CMB-SIN no more?

Old Aug 8, 14, 2:38 am
  #1  
Suspended
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Here
Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Posts: 1,496
CMB-SIN no more?

Can see that CX610 flies directly between CMB-HKG, and that the CX2710 seems to have been discontinued..
ashkale is offline  
Old Aug 8, 14, 3:17 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: New York
Posts: 6,683
Here is the link to the press release:
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_L...o-Colombo.html

I am happy that Colombo will finally get a nonstop service, and even the flight via Bangkok will get an aircraft upgrade - Airbus A340-300s. It makes sense from a CX perspective, as the crews are cross-trained on both planes. Premium Economy will be introduced on CMB market and I wonder how that will affect the J prices.

I guess it is an "upgrade" - not as a surprise especially UL has joined OneWorld. I wonder if UL will introduce nonstop CMB to HKG soon too.

Carfield
Carfield is offline  
Old Aug 8, 14, 2:16 pm
  #3  
formerly gemini573
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: LAX, HKG, and BKK
Programs: CX DM (Emerald), former Hyatt DM, and current Marriott Gold.
Posts: 2,216
I am pleasantly surprised at HKG CMB going 4 x weekly nonstop with the smaller equipment. This flight is normally with a 773, which has lots of room for cargo. Perhaps cargo demand has softened. The times I've seen them loading the 773 at CMB, it's loaded with palettes of cargo.

I've heard a while back UL also considering going nonstop to HKG and adding an ICN flight from HKG. Let's see...
77W_12A is offline  
Old Aug 8, 14, 7:02 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Singapore
Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Posts: 749
Originally Posted by ashkale View Post
Can see that CX610 flies directly between CMB-HKG, and that the CX2710 seems to have been discontinued..
So that leaves 2 frames languishing overnight in Singapore then.

Previously the CMB leg could see the plane used for 711 HKGSIN fully utilized to come back for the 710 SINHKG run the next day. The other overnight pair is 735/736 pair that leave the frame on ground in SIN some 15+ hours
CXFlyerBoy is offline  
Old Aug 8, 14, 7:50 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: country Western Australia
Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM) - CX Grn
Posts: 2,674
Oh well the extra miles resulting from a stopover in SIN seems to be disappearing... And CX fares SIN-HKG have never been "bargains"


Happy wandering

Fred
wandering_fred is offline  
Old Aug 8, 14, 8:56 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Singapore
Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Posts: 749
Originally Posted by wandering_fred View Post
Oh well the extra miles resulting from a stopover in SIN seems to be disappearing... And CX fares SIN-HKG have never been "bargains"


Happy wandering

Fred
The price ex-sin is reasonable in a sense. See what the local airline is charging.
CXFlyerBoy is offline  
Old Aug 8, 14, 10:49 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,586
Hmmm. One Less 5th freedom flight from OW out of Singapore. QR remove the flight to Bali and now CX to CMB. :-(
tboons is offline  
Old Aug 8, 14, 11:18 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,752
What will CX do for those of us who are ticketed on this flight? I can see my Nov flight is cancelled but havent yet gotten any communication from them. Will they move us to an SQ or UL flight or are they going to just refund and leave us to have to buy (now much more expensive) tickets on one of those carriers?
stephem is offline  
Old Aug 9, 14, 5:41 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SIN
Programs: *G, OW Emerald, Bonvoy Amb Elite, HH Gold
Posts: 72
Originally Posted by stephem View Post
What will CX do for those of us who are ticketed on this flight? I can see my Nov flight is cancelled but havent yet gotten any communication from them. Will they move us to an SQ or UL flight or are they going to just refund and leave us to have to buy (now much more expensive) tickets on one of those carriers?
I telephoned the MPC tonight after noticing that my December SIN-CMB redemption booking in J had disappeared. The answer from the call centre was I could cancel and refund without penalty or pay 15000 more Asia Miles to fly via HKG.

I'm happy to route via HKG but I told them I don't find it acceptable that I need to spend additional miles to do so. This is the second time this sort of cancellation and refusal to honour the original mileage spend has happened to me on a redemption booking this year so I'm not hopeful for a positive resolution - although the other episode was on a QF flight so I did hope this being on CX metal might have meant a straightforward rebooking

The call taker was actually as helpful as he could be and is trying another avenue to see what can be done. I did (tongue in cheek) point out that if I cancelled or amended the reservation it would cost 12000 Asia Miles so why couldn't they take the 12000 miles they now "owe" me and then we'll only be arguing over 3000 miles.

There was no offer to move me to a UL flight.
NZZO is offline  
Old Aug 9, 14, 9:05 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SIN
Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Posts: 2,043
SIN-CMB leg of a long haul exCMB fare (with only the last segment untravelled) gone missing from MMB without any contact from CX so far. Checkmytrip shows:
The following warning(s) occured
Please note that the Airline has cancelled one or more of your selected flights. Please modify your reservation, or contact your travel agent for further information. (9115)

Dont plan to contact them right away - was a way into the future date, to be changed and used when my next exCMB travel would start - which is the much bigger of my worries.

I'm sure I'm not alone in going into a depression at the exCMB I class fares going away for us SIN based fliers.
jagmeets is offline  
Old Aug 9, 14, 12:38 pm
  #11  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,477
Originally Posted by NZZO View Post
I telephoned the MPC tonight after noticing that my December SIN-CMB redemption booking in J had disappeared. The answer from the call centre was I could cancel and refund without penalty or pay 15000 more Asia Miles to fly via HKG.

I'm happy to route via HKG but I told them I don't find it acceptable that I need to spend additional miles to do so. This is the second time this sort of cancellation and refusal to honour the original mileage spend has happened to me on a redemption booking this year so I'm not hopeful for a positive resolution - although the other episode was on a QF flight so I did hope this being on CX metal might have meant a straightforward rebooking

The call taker was actually as helpful as he could be and is trying another avenue to see what can be done. I did (tongue in cheek) point out that if I cancelled or amended the reservation it would cost 12000 Asia Miles so why couldn't they take the 12000 miles they now "owe" me and then we'll only be arguing over 3000 miles.

There was no offer to move me to a UL flight.
Any possibility of flying SIN-BKK (long layover) -CMB?
FlyerTalker688786 is offline  
Old Aug 9, 14, 6:22 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: SIN
Programs: *G, OW Emerald, Bonvoy Amb Elite, HH Gold
Posts: 72
Originally Posted by chongcao View Post
Any possibility of flying SIN-BKK (long layover) -CMB?
Thanks for the suggestion - I'll keep it in my back pocket for now. The agent I'm dealing with has booked us on the best SIN-HKG-CMB connection available on the same day of travel and sent it off to ticketing with a request they honor the origin mileage 'cost' - 30000 AMs each. I'll wait and see what happens next week.

Aside from this suggestion, if they play hardball I may just see if we can go PEY as they are both day time/evening flights. UL on the day is SGD260 p/p at the moment in economy for their direct A320 flight although I'd rather be using up some miles.
NZZO is offline  
Old Aug 9, 14, 11:55 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: country Western Australia
Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM) - CX Grn
Posts: 2,674
Originally Posted by CXFlyerBoy View Post
The price ex-sin is reasonable in a sense. See what the local airline is charging.
exSIN is not reasonable on long haul to the USA...
But if QF does not re-start the SIN-PER flights I suppose it doesn't make a whole lot of difference in my case.

Happy wandering

Fred
wandering_fred is offline  
Old Aug 10, 14, 12:57 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Singapore
Programs: MPC, KF, Accor, SPG, HH
Posts: 749
Originally Posted by wandering_fred View Post
exSIN is not reasonable on long haul to the USA...
But if QF does not re-start the SIN-PER flights I suppose it doesn't make a whole lot of difference in my case.

Happy wandering

Fred
I beg to differ.

There is a 8 to 10 percent savings even for the most restricted economy flexi fare (CX V class vis-a-vis SQ Flexi Saver)

CX has 2 flights into SFO, 4 into LAX, 4 into JFK, compared to 1 a piece on SQ. On top of that, you are given a choice of flights exSIN to connect to them in HKG on CX. And I am not factoring Canada which SQ does not even have a presence.

So I am not sure what point you are trying to make , but then again, YMMV.

Last edited by CXFlyerBoy; Aug 10, 14 at 1:14 am
CXFlyerBoy is offline  
Old Aug 10, 14, 3:17 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 1,765
When I first read the title I thought CX was going to cancel CMB like what they did to KHI shortly after I flew that route. Ironically I just flew HKG-SIN-CMB on Friday. Both flights were 100% full although we were able to get two standby seats in Y. I was traveling with a GO and I'm OWE, we were oped-up to J on both sectors although we had to later change the HKG-SIN flight.
jona970318 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: