Search

Rumor: MPC will go way of PPS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2015, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Rumor: MPC will go way of PPS

I've just heard this from a friend (in HK) who knows someone at CX that MPC will change to the way how SQ's PPS works.. and that Asiamiles will change to how KF is.

Which means that MPC status will be revenue based on J/F tickets and the miles earned will go to Asiamiles where it will have a tiered system like KF. MPC was like this in the 90s where the MPC was based on revenue in J/F class and miles banked to Passages.

So for people who earns miles in economy class, they might lose MPC and be pushed to Asiamiles' new tiered system. I don't know if Asiamiles will have OW Ruby, Sapphire or Emerald status. But apparently CX is looking at all options.

Maybe CX will allow people to double dib like PPS then.

Apparently CX will unveil or start this in 2016...

Old Jan 8, 2015, 9:35 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Just read that some US airlines are changing to revenue based program... seems this is the industry trend...

I think probably DM+ will get public (to make MPC a 5-tier system), make it a DM meeting revenue target, GR 4-sector requirement get enforced with maybe 5000 miles requirement, and maybe add revenue target for GO and DM as well....

OW R, S, E probably will remains with SL, GO and DM / DM+...
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:04 am

Wow... very sad for the average, economy class leisure traveler like me.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by CX HK
Wow... very sad for the average, economy class leisure traveler like me.
No, I think Asiamiles will get status based on the miles you fly eg like other normal programmes. But MPC's privileges will need some sort of revenue in F/J.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
It is the industry trend worldwide to move to a revenue based system.
In most cases, miles earning and status earning are based on different parameters.
MPC is currentlyl geared towards Y flyers with ridiculous bonuses for J/F tickets. My guess is that it will be more difficult to get DM for Y flyers and easier for J flyers, a worldwide trend.

Last edited by brunos; Jan 8, 2015 at 10:46 am
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sscywong
Just read that some US airlines are changing to revenue based program... seems this is the industry trend...

I think probably DM+ will get public (to make MPC a 5-tier system), make it a DM meeting revenue target, GR 4-sector requirement get enforced with maybe 5000 miles requirement, and maybe add revenue target for GO and DM as well....

OW R, S, E probably will remains with SL, GO and DM / DM+...
DL (from January 1, 2015) and UA (from March 1, 2015) have gone to revenue based earning for redeemable miles, but status mile calculations and elite qualification are still as before, except that a (very reasonable for now, IMO) revenue requirement has been added, the equivalent to ten cents per mile in 2014. It remains to be seen whether this will do anything to thin the elite herd.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 12:27 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
If they are going to follow SQ, here's a brief description of Krisflyer/ PPS Solitaire. Please correct if wrong.

PPS Solitaire is their highest tier equivalent to DM.

PPS Solitaire is given when you spend SGD 250,000 or USD 188,000 with 5 consecutive years of PPS club membership.

After reaching that amount, renewing will be SGD 25,000 or USD 18,800 at the end of the 12 month period. If you exceed the amount spent for the year, the excess amount will be rolled over for the following year.

The PPS value ONLY applies for SQ and MI flights.

mckerrow, thank you for the correction. Please refer below.

Last edited by 77W_12A; Jan 8, 2015 at 1:19 pm Reason: correction.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: CX DM, DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by gemini573
If they are going to follow SQ, here's a brief description of Krisflyer/ PPS Solitaire. Please correct if wrong.

PPS Solitaire is their highest tier equivalent to DM.

PPS Solitaire is given when you spend SGD 250,000 or USD 188,000 with 5 consecutive years of PPS club membership.

After reaching that amount, renewing will be SGD 25,000 or USD 18,800 at the end of the 12 month period. If you exceed the amount spent for the year, the excess amount will be rolled over for the following year.

The PPS value ONLY applies for SQ and MI flights.
There are two tiers for PPS Club --

PPS Club Member: Accrue a PPS Value of S$25,000 within a period of 12 consecutive months. To renew PPS Club membership each year, a PPS Value of S$25,000 at the end of the 12-month period of your PPS Club membership year is required.

Solitaire PPS Club Member: Accrue a cumulative PPS Value of S$250,000 within five consecutive years of PPS Club membership. To renew Solitaire PPS Club membership each year, a PPS Value of S$25,000 at the end of the 12-month period of your Solitaire PPS Club membership year is required.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
This strikes me as eminently sensible. The customer that is most valuable to the airline is the customer that provides the most money to the bottom line, plain and simple.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:26 pm

So... push loyal Y fliers elsewhere, hoping for more satisfied J fliers, we'll see how it works in the long run.

Y-only airlines around the world are happy, and flourishing....
Old Jan 8, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
So... push loyal Y fliers elsewhere, hoping for more satisfied J fliers, we'll see how it works in the long run.

Y-only airlines around the world are happy, and flourishing....
...and stay in business without offering generous perks like lounge access, seat guarantees and so on to their most frequent flyers. Given the large number of seats CX manages to fill on every flight with non-status pax (to judge by the huge lines of people who aren't even MPO green in the regular economy queues) I think it's time to re-align assumptions about what a carrier does and doesn't need to do to fill Y. FT is a highly skewed sample.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:54 pm

Really bad for progression
A lot of people start out as Y only and then become loyal to CX and as their business/career progress start flying J. Simply due to CX loyalty.

Having a full economy matters, it allows airlines to operate hubs with many frequencies.
Chicago reduction just proves economy matters
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: QFF SG, VA SL, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kachjc
Really bad for progression
A lot of people start out as Y only and then become loyal to CX and as their business/career progress start flying J. Simply due to CX loyalty.

Having a full economy matters, it allows airlines to operate hubs with many frequencies.
Chicago reduction just proves economy matters
This really depends on how CX is managing its revenue to maximise profits - traditionally I believe they make their money up front and Y is simply there to break even/not lose money. So it isn't alway necessary to fly a full Y cabin as long as across all classes a route is profitable.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:36 pm

Yup but once you stay losing y passengers you eventually lose business passengers - look at what is happening to CX on regional routes, if Y passengers more are no benefit of CX ( lounge etc) flying LCC seems reasonable
CX will have to then cut regional frequencies...
Like they did at Chicago
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Damn-CX was indeed my backup plan
In this case may as well become a free agent-loyalty will be of no use considering I rarely carry a lot of baggage and I have priority pass on multiple credit cards.
They can already get the budget conscious traveller through S/N/O/Q fare (i.e. there is a fare to MNL from YVR that has a 40CAD round trip discount for booking into S class instead of V.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.