Search

First time flying First

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, TK Elite, Hyatt Platinum
First time flying First

Hello

My Fiance and I are getting married in Hong Kong in September, and as a little treat we are flying First Class back to Taipei with Cathay

The will be the first time either of us have flown in First on any airline, and I know its only a short flight, but does anyone have recommendations on how to make the most of it?

We will use the In-Town check-in, and then make our way to the airport later in the day. I've used The Wing before but it was only for a quick 30 minutes to have a shower, would you recommend arriving early to make use of other facilities? What is the best seat on the plane to choose?

It's a Friday afternoon/evening flight on a 747 I believe.

Any advice would be gratefully received

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:17 am

Wirelessly posted (Ipod: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 6_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10A403 Safari/8536.25)

One thing to watch out for is equipment change eliminating the first class
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:39 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stickyfingers85
Hello

My Fiance and I are getting married in Hong Kong in September, and as a little treat we are flying First Class back to Taipei with Cathay

The will be the first time either of us have flown in First on any airline, and I know its only a short flight, but does anyone have recommendations on how to make the most of it?

We will use the In-Town check-in, and then make our way to the airport later in the day. I've used The Wing before but it was only for a quick 30 minutes to have a shower, would you recommend arriving early to make use of other facilities? What is the best seat on the plane to choose?

It's a Friday afternoon/evening flight on a 747 I believe.

Any advice would be gratefully received

Thanks in advance
OLCI as early as possible and print boarding pass. so in any case of any equipment swap, you can use the BP to use the F lounges.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CX GO, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Hello,

I have done this a couple of times - op-up from J. As other mentioned - be wary of equipment changes. If I were you - have a look at the schedule for that Friday evening, and see if there are another flights operating F. Should there be an equipment swap and they call you - you can say I'd like to switch to XYZ flight (assuming that plane hasn't been switched as well).

As there are two of you - you can dine together - so tell the flight attendant that when he/she takes your order. Try to snag a window seat as it's awesome to have three windows! You get a starter, main course and desert plus coffee if there is time. Even though it is a short flight - there is time to enjoy so don't rush your food down and the FA's are aware of the timing so they serve quickly.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Many thanks for the help

I will make a note of which other flights are operating F, just in case
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:09 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Many thanks for the help

I will make a note of which other flights are operating F, just in case
mate, don't want to throw cold shower on this, but TPE is perhaps the most-frequently swapped route. I have never flown in proper F class to/from TPE, despite having "booked" it half a dozen times in the last few years (as part of TPE-North America trips). Obviously in my situation, I don't care much about the 90 minute segment - I'm buying F for the long-haul segments. In your case, obviously you're banking on F for that short segment.

I have sat in the F section plenty to/from TPE, but always due to the F section opening up on 77W or 74K while served as J. It is usually quite private and CX seems to often - but not always - only permit DMs traveling in J class up there as a benefit. So the cabin is usually not full and it is sealed off from J, but it isn't the full F service. Here's a situation that has played out for me: 74K was swapped away a few weeks before departure. I was downgraded to J online, I saw the new seat map. I got a refund for that F sector. THEN, 77W was swapped into the route at the last minute but it was served as J. I was put into "F" served as J. I am not sure if it's because I had an original F segment, or because I was DM and flying in J. Either way, maybe you could do something to make sure you get the F section in this situation.

Anyway, I just wanted to be up front because there is quite a decent chance the equipment will be swapped and you just can't predict it. It can literally be like roulette especially since the 74Ks seem to go tech every other day and summer weather.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks again, I know there is a chance of being downgraded but I'm going to go for it anyway.

For the seats, it will let me select 1A or 1K for myself, but when i select my finance it blocks them out. This means that we both can't sit in 1A/K

I called the UK sales line and they tried to do it but gave up stating the system just wouldn't let it

Any ideas?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:18 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Thanks again, I know there is a chance of being downgraded but I'm going to go for it anyway.

For the seats, it will let me select 1A or 1K for myself, but when i select my finance it blocks them out. This means that we both can't sit in 1A/K

I called the UK sales line and they tried to do it but gave up stating the system just wouldn't let it

Any ideas?
I would guess the other passengers status does not allow selection of 1A/K.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
I would guess the other passengers status does not allow selection of 1A/K.
Thanks, she doesn't have any status. I assumed that as I made the booking she would be able to select the same seats as me, but perhaps not.

I'll keep the 2A/K seats and can change at check-in if they are still available
Old Aug 1, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marco Polo Silver
I was able to book 1k through Qatar's site today. Just hit manage booking and enter your CX confirmation number.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:28 pm

This means that we both can't sit in 1A/K

Any ideas?
Are you MPC? If so, call them. They can change others' seat assignments. I'm not sure of your status, but even if technically they're not supposed to help just be nice and explain the wedding situation with your fiance etc and I think you will have success. They can assign it for you.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by QRC3288
mate, don't want to throw cold shower on this, but TPE is perhaps the most-frequently swapped route. I have never flown in proper F class to/from TPE, despite having "booked" it half a dozen times in the last few years (as part of TPE-North America trips). Obviously in my situation, I don't care much about the 90 minute segment - I'm buying F for the long-haul segments. In your case, obviously you're banking on F for that short segment.

I have sat in the F section plenty to/from TPE, but always due to the F section opening up on 77W or 74K while served as J. It is usually quite private and CX seems to often - but not always - only permit DMs traveling in J class up there as a benefit. So the cabin is usually not full and it is sealed off from J, but it isn't the full F service. Here's a situation that has played out for me: 74K was swapped away a few weeks before departure. I was downgraded to J online, I saw the new seat map. I got a refund for that F sector. THEN, 77W was swapped into the route at the last minute but it was served as J. I was put into "F" served as J. I am not sure if it's because I had an original F segment, or because I was DM and flying in J. Either way, maybe you could do something to make sure you get the F section in this situation.

Anyway, I just wanted to be up front because there is quite a decent chance the equipment will be swapped and you just can't predict it. It can literally be like roulette especially since the 74Ks seem to go tech every other day and summer weather.
Pax ticketed in F will not be downgraded if the equiement has F. I have seen plently of times on HKG-TPE v.v. only 1 pax seated in F.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by zqsn5678
Pax ticketed in F will not be downgraded if the equiement has F. I have seen plently of times on HKG-TPE v.v. only 1 pax seated in F.
mate, not sure what you're goin for there, but that's not really what i was talking about. perhaps it was unclear. Obviously if 74K or 77H stays on the route from start to finish and you're in paid F, you're getting it. At least, I've never experienced otherwise.

What I'm talking about is having been on that route before where the equipment is swapped weeks in advance. And yes, you are downgraded to J. And then, lo and behold, a last-minute swap puts 74K or 77H back on the route again but in a 2 class service. You are not re-ticketed in F in this situation. And I'm not sure in the OPs case whether or not he'll even be seated in the F section. I was sayin I've been put in the F section, but I'm not sure if that's because my original ticket was F or because I'm DM.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by joelpat
I was able to book 1k through Qatar's site today. Just hit manage booking and enter your CX confirmation number.
^
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:18 pm

Slightly OT, but a US Airways booking on Cathay First automatically assigned me to 1A on a 77W- which I understand is a premium seat shouldn't normally happen. I have no oneworld status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.