Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: MPC will go way of PPS

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Lack of news anything from CX is kind of pathetic.

Originally Posted by sxc
So for those of you who hit diamond at around 6 months into your membership year, if they make diamond harder to attain so that you end up hitting diamond at 9-10 months, would that make you more likely to be happy with CX? You are still getting to diamond but others get shut out.

I would expect it's people like this that CX want to make the program more attractive to.
I think instead of screwing with the mileage system into a pure revenue one, require say 50% mileage and sectors must be done on CX/KA (like JL/NH). To get DM someone would need 120,000 miles and at least 40 sectors OR 80 sectors and at least 60,000 miles. This would force people to actually fly CX/KA and credit to them instead of just crediting other programs to MPO.

If they want to make it harder to get DM, raise the requirement to 160,000 miles and 100 sectors, but introduce real benefits like upgrade vouchers. A loyalty program needs to go both ways.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by GE90-115B
Y+ is a gateway to upgrade to J. Those with points to spend consider the extra $1000 as a way to grab a J seat.
Not at the silly prices that I saw for HKG LHR. Upgradeable PEY over HK$33k vs QR D at HK$31k.

Last edited by KACommuter; Jan 19, 2015 at 10:28 pm
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:10 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by KACommuter
Not at the silly prices that I saw fro HKG LHR. Upgrade able PEY over HK$33k vs QR D at HK$31k.
I just reviewed Y vs PEY fares to Syd over Easter (2-7 Apr):

Y: $6,070(S) - $8,100(L)
PEY: $13,640(E) - 17,470(W)

(more expensive fare is required for night flights on 2 Apr - conveniently it also shows what we need to pay for upgrade).

PEY is 216%-225% (116%-125% more) of Y, for 38% more room. Massive buck for not so much bang.

And even splurging for 17K is no guarantee J will show up. It's like paying 4K for a J lottery ticket!

I wonder since PEY is really just more space, can one simply buy two Y seats. Costs less than flying PEY in both instances.
How to book two Y seats tho - make a booking under Ted E. Bear? Or Panda A. Panda?
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by percysmith
I just reviewed Y vs PEY fares to Syd over Easter (2-7 Apr):

Y: $6,070(S) - $8,100(L)
PEY: $13,640(E) - 17,470(W)

(more expensive fare is required for night flights on 2 Apr - conveniently it also shows what we need to pay for upgrade).

PEY is 216%-225% (116%-125% more) of Y, for 38% more room. Massive buck for not so much bang.

And even splurging for 17K is no guarantee J will show up. It's like paying 4K for a J lottery ticket!

I wonder since PEY is really just more space, can one simply buy two Y seats. Costs less than flying PEY in both instances.
How to book two Y seats tho - make a booking under Ted E. Bear? Or Panda A. Panda?
Actually you don't even need to pay the full fare for a second seat. Many people buy second seats for say their musical instruments that cannot be checked in or put in overhead compartment. Or people who want a guaranteed second seat to curl up and sleep. I know my uncle once upon a time ago used to do that (he's short). Mind you, he's rich enough to charter the whole plane if he wants to but he flies economy !

CX may be banking on the fact that perhaps people don't want to fly MH - cos MH's J class fares are HK$ 21,376 incl tax.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:31 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Actually you don't even need to pay the full fare for a second seat. Many people buy second seats for say their musical instruments that cannot be checked in or put in overhead compartment. Or people who want a guaranteed second seat to curl up and sleep. I know my uncle once upon a time ago used to do that (he's short). Mind you, he's rich enough to charter the whole plane if he wants to but he flies economy !
But I probably have to get a TA to do this? Or CX phone agent?

CX may be banking on the fact that perhaps people don't want to fly MH - cos MH's J class fares are HK$ 21,376 incl tax.
Still forming the butt of jokes I'm afraid.

I was asked by a mate to help him fly back from HKG to SYD on 25-26/1. He couldn't have picked a worse weekend to fly back, all I can initially find was AK-D7 for paid airfare and HKG-(CX)KUL-(MH)BNE or DRW-(QF)SYD for redemption. I prefaced the results "after you crash over water would you like to have your body found or not?"

Eventually I found him a redemption HKG-(CX)BNE-(overnight stay required)(QF)SYD for 25/1. The hold is due tomorrow, what are my chances of pushing the deadline beyond T-4? He's still holding out for direct.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:45 pm

Y+ is a gateway to upgrade to J. Those with points to spend consider the extra $1000 as a way to grab a J seat.
But for this to work you need to make sure PEY is actually sold out, which in EWR's case like I've said it barely sells more than 3-6 pax per leg!!! It's pathetic!!!

I'm only doing it because it's on company dime. No way would any logical sane human being pay extra $1000 USD for just a little bit more space.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:14 pm

Programs: BA GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, BONVOY L/T GOLD,
Depending how this goes, I suspect there may be some Star Alliance (or even One World - though less likely) status match offers. A good opportunity to get some reliable spenders in their programmes.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:15 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Quote:

I think its the price difference between Y and PEY. Most people cannot justify paying between V and PEY. The difference can be as much as $1000 on long haul flights.

Paid up for an R fare once- won't do it again unless CX starts opening up award inventory like they used to. (This was for upgrades requested well in advance, at a time when loadings were reasonably light).
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:39 am

Easiest solution that would bring them into line with the rest of Oneworld is to cut benefits for Silver members, especially lounge access.

I do find it a particularly off putting FFP program in all honesty. My other half has a US$75k travel budget and struggles to make Diamond. Meanwhile I can make the BA equivalent with ease for about 1/5 of that. Then at the other end of the scale I can qualify for lounge access and priority boarding with a couple of cheap economy long hauls. There is very little consistency, or incentive to book premium cabins.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:39 am

Programs: AZ FA+, BA & UA Gold
Originally Posted by QRC3288
Another thing I've noticed, is CX's Y fares around Asia are very cheap. I mean, they're absurdly cheap. I can't remember finding fares like this before 3-4 years ago. Even when I'm looking at business trips to SIN or PVG, I mean I'm finding $1k HKD fares, $1.4k HKD fares....is this normal? I kinda think this is related to our issue.
Yeah I'm really not a big fan of the O fare fire sales that happen far ahead, while V availability is getting pinched pretty badly as CX knows it can sell you L/M/K instead if you want to switch closer to date of departure or peak seasons.

On the other hand, they have tons of capacity around Asia and they need to fill these seats to justify the frequencies they provide to biz travelers. And these seats aren't going to fill themselves at a legacy carrier price tier. Also for everyone not flying to HKG, a transit is involved and lower prices are needed too.

What you say is true. CX is gunning for a LCC mixed with premium classes, propped by economies of scale, while AM is gunning to open up much more via manufactured spend than actual mileage (they've just added Maybank for example)- and I suspect CX award availability is going to be a PITA to push spending towards "lifestyle" outlets instead.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 5:22 am

HKG to SIN in J at 1k HKD? I would be keen!
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by phol
Easiest solution that would bring them into line with the rest of Oneworld is to cut benefits for Silver members, especially lounge access.
Is that a OW standard? I don't think so. AY, MH and QR all offer their MPC SL equivalents lounge access.

My impression is that it's just BA that doesn't. AA and QF are outliers by having subscription based lounge access.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by KACommuter
Is that a OW standard? I don't think so. AY, MH and QR all offer their MPC SL equivalents lounge access.

My impression is that it's just BA that doesn't. AA and QF are outliers by having subscription based lounge access.
Only CX, AY, RJ and QR give full lounge access to Ruby level members.

AB, BA, IB, LA, S7, UL, JJ and US don't give it at all, the rest are chargeable/with restrictions.

Oneworld Ruby as a tier doesn't offer it.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by phol
Only CX, AY, RJ and QR give full lounge access to Ruby level members.

AB, BA, IB, LA, S7, UL, JJ and US don't give it at all, the rest are chargeable/with restrictions.

Oneworld Ruby as a tier doesn't offer it.
How about restrict SL lounge access to club miles / sector eligible class i.e. V and above? But probably this won't resolve morning peak lounge congestion... Or no Wing access for SL on Y during morning peak hours...
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by tboons
HKG to SIN in J at 1k HKD? I would be keen!
Business trips doesn't mean J

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.