Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

Cathay knows how to treat a One World Emerald member

Cathay knows how to treat a One World Emerald member

Old Nov 7, 14, 9:20 am
  #1  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Singapore, Bangkok and Hong Kong
Programs: BA, Singapore
Posts: 75
Cathay knows how to treat a One World Emerald member

A few years ago I used to be Marco polo diamond but a friend pointed out that the BA programme was better for earning and attaining status so have have been a One World Emerald via BA ever since. I do a few BA flights every year but go out of my way to do Cathay long haul.

What happened this week is typical of Cathay and I think it should be mentioned on here especially as I see rightly that people are able to criticise Cathay when they get it wrong.

On Monday my daughter and I boarded a Sing-Hong Kong flight. The senior cabin person (black uniform) came to welcome me and ask would we like a bottle of water and ten looking at me said "perhaps a little stronger" and produced 2 glasses of champagne from business class. The service was excellent, the senior crew member came back and produced more wine, peanuts, ice cream etc.

Then returning on my own the check in lady said she was blocking the seat next to me and would I like an extra leg room emergency seat or further forward but not bulkhead? On arriving into the Wing F class lounge with a 3 hour wait the lady asked if I wanted to move to the earlier flight if she could get me into it? I moved and she blocked the seat beside me. Then I had the senior crew member do the water/drinks/service thing on board.

I mainly fly in business but the above is fairly typical of cathay whereas on BA seat blocking, flight changing, personal greeting backed up with water/wine tec is very rare.

Then add in the food, the odd upgrade and I have to say Cathay is excellent especially to somebody with a status on another airline.
NoY likes this.
Janeobarty is offline  
Old Nov 7, 14, 10:00 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: ITH, BOS, HKG, MEL
Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, SPG Plat, Hyatt DM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 1,737
+1. I think CX does an excellent job with treating OWEs and IME they're the best in the alliance
jona970318 is offline  
Old Nov 7, 14, 10:35 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: 32.7758 N, 96.7967 W
Programs: AA EXP,SPG 75
Posts: 318
+2. That is why Cathay got all of this OWE's long haul flying even if routing through them adds a little bit of travel time.
YouGeeElWhy is offline  
Old Nov 7, 14, 12:03 pm
  #4  
Moderator: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Posts: 8,168
CX does treat OWEs very well. Were you in economy that flight? Champagne and greeting by ISM were unusual though.
cxfan1960 is offline  
Old Nov 7, 14, 12:24 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: ITH, BOS, HKG, MEL
Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, SPG Plat, Hyatt DM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 1,737
Originally Posted by cxfan1960 View Post
CX does treat OWEs very well. Were you in economy that flight? Champagne and greeting by ISM were unusual though.
I've heard of ISM greetings, but Champagne or extra perks is VERY unusual, even for DMs
jona970318 is offline  
Old Nov 7, 14, 5:10 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,968
Originally Posted by jona970318 View Post
I've heard of ISM greetings, but Champagne or extra perks is VERY unusual, even for DMs
It really depends on ISM, if you get a friendly ISM you will get perks, if you get an indifferent ISM they will say hi and bye and you never see any difference.

Over the years I've been DM, here are the extra perks I've received (I've never asked for them, and keep in mind it's over the years so please don't expect all of this on your next flight):

J class snacked offered
PEY food offered
F class soup offered (Lobster Bisque)
Champagne or any beverages of my choosing from J class
J class fruits
on-board curtesy upgrade
pre-landing curtesy upgrade

that's what I can think of based on my past experiences, again keep in mind these things happened in years, i.e. over 50 long-haul flights
Cathay Boy is offline  
Old Nov 7, 14, 5:47 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: DFW
Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Posts: 2,012
Despite my username, when I fly First Class TransPac I go w/ CX rather than AA! :-)
AAJetMan is offline  
Old Nov 7, 14, 6:04 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: ITH, BOS, HKG, MEL
Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, SPG Plat, Hyatt DM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Posts: 1,737
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy View Post
It really depends on ISM, if you get a friendly ISM you will get perks, if you get an indifferent ISM they will say hi and bye and you never see any difference.

Over the years I've been DM, here are the extra perks I've received (I've never asked for them, and keep in mind it's over the years so please don't expect all of this on your next flight):

J class snacked offered
PEY food offered
F class soup offered (Lobster Bisque)
Champagne or any beverages of my choosing from J class
J class fruits
on-board curtesy upgrade
pre-landing curtesy upgrade

that's what I can think of based on my past experiences, again keep in mind these things happened in years, i.e. over 50 long-haul flights
You got F soup in Y? That must've been a really nice ISM
jona970318 is offline  
Old Nov 7, 14, 6:08 pm
  #9  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Singapore, Bangkok and Hong Kong
Programs: BA, Singapore
Posts: 75
Originally Posted by cxfan1960 View Post
CX does treat OWEs very well. Were you in economy that flight? Champagne and greeting by ISM were unusual though.
I probably use them about 4 times per year regionally in economy including this week. Yes the champagne was unusual but I always get a greeting and offered a bottle of evian. But it is the blocked seat and ease of shifting flights that are the real benefits over other One World operators who are usually very inflexible
Janeobarty is offline  
Old Nov 8, 14, 4:26 am
  #10  
Moderator: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Posts: 8,168
Originally Posted by Janeobarty View Post
I probably use them about 4 times per year regionally in economy including this week. Yes the champagne was unusual but I always get a greeting and offered a bottle of evian. But it is the blocked seat and ease of shifting flights that are the real benefits over other One World operators who are usually very inflexible
I don't know if the ISM still greets OWE in Y anymore. Usually the FPs for the cabin do that instead of the ISM.
cxfan1960 is offline  
Old Nov 8, 14, 4:39 am
  #11  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Singapore, Bangkok and Hong Kong
Programs: BA, Singapore
Posts: 75
Originally Posted by cxfan1960 View Post
I don't know if the ISM still greets OWE in Y anymore. Usually the FPs for the cabin do that instead of the ISM.
The lady with the black top?
Janeobarty is offline  
Old Nov 8, 14, 6:36 am
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Little dot on map
Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Posts: 25,746
I found that when the ISM is a woman, you get the nice gestures and friendly greetings. I have never ever been greeted when the ISM is a man, in any class. Perhaps they think they're too high and mighty for the job? Whereas on MH, the senior purser (man) came round and thanked everyone for flying with them (days before MH370 and MH 17).

My best experience as a OWE member was when I received a double upgrade from Y to F flying from HKG to LAX back in 2000.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Nov 8, 14 at 7:29 am
Guy Betsy is offline  
Old Nov 8, 14, 7:42 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SIN
Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Posts: 2,022
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
I found that when the ISM is a woman, you get the nice gestures and friendly greetings. I have never ever been greeted when the ISM is a man, in any class. Perhaps they think they're too high and mighty for the job? Whereas on MH, the senior purser (man) came round and thanked everyone for flying with them (days before MH370 and MH 17).

My best experience as a OWE member was when I received a double upgrade from Y to F flying from HKG to LAX back in 2000.
agree for the most part, though i have seen relatively young male ISM's come up and talk like 'buddies' like with a wink to the wife and a 'oh the boss is here - allright, we'll do our best!'.
jagmeets is online now  
Old Nov 8, 14, 8:56 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,468
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy View Post
It really depends on ISM, if you get a friendly ISM you will get perks, if you get an indifferent ISM they will say hi and bye and you never see any difference.

Over the years I've been DM, here are the extra perks I've received (I've never asked for them, and keep in mind it's over the years so please don't expect all of this on your next flight):

J class snacked offered
PEY food offered
F class soup offered (Lobster Bisque)
Champagne or any beverages of my choosing from J class
J class fruits
on-board curtesy upgrade
pre-landing curtesy upgrade

that's what I can think of based on my past experiences, again keep in mind these things happened in years, i.e. over 50 long-haul flights
What is a pre-landing upgrade? Is that being allowed to sit in a more forward cabin just prior to landing?

Agree that CX shows better elite recognition when I'm in steerage than my host program (AA).
Globehopper is offline  
Old Nov 8, 14, 10:01 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,968
Originally Posted by Globehopper View Post
What is a pre-landing upgrade? Is that being allowed to sit in a more forward cabin just prior to landing?

Agree that CX shows better elite recognition when I'm in steerage than my host program (AA).
Yes, after the second meal the ISM comes over and say I have the option to sit up for landing, of course I take it, moved up to an empty J seat, usually an hour left of the flight.
Cathay Boy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: