Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Special Meals in J

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Ace71
No I don't but if you or I order a no beef or no seafood meal I'm pretty sure you would expect to be able to choose an alternative meal rather than expect a meal choosen for you by the airline.
No.

Repeat after me, slowly: Passengers may request special meals in advance if they require them because of religious or health reasons. If a passenger chooses from the special meal list, that passenger gives up the right to choose from the onboard menu.

This is true on any airline. FAs may make exceptions, but that does not change the basic principle. The special meal order is NOT a way to increase your options over and above those offered by the onboard menu.

You have now been told this in many ways by many posters. I can see that you want to continue debating this indefinitely, but it is not worth continuing.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Jan 30, 2017 at 1:17 pm
Old Jan 30, 2017, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

Attached is the menu for our flight, there is 4 non beef main meals and the pasta meal is marked vegetarian. So unless the other 3 meals had beef product included as an ingrediant then Cathay did not have to prepare/provide an non beef/special meal.

Also don't most airlines have more food onboard than is needed, we was put on a Qantas connecting flight as we missed our Cathay connecting flight from HKG to BNE, my 1st choice of dessert had run out I was asked to choose 1 or if I like all the other 3 choices of desserts and the selection of cheese?
Airlines receive hundreds (thousands?) of special meal requests per day. They don't go through the menu (sometimes for flights months in advance) and determine whether there's a potential meal already on the menu, and then look at all the ingredients for that dish to make sure they exclude all by-products of your excluded item.

They simply send through the dietary request to the kitchens who then make up your meal. If you have several items that you can't eat, for example beef and fish, then you need to make that choice clear from the outset. And they will cater accordingly.

It happens sometimes that you don't like the meal they have chosen for you. In that case you can either wait till other passenger have made their choice, or perhaps the crew will find you a meal from another cabin (including economy). I've had several economy meals in my time in premium cabins. No biggie... I'm either hungry or not.

Some airlines carry a few additional meals to cater for choice for all passengers. But this is more likely in First class. Desserts are different... airlines will often cater for a pudding, cheese and fruit for everyone so you will have a greater choice (and some people don't eat dessert anyway). British Airways was a notable exception, you could either have cheese or pudding. If you wanted both you had to wait until the rest of the cabin had made their choice. Any left you could have it. (Often there was none left.)
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
....Having said that, for 24left, VOML - Vegetarian Oriental Meal is always quite good on CX. You get a one of those crispy buns, and a vegetarian cooked Chinese style.

@Guy Betsy

Thanks for your reply and suggestion. Much appreciated!
Old Jan 30, 2017, 11:59 pm

Programs: CX MPO DM, Le Club Accor Platinum, World of Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by nas6034
If one were to choose special meal in F or J and decide to forego it for what's on the menu is it possible? F? J?
I believe this was Ace71's problem. He ordered a special meal for his mother but she wanted to forego it for items on the menu. Normally the crew would say that if a passenger wishes to forego his/her special meal, he/she needs to wait until all other passengers have selected their meals before they can offer what was left on the cart.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:02 am

When the menu's are given out, I have never been able to asked for my choice there & then (whenever in business, premium or economy).
They don't normally ask not unless you are a Diamond/Emerald, but if you inform the Senior Purser by saying, "excuse me, my mother doesn't take beef, would it be possible to set aside XXXXXX for her?" I am sure the crew would be more than happy to do it for you.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:12 am

The crew did not make this offer for the main meal, they offered my mother a extra bread roll.
But you said earlier

What my mother got was a "special" fish dish but she wanted something on the menu (mushroom pasta) the crew said that because you made the request we will have to see what is left once the other business passengers have made there meal choice which she didn't get.
so which one would it be?

No I don't but if you or I order a no beef or no seafood meal I'm pretty sure you would expect to be able to choose an alternative meal rather than expect a meal choosen for you by the airline. If you don't eat their choice of meal isn't that wastage?
This is where expectation and reality disconnect...unfortunately you expected to be able to choose an alternative meal, where as like many people have pointed out here, that the reality is most if not all airlines have a policy that once a special meal is ordered (No Beef Meal is a Special Meal) you served whatever food was loaded for you on the flight.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Apologies to sscywong - I mixed up the main meal and breakfast.
The cabin crew didn't offer an alternative for the main meal but she did get an alternative breakfast (from congee to omlette).
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
A request in any way "No Beef" is automatically classified as a SPML - Special Meal.

So if you did request a special meal even though you had suggested that. However if you had told the crew upon boarding, they would have put something aside for you or at least let your mother choose her meal first.

Having said that, for 24left, VOML - Vegetarian Oriental Meal is always quite good on CX. You get a one of those crispy buns, and a vegetarian cooked Chinese style.

@Guy Betsy

With the greatest of thanks for your reco!!!!!

I ordered VOML - Vegetarian Oriental Meals for all 4 flights: 829, 739, 724 and 826.

Overall, the meal items ranged from excellent to outstanding on 829 and 739.

I skipped dinner for sleep on 714, and 826 was less impressive which I'll explain when I post the photos.

Below I'll start with just the specific VOML items on CX 829.

Thanks again!
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:08 pm
Suspended

CX 829 - April 2017 - VOML - Vegetarian Oriental Meal

These photos are the specific items that came with my VOML.

The dinner service was outstanding. The appetizer salad had a perfect vinaigrette seasoning, the fruit was just perfect and the hot meal was delicious.

I skipped the breakfast hot meal as I'm not a congee fan. (with apologies )

Attached Images      
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by 24left

The dinner service was outstanding. The appetizer salad had a perfect vinaigrette seasoning, the fruit was just perfect and the hot meal was delicious.

I skipped the breakfast hot meal as I'm not a congee fan. (with apologies )

Glad you liked your VOML. I would if I could order more but as I'm wheat intolerant, the VOML tend to be very noodle and bun based and I usually end up with just the vegetables.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:12 pm
Suspended

CX 739 HKG-SIN April 2017

The appetizer salad with the baby corn and finely grated vegetables also had had a very tasty dressing.

The hot meal was delicious. It seemed to be a tofu version of pineapple chicken. Tasty sauce, a bit sweet but at least it had some spice.

Attached Images     
Old Apr 27, 2017, 4:19 pm
Suspended

CX 826 HKG-YYZ April 2017

The are almost exactly the same 4 items as CX 739.

The only issue was the salad with the baby corn and finely grated vegetables and the tomato appetizer did not seem fresh. It was as if they had been prepared days earlier.

The hot meal (same a tofu version of pineapple chicken) was very good and heated properly.

The breakfast noodle dish had 2 dumplings instead of chopped vegetables, otherwise, the dish was tasty and the same as the supper on CX 829 posted above.

The fruit from with breakfast was not served the same as the regular meals and had different fruit, but was fine, although not yet ripe.

Attached Images     
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:15 am
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
CX619 HKG-BKK Muslim MOML (2019 Jan)

CX 619 HKG-BKK (9am departure) Muslim meal MOML
2019 Jan

Breakfast
  • Cut fruits: strawberry, kiwi fruit, orange, melon and pineapple;
  • Blueberry yoghurt; and
  • Main: scrambled egg, sausage, chicken (?) fillet, beans and diced carrot & zucchini in tomato paste and lump of potato; and

Bread Selection
Assorted bread and butter (was the bakery made with lard???)
For normal meal menu please see this post.
Attached Images  
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by royng
Bread Selection
Assorted bread and butter (was the bakery made with lard???)
Yes most likely, as is the case with vast majority of Hong Kong Bakeries. Butter is too expensive and it is not part of a typical Chinese diet, where as pig and its by-products are easier to come by.

Note the Maxim's "gutter oil" lard scandal a few years back will make you not want to eat bakery items in Hong Kong/Greater China region.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: BAEC
Hi, has anyone had experience of what a child’s special meal is like on Cathay? We’re flying long-haul (Manchester to HKG return) plus also a couple of other regional flights (HKG to SIngapore and Penang to HKG) all in business class. My daughter is 12 and so is priced as an adult but I think ordering a child’s meal may be safer as she isn’t a particularly adventurous eater. Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.