Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever had the whole cabin to yourself

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2014, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Have an upcoming trip on the 77G, I'm seated in the rear mini-cabin of J. At the moment it looks like I will be the only one in the cabin, and I think there's a good chance it will stay empty (or nearly empty) since the flight is relatively soon and the loads for all classes are very light.

So can anyone chime in on what it's like to have the whole cabin to yourself on a long haul flight? I've never done this before and just want to know what to expect. I wonder if the FA's will constantly peak through the curtain like a hawk periodically to check on me since I'm the only one in the entire cabin. Upside is that service should be more attentive I assume.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by GE90-115B
Have an upcoming trip on the 77G, I'm seated in the rear mini-cabin of J. At the moment it looks like I will be the only one in the cabin, and I think there's a good chance it will stay empty (or nearly empty) since the flight is relatively soon and the loads for all classes are very light.

So can anyone chime in on what it's like to have the whole cabin to yourself on a long haul flight? I've never done this before and just want to know what to expect. I wonder if the FA's will constantly peak through the curtain like a hawk periodically to check on me since I'm the only one in the entire cabin. Upside is that service should be more attentive I assume.
1.) Yes, I've had large "mini" cabin (77G/33G) to myself before (not to be confused with "the" mini-cabin on 77H, which I have never seen empty in my life). I've had this situation once on 77G and twice on 33G, all on overnight flights.

2.) You should expect the ISM might allow the crew to rest in that area, just fyi. This is a frequent procedure on 77G and 33G when the J class loading is very light. IIRC, at check-in, sometimes they will re-assign your seat to the front or ask you to move to the front and tell you the back section is closed. If you insist on staying, you probably just don't want to get your expectations up that the cabin will definitely be empty.

Last edited by QRC3288; Dec 6, 2014 at 10:06 pm
Old Dec 6, 2014, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

I hope they won't forcefully put me in a D/G seat if they decide to close off the rear cabin and all window seats are taken...
Old Dec 6, 2014, 11:19 pm

I had 744 upper deck to myself, but on a rather short sector, TPE/HKG. SP gave me two main courses to satisfy my picture taking, other than that, nothing special.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by jerrywu
I had 744 upper deck to myself, but on a rather short sector, TPE/HKG. SP gave me two main courses to satisfy my picture taking, other than that, nothing special.
You do know that you can have multiple main courses - for eating not just photo taking - not just when you have the entire cabin to yourself, right?

I personally have had a mini cabin to myself once. I found it, er, a little... spooky.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 11:47 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
You do know that you can have multiple main courses - for eating not just photo taking - not just when you have the entire cabin to yourself, right?

I personally have had a mini cabin to myself once. I found it, er, a little... spooky.
No, I did not know that one, but, I hardly find myself hungry still right after the main course. I do, however, have the need of a snack occasionally during the long haul ones.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 12:14 am

I once had TPAC F to myself. Another seat for my bed. Another seat for my meal. Another seat for when i changed into my pajamas. I felt like Auric Goldfinger.

And the meal service was out of control. Extra caviar. Extra salmon. Still more caviar and salmon with my eggs. Surf and Turf. Fresh berries and cream throughout the flight.

If only I had been in the movie Groundhog Day.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 1:22 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by Orwaid
I once had TPAC F to myself. Another seat for my bed. Another seat for my meal. Another seat for when i changed into my pajamas. I felt like Auric Goldfinger.

And the meal service was out of control. Extra caviar. Extra salmon. Still more caviar and salmon with my eggs. Surf and Turf. Fresh berries and cream throughout the flight.

If only I had been in the movie Groundhog Day.
ha, yes being the only passenger in 747 F is a wonderful experience. But I think the situation with the OP is slightly different than this, given he's in J class and it's a pretty common practice to let the FAs sleep there in the big mini-cabin on 77G and 33G. FAs were never allowed to sleep in the F cabin (although CX used to allow pilots to sleep in 4A and 4K on the 74K).

To the OP: I highly doubt they'll force you to a D or G seat, but just remember if somehow they try to force it on you, you can politely push back and say you'd like to keep your original seat assignment. Even if they say "it's closed", which the EWR staff tried on me 6 months ago, just push back and they'll let you sit there. Be polite but firm I am sure they'll let you sit there, don't worry. The only reason they "close" it is to keep it for the FAs, because they think the crew will bother passengers. Ultimately the EWR staff asked me if I was comfortable being in the back mini-cabin in the event the FAs slept there, which I said wouldn't bother me at all. And as I alluded to above, the FAs are on average IME more polite and quieter than fellow passengers would be. I have heard a few bad stories on here, but overall my experience is that fellow passengers have the capacity to be ruder cabinmates than FAs.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 3:50 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
I was the only pax in F from BKK to SIN a few years ago. Pity I was suffering from a rather nasty stomach bug and could only drink water.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 3:57 am

I remember a few years ago, I had the entire Business Class cabin to myself on a regional A330 from BKK-HKG. It was Chinese New Year then.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 4:21 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
once November 2012, when doing a HKG-SIN-HKG mile run on J on CX715/714 combo, the CX715 was chocker full being popular 8pm depart, 714 return was 1:30am totally different story... I had myself on upper deck ... so when I boarded trying to go upstair, the FA asked if it was "ok" for me to sit in main cabin... i said no problems i was gonna only sleep anyways and asked where my seat is... she said well main cabin on this side of asile, it's just you sir so sit wheever you want...

so technically I never got the empty cabin to myself but that cx714 was something to remember being told sit whever u like... the FA kept trying to serve me (pax/FA ratio was like 1:2 i think) but too bad I was only sleeping... they felt bad all I did was sleep and they didn't get to entertain me.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:49 am

Programs: QF WP
I once was the lone pax on the upper deck on CX714 as well, and the cabin crew insisted that I take the seat on the upper deck. It was quite eerie, and it didn't help that it was the coffin config. I was also on the upper deck the next sector with an extremely light load, and I requested for a main cabin seat after boarding...

On another SIN-HKG flight, there was a sub a few days prior to departure. One pax found his way into the Y+ cabin that wasn't there before, and he was the only pax there for the flight.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
I've been F alone several times on regional flights - both CX and KA.

Never tried it in J.

Actually I prefer someone in the cabin with me - so that I don't feel I'm under surveillance by the crew!
Old Dec 7, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: NH Diamond, JL JGC Diamond, BA Gold Guest List(Gold for life), CX Diamond
Several years ago, I upgraded my HKG-LHR economy flight to buisiness by miles.
On 747 main deck, there are two passengers (including me seated in A, the other in K). CA said two more passengers on upper deck. CA said I can use one seat for dining and one seat for sleeping.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: CX Gold
Yes.... I felt so great

August, KA to Qingdao(TAO)
I was alone in business class hooray!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.