Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ernestnywang
oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards Wiki v0.1

Rules
1. You need two non CX/KA carriers
2. You are allowed 5 stopovers, 2 transits (<=24hrs) and 2 open jaws. You can use your stopover allowance as a transit, possibly by asking for it to be ticketed as such (extra taxes?). [Using stopover for transit is no longer possible since 2021/22?]
3. The open-jaw points do not count towards your stopover allowance. Neither does the final city on the itinerary
4. You must start and end in the same country.
5. To determine the miles required, add up all flight sectors on your itinerary and look up the award chart (ignore the distance between open-jaw points). gcmap.com is handy, though best to go via asiamiles' calculator.
6. Co-terminals (NRT/HND, LHR/LCY) do not count as an open-jaw (takes up 1 stopover/transit allowance).

If an itinerary clears the above, it is valid, though you may have to argue a lot back and forth. Keep your patience suit on and and keep referring to the terms & conditions ("What in the T&Cs makes this invalid" tends to work).

For the examples below, x=transit, o=stopover, and capitalized alphabets represent airports.

Some valid routings that have commonly been pushed back on
1. "You cannot go through the start, destination, or enroute point more than once". A-oB-oA-oC-oD-A is a valid itinerary.
2. "An open-jaw point is a stopover". A-oB-oC-D//E-oF-G//H-oI-oJ-A is valid, as is A-oB-xC-D//E-oF-G//H-xI-oJ-oK-oL-A.

Other tips
1. Tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of issuance. Potentially a pain when planning that dream RTW trip involving LATAM/AA which release seats 330 days out, that you're trying to tee-in with CX award seats released a year out.
2. A combination of BA/AA/LATAM/QF sites works well to research availability (look for saver availability)
3. You can go crazy on the routings- A-oB-A//C-oD-C//E-A is fine if A,B,E are in country/Region # 1, and, C,D are at the other end of the world.

Print Wikipost

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Can you no show on this award? Given the first sector already flown?

Thing being I am worried CX will confirm my waitlisted preferred new date only after my original flight date. Twist being there are still partner segments involved in the rest of the award.
Yes you can pull a no-show. However, the itinerary must be rebooked with the same rebooking fees and you will still need to fly the rest of the itinerary in the same sequence.
G-CIVC likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
AY?

Duplicate

Last edited by NetJets Germany; Mar 5, 2019 at 11:24 am Reason: Duplicate
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:24 am

AY?

Hi,

Has anybody recently been successful in booking a leg on AY as part of an MCA? I am trying to get a leg HEL-SIN squeezed in, but cannot see availability on any date (In J); it always says "Fully booked". Looking at flights in late Jan 2020. Any tips / insight, please?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: SQ, SK, QR
On top of above for AY, would be great to hear if anyone has any insight on booking long haul LATAM J awards. I'm specifically looking for Europe > Brazil, seems to be next to no availability.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:52 pm

Question guys.

MCA is a business award. First sector already flown and x sector was booked in economy but now business is available. Is it possible to change or no changes at all once flown the first sector?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:53 pm

I've been looking at this award chart a lot lately and was hoping someone could confirm the following is a valid award - I believe it is, but my eyes have deceived me before:

LAS-oORD-oAMM-xDOH-NBO//JRO-oDOH-MLE//SIN-oHKG-xLAX-oLAS-SFO

Travel would be on AA, RJ, RJ, QR // QR, QR // CX, CX, AA, AA (prospectively). This clocks in right below 25,000 miles according to GCMap.com.

Also, there isn't a ton of discussion in this thread regarding taxes, fees, and surcharges on the awards. I tried searching the thread using the forum tools, but perhaps I'm just missing it. Can anyone chime in with what they've been seeing? I'm mostly looking for what range I should be expecting. I appreciate any help on this point.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by nickohrn
I've been looking at this award chart a lot lately and was hoping someone could confirm the following is a valid award - I believe it is, but my eyes have deceived me before:

LAS-oORD-oAMM-xDOH-NBO//JRO-oDOH-MLE//SIN-oHKG-xLAX-oLAS-SFO

Travel would be on AA, RJ, RJ, QR // QR, QR // CX, CX, AA, AA (prospectively). This clocks in right below 25,000 miles according to GCMap.com.

Also, there isn't a ton of discussion in this thread regarding taxes, fees, and surcharges on the awards. I tried searching the thread using the forum tools, but perhaps I'm just missing it. Can anyone chime in with what they've been seeing? I'm mostly looking for what range I should be expecting. I appreciate any help on this point.
Haven’t booked one of these in a while, but looks ok to me..personally, I’d be fine sacrificing the first and especially the last 2 sectors in case that helps things with availability, or, getting things done, rather than open an argument with the agent, or if I can add a ‘valuable’ sidetrip someplace.

YQ- I’ve almost always had CX come back with a figure very close to what the same itinerary would show on ITA matrix- always, except that one time I tried to have QR sectors in and things went for a complete toss.

oh, and use Asiamiles’ website to calculate distances- small differences do exist viz GCMap.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by jagmeets

Haven’t booked one of these in a while, but looks ok to me..personally, I’d be fine sacrificing the first and especially the last 2 sectors in case that helps things with availability, or, getting things done, rather than open an argument with the agent, or if I can add a ‘valuable’ sidetrip someplace.

YQ- I’ve almost always had CX come back with a figure very close to what the same itinerary would show on ITA matrix- always, except that one time I tried to have QR sectors in and things went for a complete toss.

oh, and use Asiamiles’ website to calculate distances- small differences do exist viz GCMap.
Thank you - very much appreciated. Yeah, I don't really care about those sectors but figured if I could find them and slot them in, i would. It's cheap and easy to buy LAS-XXX one-ways.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 8:30 pm

Successfully booked the following all the way on business.

HKG-DOH on QR : TRANSIT 1
DOH-LGW on QR: OPENJAW 1
HKG-JFK on CX: STOPOVER 1
JFK-SCL on LA: STOPOVER 2
SCL-JFK on LA: TRANSIT 2
JFK-HKG on CX: END

Total of 34,902 miles. Cost 210,000 Asia Miles.

Got a Europe return that i will try adding if available and move it total flown of around 48,000 miles and pay 240,000.
nickohrn likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by rocket69
Successfully booked the following all the way on business.

HKG-DOH on QR : TRANSIT 1
DOH-LGW on QR: OPENJAW 1
HKG-JFK on CX: STOPOVER 1
JFK-SCL on LA: STOPOVER 2
SCL-JFK on LA: TRANSIT 2
JFK-HKG on CX: END

Total of 34,902 miles. Cost 210,000 Asia Miles.

Got a Europe return that i will try adding if available and move it total flown of around 48,000 miles and pay 240,000.
How much were the taxes?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck
how much were the taxes?
hkd 2,739.00
Old Mar 25, 2019, 5:56 am

Is this allowed?>

So I was only recently introduced into this wonderful phenomenon and I'm trying to work out using my first multi carrier redemption :mad :

I'm taking a trip to the UK in June but also need to go to Spain (AGP) for a wedding, so i was thinking of adding this on.

Is it possible for me to go:
HKG>MAN (CX) stay 10days or so.
LHR>AGP (BA) stay 4-5 days
AGP>ZRH (Swiss/Iberia), ZRH>HKG (Swiss/CX)?

Am i allowed the UK open jaw of Manchester and Heathrow? Also when i try to put it into the asiamiles calculator, it doesn't give me an airline option for AGP to ZRH but there are multiple direct flights with Swiss...

If anyone has too much time on their hands, I also need to get to Prague in August, but I haven't found a way to fit this into one journey with all of the T&Cs.

Help for a newbie appreciated!

Last edited by tominhongkong; Mar 25, 2019 at 6:01 am Reason: Added informationb
Old Mar 25, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Only oneworld carriers are allowed for the multi-carrier awards.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by jagmeets
Only oneworld carriers are allowed for the multi-carrier awards.
I see - thank you.

Do you know what is the reason for the "Airline Partners Award Chart" on the Asiamiles site? Is it ever possible to redeem on flights with "Airlines partners" on this list but not Oneworld members?

And in this instance, could I change my itinerary to:
HKG>MAN (CX) stay 10days or so.
LHR/LGW>AGP (BA/Iberia) stay 4-5 days
AGP>HEL (Finnair), HEL>HKG (Finnair)?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
Downgrading is allowed (e.g. a business class ticket but for one sector the aircraft only has economy class or if business class is full - then you can fly in economy for that sector.)
Is this still the case? Thinking of booking a MCA which would include a domestic sector on AA (To get me to 3 carriers incl. CX). Trouble is business class is currently full on the flight that I am looking at, but economy would be available. So could I add that sector in economy into an overall MCA business class award?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.