keep getting an error that these routes do not have F, and get suggested with business instead.

Actually no, I flew F to TPE and it was the full service, which is a bit rushed given it is such a short flight.

Are you searching dates they actually have F going? They don't do it daily, you probably best find out first.
But I did have issues with BA finding F.

Ausriver Nov 8, 17 5:32 am

It’s not an uncommon opinion here that Pier J is better for some things than Pier F. I also don’t think lounges are as important for departure on a short flight as for transit or long flights (to skip that blast chilled reheated airplane meal and get straight to bed). But then again I am from the US where lounges don’t get added into most premium class flights gratis.

I wouldn't rate Pier J over Pier F.....

I actually dislike the food section of Pier J, that you need to ask the waiter to give whatever food that you wanted. And could lead to a long queue at busy time. A help yourself buffet style would be a lot better and easier.

It is a very good J lounge however a J lounge only.

barracuda93 Nov 8, 17 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Ausriver (Post 29034668)
I actually dislike the food section of Pier J, that you need to ask the waiter to give whatever food that you wanted. And could lead to a long queue at busy time. A help yourself buffet style would be a lot better and easier.
It is a very good J lounge however a J lounge only.

I agree about a [slight] inconvenience with this, but food itself is at times amazing. Perhaps the best lounge food I have encountered so far (though I did enjoy KrisFlyer lounge at TPE – exclusively for food – and EVA lounge in Bangkok very much too).

Dave510 Nov 8, 17 12:11 pm

Personally I recommend trying the Pier F if you’ve never tried it. The food is much better than what’s on offer at the Pier J (or even the Wing F) imo. Try the food massage if your connection is long enough or at an hour where there isn’t a huge line up.

headinclouds Nov 10, 17 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288 (Post 29032611)
CX sells F to TPE, BKK and SGN, and in the past has also included PEK, MNL, ICN, SIN, CGK and KIX. But the problem with any regional F destination except HND (and NRT for a few more months) is they are not guaranteed.

Is the F service to NRT reliable until Feb 2018 ? I also noticed the CX 777 gets F service on 3 Saturdays in Jan 2018. Would the odds be better than 50-50 it gets swapped out? 210 BA avios points are hard to pass up on my AONE4 ticket.

ernestnywang Nov 12, 17 10:13 am

There are very few TPE flights that have F now. Some days (weeks) there are none, but I still see them occasionally.