Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

New Bangkok Lounge (Opened June 2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 1:12 am

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW
I was happy to attend the preview. I believe it's the best lounge I've seen in years in Bangkok!

Ok, there is no shower, so it may be an issue for a BA pax...but when it comes to Cathay, for a regional lounge...here is the list....nice fresh food cooked to order, plus salad bar...

And...same champagne as in HK and Brancott Pinot Noir and Sauvignon Blanc...when we know what is available in other lounges, and in Thai Airways lounges! No need for more comments...

Don't believe it will be overcrowded....as there seems to have only one BA flight leaving at 11.40am...not really a shower hour neither!

Good job on this one Cathay! And the preview was a truly fun experience!
Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
I am looking forward to trying this out in August!
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
Originally Posted by maisondubonheur
I was happy to attend the preview. I

Don't believe it will be overcrowded....as there seems to have only one BA flight leaving at 11.40am...not really a shower hour neither!

Good job on this one Cathay! And the preview was a truly fun experience!
Its a nice improvement although to be honest I do believe it will get overcrowded. I was in there yesterday around 10am to 11am and it was pretty packed with only a flight to Singapore and Hong Kong. I believe the BA flight was not running yesterday.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:15 pm
Suspended

Looks great! Looking forward to Pier and YVR's upgrade.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Currently sat in the new lounge, it's excellent. Very telling.
I've posted a write up with photos over on the BA board:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24963821-post119.html
Old Jun 13, 2015, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by matthandy
Currently sat in the new lounge, it's excellent. Very telling.
I've posted a write up with photos over on the BA board:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24963821-post119.html
Cool, thanks. Did you snap any pics of their food offerings? Is it buffet or menu a la carte style?
Old Jun 13, 2015, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
There is a small buffet area 'the deli' which has a small selection of cold items, canapes, salads etc. The main food offering is in the noodle bar where it is made to order. From memory there was a selection of dumplings and buns and some noodles as well as a western option too.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by matthandy
There is a small buffet area 'the deli' which has a small selection of cold items, canapes, salads etc. The main food offering is in the noodle bar where it is made to order. From memory there was a selection of dumplings and buns and some noodles as well as a western option too.
Perfect, thanks.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: CX Green | UA Silver | Marriott Lifetime Platinum | Hyatt Globalist | Hilton Gold | AA EXP
Originally Posted by sxc
Damn. Now it's going to be crowded with BA and QF pax.
Do you think CX may/will impose capacity control at certain times during the day (i.e. similar to what BA does at some of its lounges here in the US) and direct non-CX passengers to their airlines' respective lounges? I don't think I ever read CX does such thing but I wonder about this lounge as it sounds like every OWS/OWE flying out of BKK will descend to this lounge. I think CX has 8 (or 9?) flights a day so it is going to be crowded as is with its own passengers.

Last edited by Rivarix; Jun 16, 2015 at 2:48 pm
Old Jun 16, 2015, 5:42 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by Rivarix
Do you think CX may/will impose capacity control at certain times during the day (i.e. similar to what BA does at some of its lounges here in the US) and direct non-CX passengers to their airlines' respective lounges? I don't think I ever read CX does such thing but I wonder about this lounge as it sounds like every OWS/OWE flying out of BKK will descend to this lounge. I think CX has 8 (or 9?) flights a day so it is going to be crowded as is with its own passengers.
I think they have up to 11 flights if you include SIN and CMB. It wouldn't surprise me if they do control capacity. Let's say you're taking the BA flight to LHR at 11 am. You have two flights to HKG and one to SIN between the hours of 8 am to noon.

What's strange to me is how HND has such a big lounge (190 capacity) when they have 2 daily and 1 with KA. Nonetheless, I'm very happy BKK has a much improved lounge offering.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:04 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
The bkk lounge is 2 steps above previous one. Its hidden awaybin level 3 near G concourse with limited signage. Went in around 1pm on weekday. Lounge was maybe 1/3 full even flights are full. Didnt feel cramped or struggled for seats

Food offering
Noodle bar is welcome addition. It has wonton noodle, fish noodle with tom yong soup, curry with rice, and pad thai. The series of dim sum (whatever). I opted for pad thai and tom young soup... As with any lounge food it serves purpose of eating OK food but it wont be your hotel offering... In fact the soup was so plain and sour lacked creamy coconut texture. Plenty of seating... perhaps counted 15-20 tables for 2 or 4, and 2 large communial table with 10 seats. PROBLEM: service is slow they are still getting used to it... I was the only order waited 10minutes for my food... If this gets busy it will be ugly.

deli area
Next to noodle bar you have small deli area. Offering is smll. Celery salad, spicy noodle salad, lettuce, and fruit salad. There are many standup tables like you find at bars so its a quick grab and go area

Lounge area
Similar size to Bridge lounge on left hand side excluding coffee loft. All mini tables have electric socket with HK style plug power wont be an issue. Couch is comfy. There is bar area to order alcohol and coffee.. Wine was not on table you have to ask for it

Facility
2 PC (apple mac) like in hk. Toilet in the lounge which is handy. But i didnt see disabled toilet or baby section. Background music is some R&B not lounge music. Wifi on offer. Plenty of newspaper but not premium paper like FT or WSJ.

Conclusion:
IT does the job but wouldnt come early just for lounge. 1H is plenty.... Also as an aside when i was there some business dudes were discussing rather sensitive issues (hkee and gweilou)... Maybe because i dressed in shorts and t shirt... Dont underestimate whos around you... I had fun listening to some stuff i can only hear behind the Chinese Wall in office....
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:39 am

Programs: CX DM, QF PL
Originally Posted by fakecd
I opted for pad thai and tom young soup. In fact the soup was so plain and sour lacked creamy coconut texture.
Actually Tom Yum soup doesn't have coconut in it:
"Tom yum or tom yam is a Lao and Thai, clear, spicy and sour soup. Tom yum is widely served in neighbouring countries such as Cambodia, Brunei, Malaysia and Singapore, and has been popularised around the world. Wikipedia"
Old Jun 17, 2015, 2:18 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by insideman
Actually Tom Yum soup doesn't have coconut in it:
"Tom yum or tom yam is a Lao and Thai, clear, spicy and sour soup. Tom yum is widely served in neighbouring countries such as Cambodia, Brunei, Malaysia and Singapore, and has been popularised around the world. Wikipedia"
Yes. Tom Kha is the creamy coconut version.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: CX Marco Polo Club, Virgin Flying Club
Good lounge, poor food

It's a good lounge with plenty of space (and toilets).

But the food was very disappointing. When I visited (at lunchtime) the buffet had some salad leaves (with oil and vinegar available), and two Thai salads. Later there were two types of sandwiches available. It seems to be more 'fancy' but with less choice than before.

I didn't personally try the food from the noodle bar, but service was slow and I was told it wasn't great.

At the bar, the only nuts available were spicy peanuts. There was nothing wrong with the 'Tong Garden' brand they previously provided!!
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Marriott Silver Elite

Having been in there this morning while waiting for the BA flight, it was noticeable that there were very few seats available. Much more
crowded than the old BA lounge. Food was ok, quite nice scrambled eggs, some cereal etc. But we left after about half an hour due to the overcrowded nature of the lounge. The other negative was that most of the tables in the food area are directly under the air conditioning so both you and the food get cold very quickly!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.