Search

China Flight Delays

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond
China Flight Delays

Ref http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ly-2014-a.html

I'm off to PVG on Sunday back on Tuesday.

Has anyone experienced any (worse than usual ) delays?

hkairport is showing a few cancellations.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 9:45 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
There's a thread in China forum on this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/china...ly-2014-a.html , I'm not sure if mods will require us to discuss there.

Apple Daily quoted Beijing PSB Weibo "high-frequency exercises of another user" http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/realti...40722/52717498. We presume that's code for military exercises.

But tracking HKG-PVG flights, there were more than 20 flights delayed for >100 minutes and 3 cancellations on Monday 21 July (see below):

No more extraordinary cancellations and delays like that yesterday and today, but no idea when the next miltary exercises are - the airlines are on notice the exercises end 15 August.

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 22, 2014 at 9:59 pm
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
I think we should keep this thread to CX/KA flight delays only for this China situation, in which case the thread will stay alive and also be very useful. I've got a few KA flights to China next week and I'm sure plenty of others do too.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:33 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Yes please keep this thread related to CX/KA delays.

Thanks

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:41 pm

Very useful information. I do not have to frequently travel to the mainland (as some of the others here, even weekly or bi-weekly) but do have to do so every now and then. I sometimes do day trips to Shanghai. With delays of this sort, day trips aren't really possible.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 5:53 am

Today seems bad too - 5 flights over 100 minutes and 2 cancelled (cx/ka only), out of 18 flights delayed and 3 cancelled

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 26, 2014 at 6:12 am
Old Jul 27, 2014, 12:54 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Damn, that's bad. I might have schedule my flights with bigger padding for delays/cancellations it would seem.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 7:11 am
Original Poster

delays

Sitting here in the Wing. Scheduled departure was 19:05. Currently listed as 22:30 along with two other Shanghai bound KA flights.

Who knows when (if) we will depart.

Time for another Champagne....
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:28 am

CX/KA: 6 delays <100 minutes, 3 cancels
Overall: 20 delays <100 minutes, 3 cancels

SCMP says the PRC wants to scare Japan

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 27, 2014 at 9:43 am
Old Jul 27, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, Former CX Diamond, TG Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Amex Platinum
Arrived at PVG two hours prior to my Saturday afternoon departure. Checkin was closed off and no one was being allowed through. When I asked what was going on, was shouted at that I could either wait to checkin for my original flight although they were not sure when that would be since the aircraft had not left Hong Kong or go to the standby counter which was mobbed. I asked if there was a special standby queue for DMs, was shouted at that “everyone same, no Diamond queue”. Approached another ground agent and rudely told the same thing. Tried a third ground agent who quietly and politely took me to a counter and checked me into the next flight. I realize these delays are beyond CX/KA’s control but not an unusual occurrence so I was extremely surprised to see the chaos around the checkin counters and the rudeness of many of the ground agents.

Last edited by frankyguy; Jul 27, 2014 at 10:17 pm
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:33 pm
Original Poster

ka894

Well KA894 eventually departed at 12:59am arriving into PVG at about 3.15am.

Naturally the driver I had booked had bailed and there were probably 400 people in the taxi queue. On the bright side there was a steady stream of taxis and I eventually made it to my hotel at 5am.

Good job I don't have any formal meetings until this afternoon.

My advice is get the first flight up in the morning, everything else is likely to be subject to cancellation or significant delay.

Really looking forward to my trip home tomorrow
Old Jul 29, 2014, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by mdevans
Well KA894 eventually departed at 12:59am arriving into PVG at about 3.15am.

Naturally the driver I had booked had bailed and there were probably 400 people in the taxi queue. On the bright side there was a steady stream of taxis and I eventually made it to my hotel at 5am.

Good job I don't have any formal meetings until this afternoon.

My advice is get the first flight up in the morning, everything else is likely to be subject to cancellation or significant delay.

Really looking forward to my trip home tomorrow
Should've checked FT and said hi to you. I was also sitting in The Wing waiting for KA890 to receive ATC clearance. We finally departed ~8.5 hrs behind schedule. What do ya know, my chauffeur bailed too! Taxi queue was rather lively at 2am.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 8:38 am

Flew up on Sunday to Hongqiao, with only a 15-minute delay. Fly in the morning. I thought the Hongqiao experience was far better than Pudong even though the airport is old. It only took 20 minutes from de-planing to hopping into the taxi.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MattPol
Should've checked FT and said hi to you. I was also sitting in The Wing waiting for KA890 to receive ATC clearance. We finally departed ~8.5 hrs behind schedule. What do ya know, my chauffeur bailed too! Taxi queue was rather lively at 2am.

Better than yesterdays last flight to Beijing which has just boarded at 7,45am!

Return flight from Shanghai was a comparative dream. Went to PVG early, managed to get on an earlier flight and received an op-up at the gate. Almost made up for the previous day!

Back at the airport again heading off to BKK. Nearly time to head to the gate.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:11 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Damn this sounds bad. I'm flying KA 897 on Friday at 7:40 pm departure with a connection to NRT at 1 am. I wanted the 7 am arrival, but if I miss the connection, it will be trip in vain since I return the follow day.

So far the history from the last week looks like my flight should be fine (albeit delayed). Should I move myself to an earlier flight now just to be safe?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.