CX 77W to Australia (confirmed)

Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by bart simpson
Is the yield that bad? I'm surprised CX still 'upgrades' a couple of flights from 333 to 77W to Australia then.
Yea, and they're also upgrading A333s to 35Gs too, don't forget. I just think CX is drawing its line in the sand at Australia. They're defending the market even if it means a price war. As folks have alluded to above though, it is a brutal fight given mainland China's open skies agreement with Australia...and Hong Kong's lack of one.

Not to mention, the utterly horrendous delays at mainland Chinese airports mean travelers can't look forward to connecting...given the odds of making your connection are crap when you fly out from a mainland airport. If I were living in mainland China, I'd definitely choose to fly direct because at least if my flight is delayed, it's my ONLY flight. If my PVG-HKG sector is delayed prior to my HKG-MEL sector, missing the second sector makes my trip a lot more complicated.

I'm pretty sure CX fought tooth and nail to avoid having open skies between HK and Australia, so I find it both ironic and sweet justice that CX is getting its yields destroyed by the neighbors up north who seem to be flying to Oz from every Chinese city these days. HK travelers to Oz have suffered for way too long with absurd prices and CX/Swire is largely to blame.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 5:59 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I'm not sure who CX is fighting against if you're looking at O/D traffic (which seems to be the case since ex-HK fares have dropped). QF capacity is low and can't get much lower. VA only flies from one port so CX can selectively drop prices against MEL (they haven't). So they're really fighting against their own over capacity.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club, KF
[QUOTE i dont even dare guess how much op ups take places from ultra cheepo Y.fare... so its not sustainable.[/QUOTE]

Actually my recent experience on MEL when in Y has been the opposite. Overcapacity = empty seats = no op up.

Separately, folks should bear in mind that the 77Ws can uplift significant freight out of Aus and that will have an impact on economics + comparative advantage over competitors.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Yea, and they're also upgrading A333s to 35Gs too, don't forget. I just think CX is drawing its line in the sand at Australia. They're defending the market even if it means a price war. As folks have alluded to above though, it is a brutal fight given mainland China's open skies agreement with Australia...and Hong Kong's lack of one.

Not to mention, the utterly horrendous delays at mainland Chinese airports mean travelers can't look forward to connecting...given the odds of making your connection are crap when you fly out from a mainland airport. If I were living in mainland China, I'd definitely choose to fly direct because at least if my flight is delayed, it's my ONLY flight. If my PVG-HKG sector is delayed prior to my HKG-MEL sector, missing the second sector makes my trip a lot more complicated.

I'm pretty sure CX fought tooth and nail to avoid having open skies between HK and Australia, so I find it both ironic and sweet justice that CX is getting its yields destroyed by the neighbors up north who seem to be flying to Oz from every Chinese city these days. HK travelers to Oz have suffered for way too long with absurd prices and CX/Swire is largely to blame.
CX asked to increase the bilateral to 110
QF opposed it
QF is opposed to any new rights for CX

QF plays 2 games, one in the media and one behind the scenes

now that HX is in the game, CX can't be bothered negotiating for more- there is no gain for them
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:22 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

bingo. this is definitely the time to be a J-class ticket buyer to Australia. Oz fliers ex-HKG haven't had it this good in J class pricing as long as I can remember.
Interestingly, as we talk about the cheap J fares to Australia, it seems like CX has raised their bottom line to $32k now. The $23k fares seem to be gone.

QF still has fares at $20k.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by sxc
Interestingly, as we talk about the cheap J fares to Australia, it seems like CX has raised their bottom line to $32k now. The $23k fares seem to be gone.

QF still has fares at $20k.
ex tpe was 16k last i.checked still.

besides i have no reason to fly cx if price aint right
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:16 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by fakecd
ex tpe was 16k last i.checked still.

besides i have no reason to fly cx if price aint right
At $23k, a lot of the ex-asia fares to Australia were rendered useless/not worthwhile. Although $16k vs $23k is still good.

$16k vs $20k for QF makes ex-TPE a lot more marginal.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:19 am

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by sxc
At $23k, a lot of the ex-asia fares to Australia were rendered useless/not worthwhile. Although $16k vs $23k is still good.

$16k vs $20k for QF makes ex-TPE a lot more marginal.
i still paid 23k on qf.recently. reason is they had double status promotion and i structured hkg-bne-syd-wlg-akl-syd-bne-hkg and attained 970 status.credit just shy of 1200 status.credits needed for platinum (OW emerald) renewal

cx probably gives just about 120 sc....
Old Aug 11, 2017, 4:56 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by fakecd
i still paid 23k on qf.recently. reason is they had double status promotion and i structured hkg-bne-syd-wlg-akl-syd-bne-hkg and attained 970 status.credit just shy of 1200 status.credits needed for platinum (OW emerald) renewal

cx probably gives just about 120 sc....
If you flew J with QF, that would be around 215 cp..... no where near 970. Been with MPC for ten years and reside in Australia, I always wondered why QF is so much easier to get some status. A long haul J trip will almost get you GO status if you planed right.

I wonder if CX would also run some double status promotion to make us book more than CX.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:15 am

Programs: TK*G

Also that long haul routes have higher priority to depart when delays occur.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.