Search

CX is Airline of the Year 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:42 am
MPC
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SPG PLT, Accor PLT, IHG PLT AMB, Hyatt DM, HH DM
Thumbs up CX is Airline of the Year 2014

CX is Airline of the Year 2014 and the best airline in Asia in Skytrax World Airline Award

Congratulations

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Aw...irline2014.htm
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:02 am

+1

Not sure how much Skytrax results mean (sorry EK) but I'm glad CX won.

I've always been a SQ fanboy for years but I've started taking more flights with CX recently where viable and I can't recall a single bad flight, even though on-time performance has been utterly horrible recently for some strange reason.

Last edited by mitwg; Jul 15, 2014 at 7:09 am
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by MPC
CX is Airline of the Year 2014 and the best airline in Asia in Skytrax World Airline Award

Congratulations

http://www.worldairlineawards.com/Aw...irline2014.htm
Awards and rankings are controversial as they are somewhat subjective and subject to biases, including airline "sponsorship" of the ranking organization.
But this CX Award is not undeserved. CX has a top F seat fleetwide, a top J seat on its flagship plane (777), a very good new PE and is replacing its awful fixed shell Y seat by a much-better reclining seat. CX is very consistent and usually reliable from booking onward. Service onboard is good, although food/wine in premium classes are below some/many competitors. My personal complain is their regional J seat which is really poor and not improved with the new one. But their longhaul product is indeed top in my opinion.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: JMB Diamond,NH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, IHG Royal Ambassador Spire,
Originally Posted by brunos
Awards and rankings are controversial as they are somewhat subjective and subject to biases, including airline "sponsorship" of the ranking organization.
But this CX Award is not undeserved. CX has a top F seat fleetwide, a top J seat on its flagship plane (777), a very good new PE and is replacing its awful fixed shell Y seat by a much-better reclining seat. CX is very consistent and usually reliable from booking onward. Service onboard is good, although food/wine in premium classes are below some/many competitors. My personal complain is their regional J seat which is really poor and not improved with the new one. But their longhaul product is indeed top in my opinion.
^
With the exception of the regional seat which while not being great is not that bad IMO, I agree. The CX cabin crew consistently go the extra mile for me and despite my gripes, DM treatment onboard is still very good. I've taken J class flights this year with MH,BR,BA,OZ,SQ and overall CX wins for consistency and overall reliability and safety.OZ as second for Excellent service
Old Jul 15, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: QF plat, CX gold, SQ pps, Ethihad gold, Klm gold, HH gold, spy gold
I seriously think cx DON'T deserve it. Their hard product is very much below par, especially the regional business class seats. They looked like economy seats to me. And their in flight food offering is really limited in choice.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 9:08 am

For J or F-class, I think they are good. But Y-class? They don't have mood lighting, no amenity kits, no pillows/blankets for regional flights etc. I am not saying CX is bad, actually I think CX is alright, but maybe not deserved to be the best...
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by B-HXG
For J or F-class, I think they are good. But Y-class? They don't have mood lighting, no amenity kits, no pillows/blankets for regional flights etc. I am not saying CX is bad, actually I think CX is alright, but maybe not deserved to be the best...
Note that CX came in 6th for Economy class, and 8th for the economy class seat.

I think how CX won is an overall average in all categories and not based solely on one category.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 10:54 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Congrats CX!

My F flights have always been wonderful =)

QR at number 2. Seriously.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:45 am

I for one am NOT surprised. We may complain about CX because we are so used to them. But compare to the world, CX is head and shoulders above and beyond. When I decided to ditch Northwest for an Asian airline I've tried SQ, ANA, and JAL and even then I've realized CX is above them all, yes even SQ.

Now, I believe this is two-ways. Yes CX made us all proud with their achievements, but the standard of qualify for flying is so low now, CX is above and beyond because they have few true competitors. Seems like most airlines nowdays just have flea market mentality: CHEAP PRICE! rather than quality product...
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: BA CX
It's now on the CX website - but they need to change the sliding bar advert

It reads: "Cathay Pacific voted World's Best Airline 2014. Hong Kong, we did it again. Thanks you."

Oops!
Old Jul 15, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, KrisFlyer Elite Gold
whooohoooooo! well done!
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:20 pm

Not being bias here as I fly for CX, but CX is better than SQ in some aspects. The lounges, the IFE selection, the connection/hub experience and the service is where CX excels over SQ. The meals, the screen size and check in experience is where SQ excels. I tried my first SQ experience last year from HKG-SIN on the A380 and while the meals were nicely plated and there were more selection of meals on SQ than CX, I ultimately felt that CX wins in service. CX tends to be more "heart warming" if you call it that and are easier to get a conversation going, while the cabin crew of SQ, they just felt awkward conversing with passengers. So basically the service on CX is more engaging and personalized. And no, leather doesn't always equate to luxury. It's one of those things that people tend to forget sometimes.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Congrats to CX ^

Solid AS partner
Old Jul 15, 2014, 6:15 pm

A cursory look at the top ten reveals parity between OW and *A, with SkyTeam a distant third.

If one wanted to be very technical and assuming the top 10 is accurate, *A would be first if adding up the point values of its members (e.g., giving 10 points to first place and 1 point to tenth place). The results would be 23, 19, and 4.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy

I think how CX won is an overall average in all categories and not based solely on one category.
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
I for one am NOT surprised. We may complain about CX because we are so used to them. But compare to the world, CX is head and shoulders above and beyond. When I decided to ditch Northwest for an Asian airline I've tried SQ, ANA, and JAL and even then I've realized CX is above them all, yes even SQ.
I don't think CX can beat SQ's book the cook at all, not to mention, NH is simply above CX in every category no matter F, C, or Y (NH's regional C is probably tied with CX regional J). I mean how can you accept that tiny little disposable cup of mouthwash in the CX F kit ? When NH F is using Rimowa !
Not to mention, NH C has PJ available as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.