Wiki Posts
Search

CX897 or CX885 First Class?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist Caesars Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
CX897 or CX885 First Class?

I will be reaching LAX at 8 AM.. Then I need opinion on which connecting CX flight to take..

CX897 leaves LAX at 9:40 and arrives HKG at 15:30 (approx)
CX885 leaves LAX at 13:15 and arrives HKG at 19:00 (approx)

And then, I have to take another flight at 22:00 from HKG..

I am planning to travel first class and this will be my first time.. Will there be any diff between CX897 and CX885 (seat, in-flight features, newer flight, etc)...?

Also, is it worth to take the 9:40 flight so I could spend more time at the HKG CX lounge instead of the LAX CX lounge by taking 13:15 flight? But the 13:15 flight will give myself more transit time at LAX.. But is HKG lounge better than LAX to make it worth the risk?

Thanks for your replies !!
Old Jun 7, 2014, 8:25 pm

If you only have access to the J lounge at HKG then a 3 hour transit by taking 885 is certainly enough time.

But if you do get to go to the F lounge its up to you on whether you think you'll need a bit more time, especially if you want to grab a cabana
Old Jun 7, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
I would spend more time in HK, and I think it is mentioned on sticky or elsewhere that if you arrive in F, transit in same day, you can get F lounge most.

To be honest though, if you have 15:30 - 22:00 in HK, it may worth to go in-town and have a quick look in the city. only cost you HKD 100 for airport express same day return ticket and HK immigration is efficient.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:40 pm

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
yes F arrival with same day connect will grant you F lounge access and I would try and maximize F lounge time - plus you can hop to bridge, cabin and qf lounge as well
Old Jun 8, 2014, 12:12 am

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
All flights are 777W so F seats all the same. For me Id spend lotsa F lounge/cabana time to chill but Ive also been to HKG many times, no city visit for me.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Agree with others and head to HKG for a longer visit. You can also lounge hop and check out the various CX lounges plus the new QF lounge ^
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the response everyone.. Sounds like 9:40 flight will be best option..

Yes, my connecting flight at HKG will be business class flight since it does not have F unfortunately.. But it looks like I am still ok to get access to F lounge since my LAX to HKG will be F..

beckoa - "various" CX lounges? Are there a lot of diff ones..? Wow..
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:06 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
A further consideration, is your arrival into LAX at 8am from your place of origin on the same PNR? That is, are you booking ZZZ - LAX - HKG - AAA as 1 ticket or at the very least is ZZZ - LAX - HKG on 1 ticket?

If not, then a 1 hour 40 min connection at LAX is pushing it as you are likely to need to collect bags and check-in again and if your inbound flight is late, then you may be in a spot of trouble. More so if your place of origin is not in the USA.

If you are able to check your bags all the way through to AAA from ZZZ (or at least to HKG from ZZZ), then if 1 hour 40 mins at LAX is a legal connection, do that.

Last edited by JClasstraveller; Jun 8, 2014 at 3:08 am Reason: Further info
Old Jun 8, 2014, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
A further consideration, is your arrival into LAX at 8am from your place of origin on the same PNR? That is, are you booking ZZZ - LAX - HKG - AAA as 1 ticket or at the very least is ZZZ - LAX - HKG on 1 ticket?

If not, then a 1 hour 40 min connection at LAX is pushing it as you are likely to need to collect bags and check-in again and if your inbound flight is late, then you may be in a spot of trouble. More so if your place of origin is not in the USA.

If you are able to check your bags all the way through to AAA from ZZZ (or at least to HKG from ZZZ), then if 1 hour 40 mins at LAX is a legal connection, do that.
Yes yes.. All will be on one ticket and I will be traveling from a US city.. 1h 40m layover seems to be a legal connection as well..
Old Jun 8, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by sowhatwegetdrunk
Yes yes.. All will be on one ticket and I will be traveling from a US city.. 1h 40m layover seems to be a legal connection as well..
Ok, just checking because it wasn't clear from your original post.

I would just book the 0940 departure and if you're delayed, CX will rebook you.

There's no reason to hang around longer than necessary at LAX. Either going into HKG or going to CX lounges at HKG are preferable to hanging around LAX.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 11:32 pm

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
beckoa - "various" CX lounges? Are there a lot of diff ones..? Wow..
Yes. Five lounge complexes (The Wing (two lounges, F and J), The Cabin, The Bridge, The Pier (two lounges, F and J, but F is currently closed for renovation), and G16). Oh, and a landslide arrival lounge as well (The Arrival).

Take a look at the wiki here.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Waaahh.. Just read about the Wing and Cabana.. Looks like I am gonna get drunk and rest in the cabana whole evening.. lol..

By the way, are couples allowed to use a single cabana and do whatever they want to?
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Waaahh.. Just read about the Wing and Cabana.. Looks like I am gonna get drunk and rest in the cabana whole evening.. lol..
Beverage wise enjoy the Krug onboard. The stuff in the lounge isn't as good- but they do have some good bartenders

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.