Community
Wiki Posts
Search

North Pole sightseeing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

North Pole sightseeing

Recently flew HKG-JFK and the pilot announced that we were taking the polar route so we should look out for a light show over the North Pole. Unfortunately nothing was visible. Anyone any idea how likely it is to see anything ?
I'll be flying the same route in July when its perpetual daylight in the Arctic - is the view is worth staying awake for ?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:19 pm

The Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) varies depending on the flow of charged particles from the sun; the phenomenon is not always visible. It is centered around the magnetic pole, which is not exactly at the north pole; I am not sure where it is these days. It moves around.

No, in daylight you can't see the Northern Lights, and there is no specific "view" at the North Pole.

Well, of course you can see all the longitude lines merging there, but that's about it.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Do all the CX HKG-JFK flights take they same path (the pole)?

Which side of the aircraft is better to be on flying HKG-JFK for best view?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
Should be able to see it on both sides.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
Do all the CX HKG-JFK flights take they same path (the pole)?

IME, the polar route is more common on JFK-HKG than on HKG-JFK, although others will chime in with more data points. The precise routing can vary day by day based on winds and other weather conditions.

The times I've done the trip over the years, I can remember only one polar route on a HKG-JFK, during late spring when I guess they figured the jet stream wasn't as strong. Especially during the winter, you're more likely to take a more southerly route past Japan, across the northern Pacific and then making landfall on North America anywhere between southern Alaska and Vancouver because they can pick up some considerable tailwinds.

It's been the reverse in the other direction, where once or twice they took a more southerly route but usually take the polar option.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 4:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I've seen the Auora Borealis out the window on several AS flights before- not over the pole mind you but outside of ANC. But it does need to be dark.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Caught that on ORD-HKG last month! Right side of the plane (if it goes the Pacific direction that is).
Old Jan 25, 2015, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When it's daytime on the polar routes, I find the view actually more interesting over northern Canada and Siberia, compared to closer to the pole. It's mostly just flattish ice closer to the poles. Further south, there are more mountains and interesting formations.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by BakerStreet
Recently flew HKG-JFK and the pilot announced that we were taking the polar route so we should look out for a light show over the North Pole. Unfortunately nothing was visible. Anyone any idea how likely it is to see anything ?
I'll be flying the same route in July when its perpetual daylight in the Arctic - is the view is worth staying awake for ?
I hope you were looking UP instead of DOWN !
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Originally Posted by BakerStreet
I hope you were looking UP instead of DOWN !
Huh- never thought for the need to clarify this- but yes, it would make a difference

A year or two ago I saw a bunch of lights outside of Japan- evenly spaced it seemed in the water- still not sure what they were.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:04 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Have seen the lights a number of times.. Doesn't have to be through the North Pole.. Seen it on European-HK flights as well as US flights...
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:46 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
IME, the polar route is more common on JFK-HKG than on HKG-JFK, although others will chime in with more data points. The precise routing can vary day by day based on winds and other weather conditions.
I concur. Same on JFK-BKK on TG when it existed. Flights to Tokyo also go way farther north vs. the return. Primary reason is riding the jet stream on the return to North America. This is a much more southern route. Generally direct across the Pacific.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
I have seen it on a CO flight EWR-HKG, which uses the Polar Route. Saw it while still over northern Canada, so flying north. I was sitting on the right side, but I don't think it matters.

Anyhow, the light appeared just higher than we were, maybe 10-20 degrees above. So, you don't need to look up. Just look "out".
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:16 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Have seen them from the ground in Fairbanks - and read TRs of people having seen them from positions a lot more down south from the air.

To the OP - absolutely worth staying up for if there's a decent shot at a sighting.

Self and my 'make it warmer' wife made a trek from Sunny Singapore all the way up to Fairbanks, and even further north (Cold Foot) last year. -35C, feeling like -55 due to wind wasn't pleasant but every bit worth the effort.

Couldn't, then, gather the will to take off one of the layers of glove to get my camera out and click, but the mid-drive view that we got was perhaps the most surreal and magical natural spectacles that we've ever seen.

Last edited by jagmeets; Jan 27, 2015 at 6:21 am
Old Mar 23, 2016, 5:47 pm

Northern Lights Visible Late March on CX 831 or 841?

Hey all,

Flying JFK > HKG on CX soon...currently on CX 831 (AA award tix so can change)

Have always dreamed of seeing the Northern lights on this polar route.

Has anyone seen the lights from the plane i guess...ever, but more specifically on either one of those routes this time of year?

I suspect 841 too light outside? 831 maybe but probably not?

Just curious. I've only done 831 once and was my face was plastered to the window the entire time looking at the incredible arctic scenery. Can only imagine if the northern lights were added!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.