Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New Bangkok Lounge (Opened June 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Bangkok Lounge (Opened June 2015)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by kkl
11 made to order dishes? Only saw 4 or 5 at the noodle bar 2 days ago
They had numerous made to order dishes today. I did not count but 11 seems about right. Just two noodle soups. But the food was excellent and so was the cold buffer (remarkable chicken terrine). Quality is better than in HKG J lounges, but few noodle soup choices. And still the Ozzie sparkling Chandon.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Update

Originally Posted by Ausriver
Which CX J lounge at HKG has 11 made to order dishes? Not to mention the portion and taste of them are great.
My food experience at the lounge was pretty different. What did you order from the noodle bar?

Originally Posted by fakecd
are you serious? compared to hkg? u obviously have not stepped foot on HND CX lounge?
^^
I've personally not been to HND CX lounge (I hope to visit soon!) but it would take quite a feat for any CX Lounge to top the ones in HKG!

Originally Posted by Alawyer
Updates after two visits this weekend
- No more champagne. You have a choice of Ozzie Chandon Brut or Rose (Brut is better)
- Avoid between 9-11am. No seats due to BA/QF hordes. You can always try the JAL lounge before 10am and after 6pm.
- Pad Thai has gone off a bit. The dan-dan noodles is still inedible.
- They swapped the Aesop tolietries for a generic bottle on one visit. Available on others.
I got to the lounge at about 9.30am & I managed to get a seat by the window. It did slowly start to fill up but it was never completely full as passengers came & left quite steadily.
Perhaps also because I was there on a Sat. morning.
JAL lounge is pretty inaccessible due to their restricted opening hours but I would love to try that some day.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Cool My BKK experience @ 9/23

I was in the BKK lounge 2 weeks ago, and these are my observations (having been to & comparing them to the awesome HKG & TPE lounges + MNL as well) -

1. Not quite sure the 11 or so crab fried rice, pad thai dishes are really "made to order" in the true sense. Perhaps with the exception of the (wanton) noodle soups, and even then those have already been prepped in the main central kitchen and the noodles are just popped into hot water before the cooks/kitchen staff add wantons & soup. The meat buns are just steamed and served hot. I personally did not try the fried rice or pad Thai but I'd be surprised if each individual portion was cooked ala minute.
It seems the fried rice & noodle dishes kept coming out of the back kitchen pretty quickly.
It would be awesome if someone who is headed to the BKK lounge take a picture of the menu at the noodle bar just for reference.

2. In terms of quality, I think the noodle bars in HKG & TPE beat BKK hands down. The wantons, meat buns (char siew baos) and the siew mai taste like the frozen supermarket brands & they were just simply re-heated. There were no shrimps in the wantons (meat filling instead) which is not HKG style wanton noodles & the broth isn't tasty.

3. Still serving Chandon Brut & Rose, which is perfectly drink-able. In this instance, HKG lounges are better

4. Did not partake in the cold buffet in BKK or HKG lounges so I cannot comment on that.
But the hot (Western) buffet in HKG lounges is awesome, and offer a lot of variety. Did not notice any hot food buffet at the BKK lounge, only hot food items served at the noodle bar.

Overall an excellent lounge, but in this case, I would eat really good local Thai food in the city before heading to the airport.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Originally Posted by kaffir76
I've personally not been to HND CX lounge (I hope to visit soon!) but it would take quite a feat for any CX Lounge to top the ones in HKG!
My favourite outstation combined lounge especially when you are in a time between CX flights and you are the only person! Great staff and amazing runway views.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Just a general statement.
CX has made a real effort to improve outstations lounges. Compared to a few years ago, I find LHR-CDG-BKK-HND excellent lounges. Bravo CX.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC, AA Exec Plat
Does anyone know the up to date opening times for the CX lounge at BKK?

In particualar, if it is open past 630pm? The oneworld site says it is 3 nights per week (to 1am), CX website says not. I can't see any late night CX flights it would stay open for, but maybe I have missed something.

Am flying JL late tomorrow night (Thurs) and would much prefer to use the CX lounge!
Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by justin1123
Does anyone know the up to date opening times for the CX lounge at BKK?

In particualar, if it is open past 630pm? The oneworld site says it is 3 nights per week (to 1am), CX website says not. I can't see any late night CX flights it would stay open for, but maybe I have missed something.

Am flying JL late tomorrow night (Thurs) and would much prefer to use the CX lounge!
It did use to stay open late, three or four nights a week, for a (seasonal) post-midnight departure, but I don't think that operates any more.
Last flight tomorrow (Thurs) is 18:50.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 6:30 am
R2

Originally Posted by brunos
Just a general statement.
CX has made a real effort to improve outstations lounges. Compared to a few years ago, I find LHR-CDG-BKK-HND excellent lounges. Bravo CX.
I agree and it's great. The biggest improvement has to be MNL where the previous lounge was a complete dump and the new one is on par with the one in BKK.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: JL JGC
just visited the cx lounge after escaping the very crowded jl sakura lounge this morning. so thanks for the info in this thread.
imo, cx has better selection of food, seating, and interestingly is closer to the gate for my jl flight.

fyi, the noodle bar had 4 hot breakfast options (wonton noodle, crab meat fried rice, egg bennedict and rice porridge with chicken meat) and 3 dim sum menu (pork bun, shrimp/pork siau may, & sago dumpling)
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:04 pm

Two friends are flying BKK-HKG-JFK with 1J and 1F on CX. I know they will have access to CX lounge but are they allowed to bring in 1 free guest (Flying CA?) Thanks.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yoyo
Two friends are flying BKK-HKG-JFK with 1J and 1F on CX. I know they will have access to CX lounge but are they allowed to bring in 1 free guest (Flying CA?) Thanks.
No, since CA is not part of oneworld.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
No, since CA is not part of oneworld.
No, because J pax without status don't have guesting privileges.

Secondarily no, because the guest isn't flying on a OW airline.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
No, because J pax without status don't have guesting privileges.

Secondarily no, because the guest isn't flying on a OW airline.
Hmmm... question: 1 J award ticket owner can get into CX lounge by definition. The F pax is only F on HKG-JFK segment (ticket BKK-HKG-JFK) since there is no F service BKK-JFK and he is also without any status (CX or OW). Can this F pax bring in OW guest in BKK?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Hmmm... question: 1 J award ticket owner can get into CX lounge by definition. The F pax is only F on HKG-JFK segment (ticket BKK-HKG-JFK) since there is no F service BKK-JFK and he is also without any status (CX or OW). Can this F pax bring in OW guest in BKK?
Officially not, but you can try asking nicely.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Officially not, but you can try asking nicely.
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...dmittance.html

I just did some checking myself and found the above link. What do you mean by official not? Is it due to capacity control?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.