Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ernestnywang
oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards Wiki v0.1

Rules
1. You need two non CX/KA carriers
2. You are allowed 5 stopovers, 2 transits (<=24hrs) and 2 open jaws. You can use your stopover allowance as a transit, possibly by asking for it to be ticketed as such (extra taxes?). [Using stopover for transit is no longer possible since 2021/22?]
3. The open-jaw points do not count towards your stopover allowance. Neither does the final city on the itinerary
4. You must start and end in the same country.
5. To determine the miles required, add up all flight sectors on your itinerary and look up the award chart (ignore the distance between open-jaw points). gcmap.com is handy, though best to go via asiamiles' calculator.
6. Co-terminals (NRT/HND, LHR/LCY) do not count as an open-jaw (takes up 1 stopover/transit allowance).

If an itinerary clears the above, it is valid, though you may have to argue a lot back and forth. Keep your patience suit on and and keep referring to the terms & conditions ("What in the T&Cs makes this invalid" tends to work).

For the examples below, x=transit, o=stopover, and capitalized alphabets represent airports.

Some valid routings that have commonly been pushed back on
1. "You cannot go through the start, destination, or enroute point more than once". A-oB-oA-oC-oD-A is a valid itinerary.
2. "An open-jaw point is a stopover". A-oB-oC-D//E-oF-G//H-oI-oJ-A is valid, as is A-oB-xC-D//E-oF-G//H-xI-oJ-oK-oL-A.

Other tips
1. Tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of issuance. Potentially a pain when planning that dream RTW trip involving LATAM/AA which release seats 330 days out, that you're trying to tee-in with CX award seats released a year out.
2. A combination of BA/AA/LATAM/QF sites works well to research availability (look for saver availability)
3. You can go crazy on the routings- A-oB-A//C-oD-C//E-A is fine if A,B,E are in country/Region # 1, and, C,D are at the other end of the world.

Print Wikipost

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2018, 12:36 pm

this route is valid?

LAX->HKG(CX)->PEK(CX/CA)[Stopover]->GVA(CA)? Thanks
Old May 15, 2018, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Last time I looked, CA wasn't a member of oneworld, so it seems unlikely that it would be acceptable on a oneworld multicarrier award.
Isochronous likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 1:05 pm

Thanks for the info
Old May 15, 2018, 4:29 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by liw5215
LAX->HKG(CX)->PEK(CX/CA)[Stopover]->GVA(CA)? Thanks
Originally Posted by christep
Last time I looked, CA wasn't a member of oneworld, so it seems unlikely that it would be acceptable on a oneworld multicarrier award.
I think the correct explanation should be:
1. CA is one of few the Asia Miles partners that do not allow "
Mixed-carrier Awards." This is unrelated to oneworld membership. See https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/flight-award-chart.html#Airlinepartnersawardschart
2. Even if CA were a member of oneworld, a "oneworld Multi-carrier Awards" requires 2 oneworld airlines other than CX / KA, so this itinerary wouldn't qualify anyway.
Old May 15, 2018, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang

I think the correct explanation should be:
1. CA is one of few the Asia Miles partners that do not allow "
Mixed-carrier Awards." This is unrelated to oneworld membership. See https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-awards/flight-awards/flight-award-chart.html#Airlinepartnersawardschart
2. Even if CA were a member of oneworld, a "oneworld Multi-carrier Awards" requires 2 oneworld airlines other than CX / KA, so this itinerary wouldn't qualify anyway.
Thanks for the explanation. thinking of doing this itinerary(CX+one Partner): MCI->LAX(AA)->HKG(CX)[STOPOVER]->ZRH(CX) for 110K miles on J. then use BA for HKG<->PEK flights
Old May 16, 2018, 3:57 am

Thanks for the explanation. thinking of doing this itinerary(CX+one Partner): MCI->LAX(AA)->HKG(CX)[STOPOVER]->ZRH(CX) for 110K miles on J. then use BA for HKG<->PEK flights
You may want to check with others or with AM directly, but I believe for a one-way award, you can only have one stopover (which can be used as a transit, so one stopover OR one transit), but not one stopover AND one transit. See https://www.asiamiles.com/en/terms-a...uirements.html
Old May 16, 2018, 7:56 am

You may want to check with others or with AM directly, but I believe for a one-way award, you can only have one stopover (which can be used as a transit, so one stopover OR one transit), but not one stopover AND one transit. See https://www.asiamiles.com/en/terms-a...uirements.html
Thank you for the info. I am afraid that my redemption will be reduced to LAX->HKG[STOPOVER]->ZRH, All on Cathay J for 110k miles. it is still not a bad redemption ?
Old May 16, 2018, 9:00 am

Correct, only two segments allowed on a one-way CX (i.e. non-Multi Carrier) award.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:10 am

Thank you for the info. I am afraid that my redemption will be reduced to LAX->HKG[STOPOVER]->ZRH, All on Cathay J for 110k miles. it is still not a bad redemption ?
Do you plan to stop in both PEK and HKG? If you don't actually need to go to HKG, you can use CA for LAX-PEK-ZRH. Otherwise, what you have seems fine.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:35 am

Do you plan to stop in both PEK and HKG? If you don't actually need to go to HKG, you can use CA for LAX-PEK-ZRH. Otherwise, what you have seems fine.
Thank you for the idea on Air China route, but I have to stop by at PEK.
Old May 16, 2018, 1:46 pm

Thank you for the idea on Air China route, but I have to stop by at PEK.
Yes, you can stop at PEK, just not at both PEK and HKG in one one-way award.
Old May 16, 2018, 3:07 pm

Yes, you can stop at PEK, just not at both PEK and HKG in one one-way award.
I thought CA does not allow stop over. and the real problem is that CA usually does not release J seats on transpacific flights, but a lot of J seats to anywhere else on the world it flies. I probably stick with CX, which have a lot Js available from N. America, and use BA avois to patch HKG<->PEK flight.
Old May 17, 2018, 12:35 am

I thought CA does not allow stop over. and the real problem is that CA usually does not release J seats on transpacific flights, but a lot of J seats to anywhere else on the world it flies. I probably stick with CX, which have a lot Js available from N. America, and use BA avois to patch HKG<->PEK flight.
Sorry, you are right, CA has this exception.
Old May 17, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Silver, MU Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by davidtai
My recent OW redemption is as follow

HKG-MAD[TRANSFER]
MAD-LIS[OPEN JAW]
OPO-MAD[TRANSFER]
MAD-HKG[STOPOVER]
HKG-YVR[STOPOVER]
YVR-HKG[STOPOVER]
HKG-BNE[STOPOVER]
BNE-SYD[OPEN JAW]
PER-HKG

34,962 mi of total flying distance requires 190,000 Asia Miles for business class

One of the tricky problems was that when I was on the phone talking to an agent their system did not allow me to book the flight MAD-HKG on CX with the connection time >2hrs while the flight was available when I search it separately. I double checked the MCT in MAD was 90min if I remember correctly. The agent said "Wait a moment" and then the problem solved.

Another problem I have encountered was that the flight OPO-MAD is operated by Air Nostrum, marketed by Iberia. The agent said it's a codeshare flight so she could not book that. I told her Air Nostrum is an affiliate airline of IB and it's also under the oneworld alliance. She said "wait a moment please" and then another problem solved.
What about the following? Are they valid?
(A)
HKG-PER Transit
PER-SYD Stop
SYD-HKG Stop
HKG-LHR Openjaw
BRU-HKG Stop
HKG-SYD Stop
SYD-HKG Stop
HKG-KIX Openjaw
NRT-HKG

(B)
HKG-KIX Openjaw
BRU-HKG Openjaw
HND-HKG Stop
HKG-CAN Transit
CAN-DOH Stop
DOH-GYD Stop
GYD-TBS Stop
TBS-DOH Transit
DOH-BKK Stop
BKK-HKG

Last edited by ny911; May 17, 2018 at 10:59 am
Old May 18, 2018, 3:02 am

Programs: Marco Polo, BA Executive club, SPG, Hyatt,
Hi I am new to this. Just want to ask a question:

If a flight has code sharing (AA for CX to US for example), would it be counted as AA flight and so it is part of one world and non-CX?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.