Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific Seat Selection for Emerald

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific Seat Selection for Emerald

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by CX828
Why is this so hard to understand? You booked into Economy. Therefore you are only entitled to Economy class seating.
You beat me to saying it ;-) As I have said on myriad previous occasions - if you want to fly in a premium cabin book a premium cabin!!!!
chitink likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: Finnair Plus Gold(OWS), IHG Gold(Plat Ambassador soon maybe), Accor Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CX828
Why is this so hard to understand? You booked into Economy. Therefore you are only entitled to Economy class seating.
Ah thanks for clarifying that. Before this day I was under the impression that OW sapphire would allow free seat selection at premium economy (like with Finnair). I seriously thought it was sapphires and up that were sitting there, sadly I was wrong... Preliminary seat blocking would be easy to implement coding wise if/as there is free seats in the plane.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Originally Posted by Ramitran
Ah thanks for clarifying that. Before this day I was under the impression that OW sapphire would allow free seat selection at premium economy (like with Finnair). I seriously thought it was sapphires and up that were sitting there, sadly I was wrong... Preliminary seat blocking would be easy to implement coding wise if/as there is free seats in the plane.
You are confused because Finnair does not provide Premium Economy.
It provides Economy with the option to pay for Economy Comfort seats within the economy cabin. This is very different to CX: which provides extra legroom (exit row/bulk head seats) in Economy class as well as another separate class called Premium Economy.

Finnair: Business Class, Economy Class
Cathay Pacific: First Class (some flights), Business Class, Premium Economy Class, Economy Class.
trooper and chitink like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Use avios to fly on KA - seat selection?

I am ow Emerald (AA EP).
I booked using BA avios (on BA site) a KA flight in Y. BA automatically assigned me a seat that I want to change.

After reading up-thread, still have questions?
1. Who to contact (BA or CX) to change seats and enter my AA FF # (to reflect status)?
2. Can this be done via email? if so where would I find it?

Thanks.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by allset2travel
I am ow Emerald (AA EP).
I booked using BA avios (on BA site) a KA flight in Y. BA automatically assigned me a seat that I want to change.

After reading up-thread, still have questions?
1. Who to contact (BA or CX) to change seats and enter my AA FF # (to reflect status)?
2. Can this be done via email? if so where would I find it?

Thanks.
You could manage your booking on CX website. Add your RL to your booking and then change. Can't guaranteed all seats will be available to you though.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
You could manage your booking on CX website. Add your RL to your booking and then change. Can't guaranteed all seats will be available to you though.
Thanks.

Yes, I did get to the seat map page. Only to see ALL seats (except mine) were blocked. Thought there might be another trick or tip.

Last edited by allset2travel; Mar 6, 2019 at 2:36 pm Reason: edit to add
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: BA GGL, GA PLAT, SQ Gold
Just booked two award tickets in PE and Y with BAEC on CX

i used to the booking code in Cathay and able to select Exit Seats with Y and the First Row on PE
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G, LH FTL, IHG Diamond
If not possible to change / select seats online I so far never had problems when calling CX directly (when on redemption bookings).
They have been always happy to reserve the seats I wanted (if still available of course).
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:16 am

Was told by CX agent that some PE seats are now reserved for R class fares.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Just called Cathay. I have a DFW-HKG-MNL flight booked, DFW-HKG on AA (with a hopeful points+$ upgrade) and then HKG-MNL on Cathay. They could see my AA# but were not able to allow me to pick seats for free even though I have AA-Plat/OW-Sapphire. They claimed they didn't see my status. Is this because my fare class is so low ("O"), or just ineptitude? The flight isn't so long that I really care too much (711 miles), but would prefer the exit row if possible.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:28 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
Just called Cathay. I have a DFW-HKG-MNL flight booked, DFW-HKG on AA (with a hopeful points+$ upgrade) and then HKG-MNL on Cathay. They could see my AA# but were not able to allow me to pick seats for free even though I have AA-Plat/OW-Sapphire. They claimed they didn't see my status. Is this because my fare class is so low ("O"), or just ineptitude? The flight isn't so long that I really care too much (711 miles), but would prefer the exit row if possible.
Can you access the booking on the CX website?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Ask CX to remove your FF number and add it again.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Even more strange, once in HKG, they could not add my AA number (and status) to my ticket. The same thing has happened to me numerous times flying LATAM in Colombia, I just chalked it up to their ineptitude but perhaps something is weird with my number/account.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Encountered a slightly different variation of this as I've got LAX-HKG-SIN, where HKG-SIN is an AA codeshare flight number. Used to be that I could select any seat in the app/website (including extra legroom) as an Emerald, even on an AA codeshare. Then about a year or two ago, I would get an error in the app/website to contact the operating carrier for seats, even though CX is the operating carrier. Still, I could call in and get any seat assigned.

Fast forward to today and the CX agent mentioned that seat assignments were chargeable and even with the Emerald charge waiver, I could only select standard seats.

Never encountered this before -- is it that the S, N, Q, O seat assignment charges now apply to AA codeshares as well (maybe I was just lucky with fare class before), or should I have tried to remove/reload my AA Emerald number? Are Emeralds still eligible for extra legroom seats even on those lower fare classes?
Old Oct 15, 2019, 10:19 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Call again. Doesn’t sound right. This is the policy:

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...room-seat.html
SpeedRicer and percysmith like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.