Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Lounge access and comp on equipment swap

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:38 am
Original Poster

I was scheduled to fly F on TPE-HKG via 773 but I see I've been downgraded to J since they swapped it for a 343. Is it possible to get F lounge access bc that's what I originally booked?

Moreover is it possible to get a refund based on class difference? (Although booked with US miles)

Last edited by drzoidberg; Aug 14, 2014 at 8:49 am
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:13 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
I was scheduled to fly F on TPE-HKG via 773 but I see I've been downgraded to J since they swapped it for a 343. Is it possible to get F lounge access bc that's what I originally booked?

Moreover is it possible to get a refund based on class difference? (Although booked with US miles)
how far out is your flight?

if it is same day, i think you might get a little cash component. I've seen #s around $100 USD or something. Japan flights would be considerably more but they're genuine F that CX protects. Not TPE. The difference will definitely not be the full cash F/J fare difference. Then I presume US Airways or whoever should refund you the difference in miles.

however, if you've been notified in advance, i think realistically you can expect $0 (except your refunded miles, of course) if you were notified a few days or more in advance. if you were MPC maybe you could get some Asia Miles out of it but sounds like you're not. The truth is, HKG-TPE is not a protected F sector for CX and it is a merry go round of planes.

there was a fellow on here, also US Air miles, wondering whether he should be entitled to the cash F to J component of his LHR-HKG "downgrade"......6 months out. That would be thousands of USD. That's not even a downgrade so much as it is CX just changed their schedules, which is reasonable to assume with that kind of runway. From a few interactions on here it sounds like Cathay operates totally different than the US airlines. Put bluntly: there is 0% chance he's getting anything. Six months in advance! I mean, that would be some racket. Maybe the US airlines are dumb enough to pay people for something or folks have been trained to get compensation. These swaps don't seem to affect CX because the partner award bookings keep on coming - no doubt because most folks value the long-haul sector anyway. The 1.5 hours to TPE in "F" is not quite the same.

CX's protected F destinations are fairly straight-forward: Long-haul and Japan. SIN, BKK, TPE, etc. all sometimes have it bookable (it's heavily concentrated towards partner awards, I've heard, most connecting via HKG), but unfortunately CX has the habit of swapping the planes and if they give you notice, you're probably not entitled to much. Even when they do, I've heard they're not overly generous. They have very little cash demand ex-HKG for these tickets, which is why they feel so inclined to constantly swap. They're basically faking out the partner awards. Which is certainly lame, but folks live with it because the long-haul sector is why they booked it anyway.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

Going slight OT as this is about refunds rather than lounge access... but here's my experience on downgrades on short sectors (KA or CX) booked via AA miles...

- if the downgrade has been in advance and the sector is part of a longer journey where the rest of the travel is still in F - no refund from AA as they base the award on the highest class of travel anyway
- if the downgrade occurs on the day of travel (once in airport control) KA or CX will offer a cash compensation once you get to the airport. Note the difference between F and J on those short sectors is not that great - China - Hong Kong for example is about $100 or so (based on full fares)

(if this is your only flight on the ticket and you are downgraded you could expect USDM to refund the difference between F and J)

Lounge: if in advance, and the ticket has now been changed to J class... I would not expect F lounge access. If it is on the day of departure, worth asking for F lounge (the check-in staff will be able to see it's a downgrade)
Old Aug 15, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: CX DM, A3*G, Accor Adv. Plus Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hlton Diamond
My case is happened in April 2014, PEK-HKG-BKK on paid J on CX and I used Asia miles to upgrade to F in both sectors..... When boarding at PEK, the flight has already delay 3 hours due to weather is very poor in HKG. So I must miss the connection to BKK in F, but there will be none of F flight on CX until tomorrow afternoon.

When I arrived HKG, the ground staff has already waiting me with my name. I was given 2 choices: Downgrade to next flight in J on CX with HK$1500 cash; or, Transfer to TG in F but need to wait more than 4 hours for the connection. I took the first option as I need to arrive BKK ASAP as I am very tired. Then, the ground staff hand-in the new boarding pass with First class lounge invitation, and HK$1500.

I was still CXGO at that time, so I was only entitle to visit J lounge, if I fly in J. But actually I did not visit the F lounge as I need to rush to the next flight to BKK (From gate 48-->16)!
Old Aug 15, 2014, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! I just noticed that my question has been moved to the main forum.

So the flight is 4 months out. My US Airways itinerary still shows that I'm booked in "Z". No one notified me; I happened to login to check my flight details (as I do periodically) and noticed the equipment swap, seat change, and downgrade.

I figure I can always ask the day of for F lounge access and/or compensation. The worst they'll say is "no".
Old Aug 15, 2014, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Thanks for the replies! I just noticed that my question has been moved to the main forum.

So the flight is 4 months out. My US Airways itinerary still shows that I'm booked in "Z". No one notified me; I happened to login to check my flight details (as I do periodically) and noticed the equipment swap, seat change, and downgrade.

I figure I can always ask the day of for F lounge access and/or compensation. The worst they'll say is "no".
If your ticket stays as 'Z' class and CX is getting paid for 'Z' they should rightfully give you compensation if they can't offer you that.

However, I suspect at some stage USDM will pick up on the change and the ticket will be changed to reflect that. When you turn up you will then be a biz class passenger, having paid a biz class class fare.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:56 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I haven't been departing TPE for a while. If the lounge is same as before, the F lounge is just a small room at the end of the lounge. There is nothing special except there are usually fewer people. You would miss much even if you cannot access the F lounge.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:53 pm

this is true
Old Aug 16, 2014, 1:27 am

Programs: QF WP/LTG
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I haven't been departing TPE for a while. If the lounge is same as before, the F lounge is just a small room at the end of the lounge. There is nothing special except there are usually fewer people. You would miss much even if you cannot access the F lounge.
I can confirm that - it is just a small room. While there is some food in there, it is limited and you still have to come outside to the J section eg if you want to order from the noodle bar.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:18 am
Original Poster

I was reading in the lounge thread that traveling in F on an arriving CX segment may get you F access in The Wing and other lounges, even though the departing segment from HKG might be in J.

Therefore, any chance of being allowed F access to The Wing on a downgraded ticket, if my departing segment from HKG is in J, or are my chances slim to none?

Last edited by drzoidberg; Aug 16, 2014 at 11:10 am
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
In four months, your flight could change back to a plane with F, just saying.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alphaod
In four months, your flight could change back to a plane with F, just saying.
I certainly hope so!
Old Aug 16, 2014, 11:21 am

I was reading in the lounge thread that traveling in F on an arriving CX segment may get you F access in The Wing and other lounges, even though the departing segment from HKG might be in J.

Therefore, any chance of being allowed F access to The Wing on a downgraded ticket, if my departing segment from HKG is in J, or are my chances slim to none?
not sure I understand your question. In your original post, you say you have partner award ticket booked on CX TPE-HKG in F class.

Are you saying that you have an ongoing sector after TPE-HKG that is not in F class?

Regardless, all the advice given up to this point stands. If you are informed in advance that there is a downgrade, you are probably not getting access to the TPE or HKG F lounge (although, as stated in earlier advice, the TPE "F" lounge isn't really anything special anyways, it's a room at the back of the lounge. IF you want the noodles - main attraction - you have to exit the F room and place your order. It is really nothing special at all except perhaps a bit quieter. I'm a CX DM, aka have F lounge access for 5+ years. I'd say 2/3 times I sit in the very front section of the J part of the TPE lounge right when you walk in...nobody is ever there. Even less busy than the so-called "F" section).

If your strategy discussed above plays out (just show up at the airport, hope they don't inform you and advance, and ask for some compensation), then I'd say you have a high likelihood of scoring access to the TPE "F" room. However, I'd still say you're tenuous at HKIA just due to the difficulty of them setting that up for you. You'd really need an agent to go above and beyond. Possible, but definitely not guaranteed. Is this your question? You have a connecting segment?

If you don't have a connecting segment, not sure the relevance....
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QRC3288
not sure I understand your question. In your original post, you say you have partner award ticket booked on CX TPE-HKG in F class.

Are you saying that you have an ongoing sector after TPE-HKG that is not in F class?

Regardless, all the advice given up to this point stands. If you are informed in advance that there is a downgrade, you are probably not getting access to the TPE or HKG F lounge (although, as stated in earlier advice, the TPE "F" lounge isn't really anything special anyways, it's a room at the back of the lounge. IF you want the noodles - main attraction - you have to exit the F room and place your order. It is really nothing special at all except perhaps a bit quieter. I'm a CX DM, aka have F lounge access for 5+ years. I'd say 2/3 times I sit in the very front section of the J part of the TPE lounge right when you walk in...nobody is ever there. Even less busy than the so-called "F" section).

If your strategy discussed above plays out (just show up at the airport, hope they don't inform you and advance, and ask for some compensation), then I'd say you have a high likelihood of scoring access to the TPE "F" room. However, I'd still say you're tenuous at HKIA just due to the difficulty of them setting that up for you. You'd really need an agent to go above and beyond. Possible, but definitely not guaranteed. Is this your question? You have a connecting segment?

If you don't have a connecting segment, not sure the relevance....
Thanks QRC3288, sorry if my question wasn't clear.

I'm flying TPE-HKG-DOH. My TPE-HKG segment is as you guys know, in F, but my HKG-DOH segment is in J. According to the Lounge Access FAQ Wiki, passengers who fall into the category of "I am arriving off CX First Class and connecting to a CX or KA flight in Business Class. Can I access the First Class lounge during my transit?" will receive 2 lounge invitations, one for the outport and one for use at HKIA.

I'm more interested in having access to the F lounges at HKIA than at TPE. Therefore in light of a potential downgrade, would it be possible to still get an F lounge invitation for use at HKIA? Based on responses so far, it seems tenuous and/or unlikely.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 9:12 pm

I'm more interested in having access to the F lounges at HKIA than at TPE. Therefore in light of a potential downgrade, would it be possible to still get an F lounge invitation for use at HKIA? Based on responses so far, it seems tenuous and/or unlikely.
1.) I still think it's possible, especially if you show up "surprised" at the airport your ticket was downgraded to J. It will just take a little more effort from the TPE ground staff but presuming they can print you out that lounge invitation card you'd be good. Just make sure you get the invitation card because if they say something to the extent of "trust us we'll notify HK" your odds are decreased. In general the ground staff at TPE are excellent.

If they notify you earlier of your downgrade to J, there is virtually no chance I'm afraid.

2.) We've got a bunch of other threads running (constantly) about the lounges, but to be honest CX's sole F lounge at the moment - the F side of the Wing - is nothing to write home about compared to other great airlines' F lounges, IMO. CX's other F lounge (F side of The Pier) is under renovation. All other lounges are accessible to J pax and frankly they are "super J" lounges. I spend >50% of my time (maybe >75%?), even as a DM, in the various J lounges not F. I really enjoy them...paninis in The Cabin, the QF J lounge, The Bridge, and the Pier J is great now because nobody is over there, although offerings aren't as extensive as The Cabin, Bridge or QF J. And Wing J is huge and also has numerous different offerings. Perhaps you can hedge your emotional bets in the event you don't get access. Here are two ongoing now that touch on Wing F and specifically have some critical comments in there from me and others, I'm sure you can find a ton others.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...-reopened.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...yover-hkg.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.