Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX 77W to Australia (confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:35 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Not surprising, CX162 in particular, anecdotally, is primarily an O&D flight as it's too early for connections to Europe (unless you want 6 hours in HK - which I've done) and a bit late for many Asian connections (though still many to choose from) as you will arrive at the ultimate destination quite late.

It's ideal for arriving in HK for an 8pm ish dinner without leaving SYD at too silly a time. If I'm flying SYD-HKG as O&D then that's my first choice.

Having said that I've booked CX110 in a few months time as partly it's emptier in the Y cabin due to the rather ungodly 7:30am SYD departure.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:49 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
Not surprising, CX162 in particular, anecdotally, is primarily an O&D flight as it's too early for connections to Europe (unless you want 6 hours in HK - which I've done) and a bit late for many Asian connections (though still many to choose from) as you will arrive at the ultimate destination quite late.

It's ideal for arriving in HK for an 8pm ish dinner without leaving SYD at too silly a time.
Yes it's my mother and SIL's favourite.

Having said that I've booked CX110 in a few months time as partly it's emptier in the Y cabin due to the rather ungodly 7:30am SYD departure.
Unfortunately I had to put my mother on that for 1/1 and waitlist all the way to departure time for later flight.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 3:00 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
AUSBT version:
https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-paci...the-boeing-777

Most CX flights to AUS will be on A350 by 2019:
https://www.ausbt.com.au/cathay-paci...-a350s-by-2019

Surely with all the demand CX should buy a A380 or 2 with F ......
Old Feb 15, 2017, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by kamchatsky
Redemption demand....?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
I think SYD will be 4x777's unless CX can't spare 777s. It'd be nice to see an A350 in SYD but I can't see it happening given capacity.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Haha, no. A new subfleet just so people can redeem miles for CX F? Of a plane that really nobody likes very much except EK?
Old Feb 15, 2017, 4:43 pm

I think SYD will be 4x777's unless CX can't spare 777s. It'd be nice to see an A350 in SYD but I can't see it happening given capacity.
Agreed, methinks it'll end up being 4 x 777x or 3 x 777s with an A350 on the flight with lowest load (which judging by current A330-only status would be CX110/111).
Old Feb 16, 2017, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Haha, no. A new subfleet just so people can redeem miles for CX F? Of a plane that really nobody likes very much except EK?
Oh come on ..... Can't we just have a little fun here?!

After all CX are restricted by the number of flights coming to SYD/MEL/BNE/PER. QF will very strongly oppose CX getting more flights considering what CX did to QF when they try to start Jetstar HK a while back.

So sooner or later they will have 4 * 77Gs to SYD (even though I would prefer for them to have at least 1 * 77H), and the demand for more seats will still be there. Lots of Chinese living in Sydney now. Just look at all those brand new apartments that are mostly bought by the Chinese in the last few years.

They may throw in A330/A350 to say CBR to serve the southern NSW, but it won't solve the demand permanently.

That's why I suggest A380s only because of the flight restrictions that CX cannot break free of. Admittedly it may not be most economical plane for CX, but I love the A380s.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by djsflynn
Agreed, methinks it'll end up being 4 x 777x or 3 x 777s with an A350 on the flight with lowest load (which judging by current A330-only status would be CX110/111).
I actually thought CX111 would be pretty popular because it lands in SYD early morning, and passengers can "go straight to work".

Yes CX110 can be tough especially on winter times as pax needs to wake up early, but it is my favourite flight to HKG because it lands at HKG at 3pm, and I can check in to hotel at 4pm, and go out for dinner and shopping for the rest of the day and late night. Also I can catch up some sleep after the plane has taken off anyway if required.

CX138 whilst great for "saving a day", but it normally arrive at HKG at 4am (even though officially 5am from CX), so I have to hang around airport for a while, and shops at HKG doesn't open until 10/11am anyway, not to mention cannot check into hotel until at least 2 pm in general.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 5:04 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
CX will further increase capacity again when they start converting the 77W Y class to 10 across. No doubt everyone here will be thrilled with that development....When does that happen again? 2018? Later?
Old Feb 16, 2017, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
CX will further increase capacity again when they start converting the 77W Y class to 10 across. No doubt everyone here will be thrilled with that development....When does that happen again? 2018? Later?
Yes 2018 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post27340043
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh come on ..... Can't we just have a little fun here?!
Fun is fun, but buying a type that has generally been an abject failure for everyone other than EK is about as realistic as free unlimited lifetime ice cream and ponies in CX Y. I mean, who doesn't like ice cream and ponies... but what you and I like doesn't matter that much when it comes to what makes a profitable airline.

And a fleet of two makes no sense from an operational standpoint. One goes mechanical for any length of time, whoops, huge problem.

If SQ isn't all that enamored with the A380 (enough so they're returning them to the lessor), I don't think CX would be either.

That's why I suggest A380s only because of the flight restrictions that CX cannot break free of. Admittedly it may not be most economical plane for CX, but I love the A380s.
Once they redo 77Ws to 10 across Y as mentioned, that gives them plenty of capacity.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. SQ Gold.
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Once they redo 77Ws to 10 across Y as mentioned, that gives them plenty of capacity.
if they have clients left that is. many mainland careers fly direct china aus route now. the capacity issue is only for major airports so likes of HX opening up OOL route isnt subject of capacity. for european connections ME3 are winning price war.

again its the yield that matters. they can deploy 777 with 10abrest or whatever but if they arent profitable this can end in tears.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: AC, US, AA, UA, BA, QF, DL...
If they didn't buy A380s for HKG-LHR (which has tighter slot restrictions and greater premium cabin demand), they're not going to buy them for HKG-SYD.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fakecd
if they have clients left that is. many mainland careers fly direct china aus route now. the capacity issue is only for major airports so likes of HX opening up OOL route isnt subject of capacity. for european connections ME3 are winning price war.

again its the yield that matters. they can deploy 777 with 10abrest or whatever but if they arent profitable this can end in tears.
Presumably one way of making profit is more paying passengers on the same plane. It's not like CX doesn't have choices in the AU/NZ market in terms of which planes to fly (which is my point, they don't need the A380 to add seats)... if they really wanted to chase premium they could fly 77Ws with F. They haven't for years, so at least F yields don't seem to be great in that market. Are you saying CX J is uncompetitive and not earning good yields in AU/NZ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.