Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club
Reload this Page >

When did Cathay stop giving Club Sectors to fares earning Asia Miles?

Old Jun 4, 14, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM

I just did a mileage run to Shanghai - except it failed miserably because although I got some miles that was not the point - I needed the club sectors for my Diamond status. And the fare, while earning miles, did NOT earn Sectors. There was NOTHING to indicate that this would happen when I booked it (I checked, carefully, and nothing) so I'm really pissed.

I just tried ringing Cathay to complain and got nowhere (despite being Diamond, the "english speaking" line gave me someone who was incapable of comprehending anything - she kept trying to make me a booking to shanghai rather than understand I was talking about something past.)

Has anyone else had any luck getting their sectors back? I normally say good things about Cathay but this is just a joke.
Old Jun 4, 14, 9:13 pm
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I assume your flight was in S, N or Q class? It started from October 2013, when they started giving 25% asia miles to these fares:

Economy Class (25%)* S, N, Q 25% of actual miles flown
* for eligible travel from 8 October 2013 onwards.
These fare classes didn't earn anything at all previously. Then CX threw us a bone and gave us asia miles but no club miles on these fares.
Old Jun 4, 14, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas (Lifetime Gold), PAL (Elite), British Airways (now sadly blue), Cathay MPO DM
Yes it was an N fare. No Asia Miles is fine, I have no problem with cheap tickets with zero Asia Miles. But changing it so that its now impossible to tell when you make a booking which fares earn club sectors and which don't is pathetic.
Old Jun 4, 14, 9:39 pm
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I know it's not as straightforward as before, but the club miles/sectors rules have been very clear:

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ub-tiers.html#

Code:
When you fly in eligible fare classes
with Cathay Pacific or Dragonair		You can earn Club miles and Club sectors
(% of actual miles or sectors flown)
First Class F, A				150% or 1.5
Business Class C, J, D, I			125% or 1.25
Premium Economy Class W, R, E			110% or 1.1
Economy Class Y, B, H, K, M, L, V		100% or 1
Old Jun 4, 14, 9:53 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor G | Marriott P | SPG P| Hilton S
Originally Posted by sxc View Post
I know it's not as straightforward as before, but the club miles/sectors rules have been very clear:

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...ub-tiers.html#

Code:
When you fly in eligible fare classes
with Cathay Pacific or Dragonair		You can earn Club miles and Club sectors
(% of actual miles or sectors flown)
First Class F, A				150% or 1.5
Business Class C, J, D, I			125% or 1.25
Premium Economy Class W, R, E			110% or 1.1
Economy Class Y, B, H, K, M, L, V		100% or 1

Actually, I wonder why CX gives miles but not Club miles/sectors on those promo fare.

I though miles will cost them money, as those can be redeem for free tickets. While club miles/sectors will expire in 12 months and if one do not collect enough club miles/sectors then it worth nothing.

to me shouldn't an airlines recognize the passenger who really "frequent" flyer even he always by the cheapest fares. No matter what they are still a loyal customer, aren't they, even revenue-wise may not be the best.
Old Jun 4, 14, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

That's not where you look when booking a flight though - indeed you have to search all over the site to find that table (even your link did not go there straight away, another click or two required). Hiding this information is unfair. Or just being so stupid as to not realise people need to know it is just bad business practise. Either way they screwed up.

And as per lingua's comment above - the damn things are cost-less; so why not give them to frequent fliers!
Old Jun 5, 14, 12:53 am

Programs: QF Emerald. CX Nobody
maybe because club is supposedly an exclusive club and they don't want wingers asking why can't i earn towards status flying on those cheapo fares?
Old Jun 5, 14, 1:12 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
V fare is the lowest that earns miles and sectors.

Also the lowest fare that lets you select seats in advance.

All normal to me.
Old Jun 5, 14, 1:55 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX DM (Emerald), former Hyatt DM, and current Marriott Gold.
I think the best thing to do (and it's a bit of a pain), is to call MPC and inform the agent you want a specific fare code for your sectors. For example, I can never get both sectors in R when I book online. I have to call MPC and specify an R fare booking, which is eligible for a mileage upgrade to J.
Old Jun 5, 14, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by fakecd View Post
maybe because club is supposedly an exclusive club and they don't want wingers asking why can't i earn towards status flying on those cheapo fares?
Well perhaps CX is afraid some elites will stop flying CX if they give club sectors/miles to these deep discounted fares....
Old Jun 5, 14, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lingua101 View Post
Well perhaps CX is afraid some elites will stop flying CX if they give club sectors/miles to these deep discounted fares....
if it wasnt BA that gives 25% avios to a few of those fares i dont think CX would bother. i wouldnt bother to get on those fares for MR purposes anyways.
Old Jun 5, 14, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by kaka View Post
if it wasnt BA that gives 25% avios to a few of those fares i dont think CX would bother. i wouldnt bother to get on those fares for MR purposes anyways.

Why CX should bother when BA gives 25% on those fare?

If those sub class will give you 1 sector, you still do not bother to get on those fares for MR? Well I guess depend if you need club miles or club sector
Old Jun 5, 14, 10:12 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by fakecd View Post
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
V fare is the lowest that earns miles and sectors.

Also the lowest fare that lets you select seats in advance.

All normal to me.
I think the OP has a valid complaint. Basically it is unclear during the booking process as to whether or not the fare earns Club Miles/Sectors. Previously (before Oct 2013), if the Asia Miles box on the booking page was ticked, you got Club Miles/Sectors and if it wasn't then you didn't.

Now, you have cases where it is ticked but you don't earn Club Miles/Sectors. Surely this can cause confusion, as it did to the OP.

I am certainly not advocating that N fares should earn Club Miles/Sectors. Just agreeing with the OP that CX website does not give this information clearly.

Yes, it is available on the MPC section but it's not an obvious place to look if the booking engine has a "tick" under mileage earning.
Old Jun 6, 14, 2:38 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by midlevels View Post
I think the OP has a valid complaint. Basically it is unclear during the booking process as to whether or not the fare earns Club Miles/Sectors. Previously (before Oct 2013), if the Asia Miles box on the booking page was ticked, you got Club Miles/Sectors and if it wasn't then you didn't.

Now, you have cases where it is ticked but you don't earn Club Miles/Sectors. Surely this can cause confusion, as it did to the OP.

I am certainly not advocating that N fares should earn Club Miles/Sectors. Just agreeing with the OP that CX website does not give this information clearly.

Yes, it is available on the MPC section but it's not an obvious place to look if the booking engine has a "tick" under mileage earning.
the tick, however, says asiamiles - not MPC...
Old Jun 6, 14, 3:03 am

Programs: CX GO, AC Altitude, Radisson Gold
Agree with OP's point of view to a certain extent. CX doesn't show the booking class until the flights are confirmed and you are on your way to the payment page. And here they only show the asia miles you can earn.

In order to see whether club miles or club sectors are applicable, you need log into the manage booking>My details>Frequent Flyer.

I would however thought that the OP, being Diamond status, would be aware of the various CX booking classes and the "benefits" that comes with each booking class !

Search this Thread
Search Engine: