Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Fellow pax saves heart attack pax CX not grateful

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fellow pax saves heart attack pax CX not grateful

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:10 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
1. Great job by the two Canucks and the Aussie doctor.

2. I don't think Daily Mail got its facts right.

3. It takes two hours to divert on the polar route?

4. Poor form by CX - even though I'm sure the reward is not necessary they look incredibly petty for giving the two Canucks mere PE. Again shows the airline does what it can get away with as opposed to what is right.

(Though if I'm Goomber I won't mention the promise. Just state what he actually got).
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:23 pm

One has to wonder why CX promised and under delivered ? They had a golden opportunity to reward two exemplary pax who averted a tragedy.

They could have rewarded them as promised and put them in the in house magazine.

a question occurs to me, what did the doctor do during the two hours.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:08 pm

What's with today's CX culture of not empowering employees to show a token of appreciation ? You get SO MUCH more back from social media... like in THIS forum.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 9:11 pm

Monks attended to the heart attack passnger before the two Canucks, started with the CPR until Li took over so he can monitor the pax's airway, and then wrote it up for the British Medical Journal http://www.livescience.com/47624-man...-on-plane.html

I'm still not clear why Goomber injected the adrenaline over Monks. Goomber may have worked in an ICU but I'm not sure given similar injections is part of his job in an ICU. It wouldn't be Monks' direct expertise either given his injections usually go elsewhere, but wouldn't Monks be more experienced in performing injections?

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 4, 2014 at 9:24 pm
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:33 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
I would say ICU experience trumps general GP experience in this situation...
Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by TRVLUPGD
One has to wonder why CX promised and under delivered ? They had a golden opportunity to reward two exemplary pax who averted a tragedy.

They could have rewarded them as promised and put them in the in house magazine.

a question occurs to me, what did the doctor do during the two hours.
If some Cantopop star had a mishap onboard, eg fell and injured himself, CX would be kowtowing till kingdom come. Goes to show their priorities.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by ermen
I would say ICU experience trumps general GP experience in this situation...
ICU isn't ER either...?
Old Sep 5, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by percysmith
Monks attended to the heart attack passnger before the two Canucks, started with the CPR until Li took over so he can monitor the pax's airway, and then wrote it up for the British Medical Journal http://www.livescience.com/47624-man...-on-plane.html

I'm still not clear why Goomber injected the adrenaline over Monks. Goomber may have worked in an ICU but I'm not sure given similar injections is part of his job in an ICU. It wouldn't be Monks' direct expertise either given his injections usually go elsewhere, but wouldn't Monks be more experienced in performing injections?
We don't know the mechanism of administration. I expect that it was likely an epinephrine autoinjector, which is a pretty foolproof means of administering epinephrine subcutaneously. No training required. If we were dealing with a cardiac needle, then we would be in a very different world, but frankly even an ER nurse or physician might have difficulty with a cardiac needle in that environment. I wouldn't see value in packing that in an inflight emergency kit.

If the phsyician has qualified assistance, then tasks can be readily delegated. Given the low level of technical expertise required to handle an autoinjector, I would certainly prefer to have a competent helper administer under my direction, while I attend to the more complex tasks where my training brings more value added.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by AC*SE
Whenever I have responded to the, "Is there a doctor on board?" announcement, I have done so with absolutely no expectation of reward, recognition or compensation.

Certainly some airlines have been forthcoming with appreciation, and I have made use of those gifts on occasion.

But most often a hearty and heartfelt, "thank you," from patient, from crew and from captain is all that I expect or want. The tone of the last paragraph from the Star strikes me as churlish.
+1.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 8:17 pm
Suspended

https://www.facebook.com/cathaypacif...52717174899297

We would like to express our sincere gratitude to the passengers who rendered assistance to a fellow passenger in need. We have already offered upgrade vouchers that are valid for a year to the two passengers and their travel companions in addition to other reimbursements soon after the event as a token of our gratitude. We are very sorry to have learned about their flight experience on their way home to Toronto. We welcome the passengers to travel with Cathay Pacific again.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Taiwan is a country.
Cathay Pilots now taking over and paying for two heroes to fly AC

http://www.pprune.org/fragrant-harbo...ine-again.html

Its seems even the CX staff are outraged and astounded at the uselessness of the Cathay management team.

PR Disaster.. and deservedly so.

I hope they reach their goal to fly the two guys on AC instead.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:22 pm

To the people who stated that as doctors they would've done the same and without compensation:
is it fair that people who do work shouldn't get paid? Because that is what airlines seem to ask doctors to do. Do airlines feel bad for people who cannot get from point A to B and let them ride free, because they need to go to a funeral, or whatever?
The main difference is doctors are thought of as humans. Whereas airlines are big corporations. And big corporations don't have a heart, and don't need to-cause they're not alive. And the people who work there say they have no control over what happens.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:51 pm

S0ssos: not because corporations cannot have a heart (the other implication is corporations cannot perform charity).

But rather we lay people expect doctors (at least in HK, AU and CA) to have sworn the Hippocrates oath, though I read that recent medical grads don't actually do that anymore.

Furthermore Goomber and Li aren't doctors - I don't think first aiders swear the oath.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by s0ssos
is it fair that people who do work shouldn't get paid? Because that is what airlines seem to ask doctors to do.
No it's not. The airlines are asking people to spend a brief amount of time helping other people who need it. It's voluntary. It's not their work. Work might be, for example, going into the hospital and making rounds, or seeing someone in the office. Here the airline is asking for volunteers to help someone who may have passed out on a public conveyance. Very different from work.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
No it's not. The airlines are asking people to spend a brief amount of time helping other people who need it. It's voluntary. It's not their work. Work might be, for example, going into the hospital and making rounds, or seeing someone in the office. Here the airline is asking for volunteers to help someone who may have passed out on a public conveyance. Very different from work.
+1
It is not as if they have an option to got to an ER in mid air. They are asking for doctor oboard ? Because that is the only avenue available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.