Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ernestnywang
oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards Wiki v0.1

Rules
1. You need two non CX/KA carriers
2. You are allowed 5 stopovers, 2 transits (<=24hrs) and 2 open jaws. You can use your stopover allowance as a transit, possibly by asking for it to be ticketed as such (extra taxes?). [Using stopover for transit is no longer possible since 2021/22?]
3. The open-jaw points do not count towards your stopover allowance. Neither does the final city on the itinerary
4. You must start and end in the same country.
5. To determine the miles required, add up all flight sectors on your itinerary and look up the award chart (ignore the distance between open-jaw points). gcmap.com is handy, though best to go via asiamiles' calculator.
6. Co-terminals (NRT/HND, LHR/LCY) do not count as an open-jaw (takes up 1 stopover/transit allowance).

If an itinerary clears the above, it is valid, though you may have to argue a lot back and forth. Keep your patience suit on and and keep referring to the terms & conditions ("What in the T&Cs makes this invalid" tends to work).

For the examples below, x=transit, o=stopover, and capitalized alphabets represent airports.

Some valid routings that have commonly been pushed back on
1. "You cannot go through the start, destination, or enroute point more than once". A-oB-oA-oC-oD-A is a valid itinerary.
2. "An open-jaw point is a stopover". A-oB-oC-D//E-oF-G//H-oI-oJ-A is valid, as is A-oB-xC-D//E-oF-G//H-xI-oJ-oK-oL-A.

Other tips
1. Tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of issuance. Potentially a pain when planning that dream RTW trip involving LATAM/AA which release seats 330 days out, that you're trying to tee-in with CX award seats released a year out.
2. A combination of BA/AA/LATAM/QF sites works well to research availability (look for saver availability)
3. You can go crazy on the routings- A-oB-A//C-oD-C//E-A is fine if A,B,E are in country/Region # 1, and, C,D are at the other end of the world.

Print Wikipost

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:31 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
I’ve done that on a 2 class plane that (back then) was just First or coach awards.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NetJets Germany
Is this still the case? Thinking of booking a MCA which would include a domestic sector on AA (To get me to 3 carriers incl. CX). Trouble is business class is currently full on the flight that I am looking at, but economy would be available. So could I add that sector in economy into an overall MCA business class award?
Yes. Can add economy to a first class multi carrier award. Can add business to a first class multi carrier award. I've been able to do both in the last 12 months.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Could someone kindly tell me whether they think the following itineraries meet all the required criteria for an MCA? Aiming to fly the below for 210,000 miles in business class.

1) SIN(MH)-KUL//VIE(QR)-xDOH(QR)-oSIN(QR)-xDOH(QR)-oJFK(CX)-xHKG(CX)-oSIN//FRA(QR)-xDOH(QR)-SIN
...with first leg SIN-KUL in Y (Seemingly no availability in J) and flying JFK-HKG on CX865 which touches down in YVR en route to HKG; as it is one flight number, I presume I don't have to count the stop in YVR as part of my total of seven combined stop-overs and transits?
Total miles around 33,417, if I am not mistaken?

2) SIN(CX)-HKG//VIE(QR)-xDOH(QR)-oSIN(QR)-xDOH(QR)-oJFK(CX)-xHKG(CX)-oSIN//HEL(AY)-xBKK(CX)-SIN
Total miles 33,903 or thereabouts?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:22 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Could someone kindly tell me whether they think the following itineraries meet all the required criteria for an MCA? Aiming to fly the below for 210,000 miles in business class.

1) SIN(MH)-KUL//VIE(QR)-xDOH(QR)-oSIN(QR)-xDOH(QR)-oJFK(CX)-xHKG(CX)-oSIN//FRA(QR)-xDOH(QR)-SIN
...with first leg SIN-KUL in Y (Seemingly no availability in J) and flying JFK-HKG on CX865 which touches down in YVR en route to HKG; as it is one flight number, I presume I don't have to count the stop in YVR as part of my total of seven combined stop-overs and transits?
Total miles around 33,417, if I am not mistaken?

2) SIN(CX)-HKG//VIE(QR)-xDOH(QR)-oSIN(QR)-xDOH(QR)-oJFK(CX)-xHKG(CX)-oSIN//HEL(AY)-xBKK(CX)-SIN
Total miles 33,903 or thereabouts?
Both OK assuming agents let you count transits as stopovers (they should but they may not)
I believe it is possible to check the mileage requirement on AM's website now
Edit: believe you won't even need to count an 'o' for SIN before FRA/HEL.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Both OK assuming agents let you count transits as stopovers (they should but they may not)
I believe it is possible to check the mileage requirement on AM's website now
Edit: believe you won't even need to count an 'o' for SIN before FRA/HEL.
You saying the agents are generally ok with counting transits as stopovers? What are the chances of agents accepting this??
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rocket69
You saying the agents are generally ok with counting transits as stopovers? What are the chances of agents accepting this??
If you have unused stopovers, they can be used for transits if you have already used up the 2 transit limit.

Point it out to the agent if you get asked.

Taxes will most likely be higher for stopover than transit, which can be a big difference e.g. LHR.

Note that the opposite does not apply - an unused transit (<24 hours) cannot be used for a stopover (>24 hours).
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
Taxes will most likely be higher for stopover than transit, which can be a big difference e.g. LHR.
So when there are choices, go with the ones that have a small difference (or no difference) between transit and stopover tax, e. g., US airports.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
If you have unused stopovers, they can be used for transits if you have already used up the 2 transit limit.

Point it out to the agent if you get asked.

Note that the opposite does not apply - an unused transit (<24 hours) cannot be used for a stopover (>24 hours).
If i understand you right. Let's say i have used up my transits but still have stopovers. I could for example still do the HKG-DOH-LHR and it will be calculated as HKG-oDOH-oLHR instead of HKG-xDOH-oLHR. Is that correct?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:32 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Yes, correct. But you may need to escalate or try multiple agents to make that happen.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 3:01 am

Infant ticket - a quick how-to report for QR

So, I have managed to book the following for myself and the better half in business:

HKG-oKUL(KA)-xDOH(QR)-OSL(QR)//SIN-xDOH(QR)-MIA//KUL-oDOH(QR)-oBRU(QR)-oHEL(AY)-oKUL(AY)-HKG(KA)

For 210k miles and around HKD4,700 = USD600 in taxes and fees per pax. That part I am very happy with! ^

Now the troublesome bit:

We want to take our infant daughter on all of these trips, and let me tell you, it really wasn't easy to get her separate infant tickets for all of the required sectors. The good news is, I managed to get there in the end (At least for QR). Here is how:

1. QR's hotline in Doha said (Twice, through different agents) that a) they cannot sell infant tickets that are linked to award bookings (And that apparently even holds true for award bookings made through their own program, the Privilege Club) and b) as the MCA was issued by CX, they would have to sell me the infant ticket. I cannot say that the agents were very polite or appearing to try and make it work either, they seemed to have been programmed to say "Not possible" and leave it at that.

2. So I called the MPC DM hotline in HK next, who told me to call CX Reservations, as the latter were the ones able to process revenue tickets. I spent the next 2h on the phone to a very helpful chap who said that my gripe was far from being an uncommon one, as other pax have reported problems before having infant tickets issued by QR that are tied to adult's award bookings through CX. QR were still the ones responsible for issuing the award ticket, but they are usually "unhelpful" about these things, so the CX agent told me we would just have to chip away at it and stay perseverant until we got what we wanted from them. My CX agent spent the next 1h45m on the phone to various QR agents in DOH, while I was put on hold. Once, after an hour, he told me that he had found a QR agent who had indeed confirmed that he could issue the infant tickets for me, but by the time my agent had passed on the joyful news to me, said QR agent had hung up on my CX agent. Oh, well! My CX agent continue to talk to people at QR in DOH, but no-one would offer to sell us a ticket; apparently one of them had even gone quite rude on him. Hence he suggested that - in his experience - other airlines' agents at outstations were often better trained when it came to such requests, and that we should try calling the QR HKG team after the Easter holiday break. That was fine by me and I thanked him for his efforts.

3. A few minutes later, however, I decided to give it one last shot for the night: I had read online that someone else had been successful getting their infant ticket issued and attached to an AA award booking by calling the US QR hotline (+1 877 777 2827), whose call centre is based in Fort Lauderdale, FL. I dialled the number and was dismayed to hear from the first agent that they could not help with my request. I had had, however, made a tactical mistake, by telling the agent in advance that her colleagues in DOH had also refused me. So I HUACA'ed, feigned ignorance and simply stated to the next agent that CX had advised me what had to be done, i.e. issue individual QR infant bookings that would have to be linked to my CX award booking. That agent pretty much interrupted me, saying that this was "too complicated" for her, but that she would put me through to her supervisor. A minute later I was talking to my would-be saviour: A very polite and patient gentleman who heard me out, said "This should be possible", worked some magic in the background for 10 minutes and then came back to me to say that he had created four different infant bookings, which would cost USDxxx all in, and that he would only need to send an email to DOH to get permission to issue those tickets. When I heard that last bit I recoiled inwardly, but I put on a brave face and said "Of course!". The supervisor further noted that - seeing as I was in Asia, and it in the middle of my night by then - he would call me back around an hour before he would clock off for that day, so that I could get some sleep. He also took my email address to be sure to have all of my contact details. I thanked him and we ended our call. Five hours later, as promised, I received a phone call from QR in the US. Lo and behold, here was the first agent talking to me, the one who had originally said "No can do", but this time she was sweet as pie and confirmed that her supervisor had sorted it out and that we could now issue the tickets, for which she took my credit card details. 15mins later and we were done with everything, including email confirmations, emailed e-tickets for the infant tickets, and infant e-tickets linked to my award ticket on the CX manage my booking site!

So, to recap, for everyone who will be finding themselves in a similar situation to me:

1. Yes, it is QR who has to issue the infant ticket.
2. Calling the QR office in DOH will not likely yield much success. Try an outstation instead. I found the US office very helpful, even though it took two attempts to find a person who knew how to make it all happen.
3. Persevere! You have the correct information, so remain firm yet polite, and you should eventually get there in the end.

Now I only have to figure out how to get the same magic happen for the two sectors on AY... Keep your fingers crossed for me, please!
nsolitude likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Thanks for reporting, and all the best with the AY bookings!

Out of curiosity, you mentioned 4 QR tickets- could I check how the QR part of the itinerary was broken up into 4, as it doesn’t seem to be 1 ticket per segment?
ernestnywang likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by jagmeets
Thanks for reporting, and all the best with the AY bookings!

Out of curiosity, you mentioned 4 QR tickets- could I check how the QR part of the itinerary was broken up into 4, as it doesn’t seem to be 1 ticket per segment?
Certainly:
1. KUL-DOH-OSL
2. SIN-DOH-MIA
As the time spent in DOH was less than 24h on both occasions, the infant ticket could be issued as one from origin to destination.

3. KUL-DOH
4. DOH-BRU
And here the time spent in DOH was >24h, hence it counted as a stopover, and two separate infant tickets were issued accordingly.
jagmeets likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:40 am

Infant ticket - a quick how-to report on AY

So, in continuation of my earlier post, today I went about getting our daughter added to the two AY segments in our MCA.

Seeing as calling an outstation had worked well for me in the case of QR, I first tried to give AY in HKG a ring, only to find that their line was constantly engaged. After multiple attempts over half an hour, I called their number in Singapore instead (+65 6701 6906). I was surprised to talk to an agent who seemed to have a (very thick) Eastern European accent, but aside from the strong accent his English was very good. Unfortunately, initially he, too, tried to tell me that - as my award ticket had been issued by CX - it was CX who would also have to sell me the infant ticket. With my newly gained knowledge and confidence, I politely but firmly told him that this was incorrect, and that it was, in fact, AY who were the ones holding the powers to issue said ticket. I cited my recent experience with CX and QR, and after two minutes of hesitant pushback, the agent actually said something along the lines of "Okay, allow me to put you on hold while I talk to our back office about this". Ten minutes later he said that he had still not found the answer, but that he would continue to look into the matter for me and call me back later in the day once he had got the relevant information internally. About 1.5 hours later, out of the blue, I received an email from Finnair with the infant tickets generated for both sectors in question. They were free of charge! Half an hour after that, my mobile phone rang, with an unknown number from London calling me; it turned out to be my "SIN"-based agent, who was actually sitting in Europe. He confirmed that the tickets had been issued and that he would send them to me via email shortly; a couple of minutes later, I therefore received my second email from Finnair which contained the infant tickets. The agent helpfully also suggested that I should print off the email and bring it along for check-in, as - while there should not be any problem - it could do no harm and might help clear up any misunderstandings if the system was not showing our daughter's ticket as attached to our own. ^

In summary, the take-away for myself has been pretty much the same as I mentioned earlier with regards to QR:

1. The operating airline is the one who can issue the infant ticket for you.
2. Many agents that you talk to over the phone may not have been trained to know this, so a lot of them will erroneously tell you that CX is the responsible party. If that happens, first try to enlighten them, and if they remain stubborn, hang up and call again, if necessary, at a different outstation.
3. The outstations may have more experience in servicing such requests than head-office. Even there, you may have to try multiple times until you find something who will support you in your quest and either have the tickets issued themselves or escalate the matter internally.
4. Never give up! You are in the right, and it can be done!
jagmeets likes this.

Last edited by NetJets Germany; Apr 23, 2019 at 8:47 am Reason: Tidying up typos
Old Apr 23, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
So, in continuation of my earlier post, today I went about getting our daughter added to the two AY segments in our MCA.

Seeing as calling an outstation had worked well for me in the case of QR, I first tried to give AY in HKG a ring, only to find that their line was constantly engaged. After multiple attempts over half an hour, I called their number in Singapore instead (+65 6701 6906). I was surprised to talk to an agent who seemed to have a (very thick) Eastern European accent, but aside from the strong accent his English was very good. Unfortunately, initially he, too, tried to tell me that - as my award ticket had been issued by CX - it was CX who would also have to sell me the infant ticket. With my newly gained knowledge and confidence, I politely but firmly told him that this was incorrect, and that it was, in fact, AY who were the ones holding the powers to issue said ticket. I cited my recent experience with CX and QR, and after two minutes of hesitant pushback, the agent actually said something along the lines of "Okay, allow me to put you on hold while I talk to our back office about this". Ten minutes later he said that he had still not found the answer, but that he would continue to look into the matter for me and call me back later in the day once he had got the relevant information internally. About 1.5 hours later, out of the blue, I received an email from Finnair with the infant tickets generated for both sectors in question. They were free of charge! Half an hour after that, my mobile phone rang, with an unknown number from London calling me; it turned out to be my "SIN"-based agent, who was actually sitting in Europe. He confirmed that the tickets had been issued and that he would send them to me via email shortly; a couple of minutes later, I therefore received my second email from Finnair which contained the infant tickets. The agent helpfully also suggested that I should print off the email and bring it along for check-in, as - while there should not be any problem - it could do no harm and might help clear up any misunderstandings if the system was not showing our daughter's ticket as attached to our own. ^

In summary, the take-away for myself has been pretty much the same as I mentioned earlier with regards to QR:

1. The operating airline is the one who can issue the infant ticket for you.
2. Many agents that you talk to over the phone may not have been trained to know this, so a lot of them will erroneously tell you that CX is the responsible party. If that happens, first try to enlighten them, and if they remain stubborn, hang up and call again, if necessary, at a different outstation.
3. The outstations may have more experience in servicing such requests than head-office. Even there, you may have to try multiple times until you find something who will support you in your quest and either have the tickets issued themselves or escalate the matter internally.
4. Never give up! You are in the right, and it can be done!
Wow, this was not expected. I wasn't able to find AY's HELKUL route (when is it operated?), but for a BRUHELSIN business class ticket, infant ticket is not free.

Maybe AY's interpretation of "10% of the fare" is that when the fare is 0, the infant ticket should be free.

Code:
 1.1ADULT/DAD MR  2.I/1BABY/SON MSTR*I23                        
 1 AY1542J 01NOV 5 BRUHEL SS1  1140  1515  /DCAY /E             
 2 AY 131J 01DEC 7 HELSIN SS1  2355  1715   02DEC 1 /DCAY /E    
PASSENGER DETAIL FIELD EXISTS - USE PD TO DISPLAY               
9MVD.9MVD*A01 1330/23APR19                                      
WPMEUR‡NC«                                                      
PSGR TYPE  ADT - 01                                             
     CXR RES DATE  FARE BASIS      NVB   NVA    BG              
 BRU                                                            
 HEL AY  D   01NOV DBU0XBE               01NOV 03P              
 SIN AY  D   01DEC DBU0XBE               01NOV 03P              
FARE  EUR   1937.00                                             
TAX   EUR     30.40BE EUR      8.88FI EUR    218.08XT           
TOTAL EUR   2194.36                                             
ADT-01  DBU0XBE                                                 
 BRU AY HEL AY SIN2192.49NUC2192.49END ROE0.883467              
XT EUR4.88DQ EUR1.20XU EUR212.00YR                              
ENDOS*SEG1/2*CHNG FOC/REF FOC                                   
ATTN*VALIDATING CARRIER - AY                                    
ATTN*CHANGE BOOKING CLASS -   1D 2D                             

PSGR TYPE  INF - 02                                             
     CXR RES DATE  FARE BASIS      NVB   NVA    BG              
 BRU                                                            
 HEL AY  D   01NOV DBU0XBE/IN            01NOV 01P              
 SIN AY  D   01DEC DBU0XBE/IN            01NOV 01P              
FARE  EUR    194.00                                             
TOTAL EUR    194.00                                             
INF-01  DBU0XBE/IN                                             ‡
MD«                                                             
 BRU AY HEL AY SIN219.24NUC219.24END ROE0.883467               ‡
ATTN*EACH INF REQUIRES ACCOMPANYING ADT PASSENGER               
ATTN*CHANGE BOOKING CLASS -   1D 2D                             
         2131.00                    257.36           2388.36TTL 

FORM OF PAYMENT FEES PER TICKET MAY APPLY                       
ADT      DESCRIPTION                     FEE      TKT TOTAL     
 OBFCA - CC NBR BEGINS WITH 516470      0.00        2194.36     
 OBFCA - CC NBR BEGINS WITH 559867      0.00        2194.36     
 OBFCA - CC NBR BEGINS WITH 900024      0.00        2194.36     
 OBFCA - CC NBR BEGINS WITH 1611        0.00        2194.36     
 OBFCA - CC FEE                         0.00        2194.36     

INF      DESCRIPTION                     FEE      TKT TOTAL     
 OBFCA - CC FEE                         0.00         194.00     

ATTN*AIR EXTRAS AVAILABLE - SEE WP*AE                           
ATTN*BAGGAGE INFO AVAILABLE - SEE WP*BAG                        
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Wow, this was not expected. I wasn't able to find AY's HELKUL route (when is it operated?), but for a BRUHELSIN business class ticket, infant ticket is not free.

Maybe AY's interpretation of "10% of the fare" is that when the fare is 0, the infant ticket should be free.

1.1ADULT/DAD MR 2.I/1BABY/SON MSTR*I23
1 AY1542J 01NOV 5 BRUHEL SS1 1140 1515 /DCAY /E
2 AY 131J 01DEC 7 HELSIN SS1 2355 1715 02DEC 1 /DCAY /E
PASSENGER DETAIL FIELD EXISTS - USE PD TO DISPLAY
9MVD.9MVD*A01 1330/23APR19
WPMEUR‡NC«
PSGR TYPE ADT - 01
CXR RES DATE FARE BASIS NVB NVA BG
BRU
HEL AY D 01NOV DBU0XBE 01NOV 03P
SIN AY D 01DEC DBU0XBE 01NOV 03P
FARE EUR 1937.00
TAX EUR 30.40BE EUR 8.88FI EUR 218.08XT
TOTAL EUR 2194.36
ADT-01 DBU0XBE
BRU AY HEL AY SIN2192.49NUC2192.49END ROE0.883467
XT EUR4.88DQ EUR1.20XU EUR212.00YR
ATTN*CHANGE BOOKING CLASS - 1D 2D

PSGR TYPE INF - 02
CXR RES DATE FARE BASIS NVB NVA BG
BRU
HEL AY D 01NOV DBU0XBE/IN 01NOV 01P
SIN AY D 01DEC DBU0XBE/IN 01NOV 01P
FARE EUR 194.00
TOTAL EUR 194.00
INF-01 DBU0XBE/IN ‡
MD«
BRU AY HEL AY SIN219.24NUC219.24END ROE0.883467 ‡
ATTN*EACH INF REQUIRES ACCOMPANYING ADT PASSENGER
ATTN*CHANGE BOOKING CLASS - 1D 2D
2131.00 257.36 2388.36TTL

FORM OF PAYMENT FEES PER TICKET MAY APPLY
ADT DESCRIPTION FEE TKT TOTAL
OBFCA - CC NBR BEGINS WITH 516470 0.00 2194.36
OBFCA - CC NBR BEGINS WITH 559867 0.00 2194.36
OBFCA - CC NBR BEGINS WITH 900024 0.00 2194.36
OBFCA - CC NBR BEGINS WITH 1611 0.00 2194.36
OBFCA - CC FEE 0.00 2194.36

INF DESCRIPTION FEE TKT TOTAL
OBFCA - CC FEE 0.00 194.00

ATTN*AIR EXTRAS AVAILABLE - SEE WP*AE
ATTN*BAGGAGE INFO AVAILABLE - SEE WP*BAG
Oh, I'm sorry: The long-haul AY flight is actually HEL-SIN, I must have overlooked that when I composed my initial post.

And yes, I was positively surprised by the fact that no payment at all was required for the infant ticket. Another poster in an AY thread had stated the same. It appears that AY's policy is to not charge anything for the infant ticket if it is coupled with an adult award ticket, even if the award ticket was not issued by Finnair itself.
ernestnywang and jagmeets like this.

Last edited by NetJets Germany; Apr 24, 2019 at 12:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.