Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ernestnywang
oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards Wiki v0.1

Rules
1. You need two non CX/KA carriers
2. You are allowed 5 stopovers, 2 transits (<=24hrs) and 2 open jaws. You can use your stopover allowance as a transit, possibly by asking for it to be ticketed as such (extra taxes?). [Using stopover for transit is no longer possible since 2021/22?]
3. The open-jaw points do not count towards your stopover allowance. Neither does the final city on the itinerary
4. You must start and end in the same country.
5. To determine the miles required, add up all flight sectors on your itinerary and look up the award chart (ignore the distance between open-jaw points). gcmap.com is handy, though best to go via asiamiles' calculator.
6. Co-terminals (NRT/HND, LHR/LCY) do not count as an open-jaw (takes up 1 stopover/transit allowance).

If an itinerary clears the above, it is valid, though you may have to argue a lot back and forth. Keep your patience suit on and and keep referring to the terms & conditions ("What in the T&Cs makes this invalid" tends to work).

For the examples below, x=transit, o=stopover, and capitalized alphabets represent airports.

Some valid routings that have commonly been pushed back on
1. "You cannot go through the start, destination, or enroute point more than once". A-oB-oA-oC-oD-A is a valid itinerary.
2. "An open-jaw point is a stopover". A-oB-oC-D//E-oF-G//H-oI-oJ-A is valid, as is A-oB-xC-D//E-oF-G//H-xI-oJ-oK-oL-A.

Other tips
1. Tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of issuance. Potentially a pain when planning that dream RTW trip involving LATAM/AA which release seats 330 days out, that you're trying to tee-in with CX award seats released a year out.
2. A combination of BA/AA/LATAM/QF sites works well to research availability (look for saver availability)
3. You can go crazy on the routings- A-oB-A//C-oD-C//E-A is fine if A,B,E are in country/Region # 1, and, C,D are at the other end of the world.

Print Wikipost

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: MPC Diamond
Just booked my first one of these, so wanted to share!

HKG-SFO//LAX-oDFW-oLGA-xBOS-xDOH-oDPS-oKUL-HKG

CX/KA: HKG-SFO, KUL-HKG
AA: LAX-DFW, DFW-LGA-BOS
QR: BOS-DOH-DPS
MH: DPS-KUL

All booked in J. Doing the trip over the span of a month, managed to get some extended time off. Didn't completely max out, but still very excited (in particular to check out QR J, though unfortunately doesn't look like any of those flights will be Q-Suites). 160k AM and ~HK$1,350 in taxes.

Thanks for all of the inspiration and helpful info from everyone posting here, otherwise would never have known about this!
Old Apr 10, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador, Accor Plat, SPG/Carlson Gold
Want to share 2 tickets I just booked.

HKG-NKG
PVG-NRT-DLC
PVG-HKG-BKK-HKG-KIX-HKG

HKG-NKG
PVG-NRT-HKG-BKK-HKG-KIX-HKG
Old Apr 11, 2018, 1:25 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by calf613

All booked in J. Doing the trip over the span of a month, managed to get some extended time off. Didn't completely max out, but still very excited (in particular to check out QR J, though unfortunately doesn't look like any of those flights will be Q-Suites). 160k AM and ~HK$1,350 in taxes.

Thanks for all of the inspiration and helpful info from everyone posting here, otherwise would never have known about this!
Sounds amazing considering AA and QR are extremely stingy on opening award seats. The YQ sounds low (knowing QR, again). Congratulations...may I know if these flights are all very close to departure?
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:16 am

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by calf613

May I ask how many months in advance did you book your ticket? And at the time of booking was there availability for all your segments?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:06 am

First time here, newbie with AM

booked two trip:
  1. Y:HKG-oCan-HKG//BOS-xDCA-LGA//CAN-xHKG-oTpe-oHKG-oBKK-HKG 35K+1372HKD CX/KA/AA/RJ
  2. C: HKG-oJFK-oLIM-oSCL-xJFK-xHKG-CAN//HKG-oDXB-oHKG-CAN//BKK-HKG. 160K AM➕2744HKD CX/KA/LA/RJ
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
hi I'm pretty new to this but am looking at doing the following:-

SYD-oSIN-xDOH-SEZ-oDOH-oSIN-SYD on QF/QR for (according to my calculations) 140,000 pp in J

Now I would need to transfer the miles into AM from AmEx - so can I put the award on hold then transfer the points - I'm worried that if I transfer the points first and then have difficulty securing the award I would be stuck with the miles in AM. For my dates I have checked that seats are currently available and as far as I can determine the above itinerary complies with the multi-carrier award rules.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:39 pm

Programs: Tesco Clubcard, Heathrow Rewards, M&S Sparks, Caffè Nero, HSBC rewards... BAEC defector
Originally Posted by pschafer

SYD-oSIN-xDOH-SEZ-oDOH-oSIN-SYD on QF/QR for (according to my calculations) 140,000 pp in J

Now I would need to transfer the miles into AM from AmEx - so can I put the award on hold then transfer the points - I'm worried that if I transfer the points first and then have difficulty securing the award I would be stuck with the miles in AM. For my dates I have checked that seats are currently available and as far as I can determine the above itinerary complies with the multi-carrier award rules.
You can try calling up Asia Miles to "book" the ticket, and then tell them to hold the ticket while you process the transfer. Recently did that and they were fine with it. I called up a few hours afterwards to check, and the ticket was still on hold. I've since moved on to the actual ticketing... which leads onto the question below:

After confirming the ticket (they've emailed me an itinerary and I now have a PNR), how long does it take to actually ticket the award? I've tried Google, and a thread from 2012 (I've lost the thread now) seemed to suggest they could take a few weeks to ticket?!
Old Apr 13, 2018, 3:45 am

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by 07L 25R
You can try calling up Asia Miles to "book" the ticket, and then tell them to hold the ticket while you process the transfer. Recently did that and they were fine with it. I called up a few hours afterwards to check, and the ticket was still on hold. I've since moved on to the actual ticketing... which leads onto the question below:

After confirming the ticket (they've emailed me an itinerary and I now have a PNR), how long does it take to actually ticket the award? I've tried Google, and a thread from 2012 (I've lost the thread now) seemed to suggest they could take a few weeks to ticket?!
IME, it usually takes 1 to 3 days to check for the relevant taxes. They will definitely not a few weeks.... YMMV.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Sounds amazing considering AA and QR are extremely stingy on opening award seats. The YQ sounds low (knowing QR, again). Congratulations...may I know if these flights are all very close to departure?
Yes, I think all relatively close in, trip starting next week so the last leg is in May. Advantage I had was being able to be very flexible with my schedule, so most of my flights are on Mon/Tue/Wed!
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k
May I ask how many months in advance did you book your ticket? And at the time of booking was there availability for all your segments?
I was tracking it starting earlier this year knowing that I might have this opportunity. Some of the segments I had planned originally I ended up having to move since they got booked out before I pulled the trigger earlier this week. Yes, I was able to get confirmed for all of the segments.

BOS seemed to be a better outport for getting QR redemptions (though strangely, not so for CX ones). I would have skipped BOS and done JFK-DOH-DPS, but that wasn't available.
lifeonthego_k likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by pschafer

Similar to what 07L 25R said, I asked about putting my itinerary on hold initially through the phone when making the booking. Maybe it was because the flights were closer in, but they said they would only be able to place it on hold for 24 hours, and during that time it was possible that the other non-CX/KA airlines might cancel the tickets without notification. It sounded like a bit of a scare tactic, but I decided to just go ahead and book since I had the AM and was willing to pay the change fee if I needed to change my itinerary later. Agree that best option seems to be to ask if longer hold is possible to allow for AM to deposit.

My ticketing was done within 24 hours after making the booking I believe.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I'm looking for some advice from folks here, given the news of an impending devaluation of the AM award charts (rumoured). I will like to book a multi-carrier award ticket for my honeymoon but the dates for which I want to fly haven't opened up yet (given the 360/330 day rule of when airlines release award space). Hence, as I see it there are two options:

1) Wait for a couple of months and try and book when award space opens up 360/330 days prior to departure + pray that the devaluation doesn't happen in the next two months. With this option I'm basically playing a waiting game of when the announcement will be made and how long after that it comes into effect.

2) Book the itinerary I want now, but for dummy dates, that I later change when my actual dates open up, against a change fee. Here I'm assuming that when the devaluation comes, I will still be allowed to make date changes to my booking, without the new mileage requirements kicking in.

Any thoughts on which option I should go for? Is my assumption for option 2 valid?

Thanks!
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
2) Book the itinerary I want now, but for dummy dates, that I later change when my actual dates open up, against a change fee. Here I'm assuming that when the devaluation comes, I will still be allowed to make date changes to my booking, without the new mileage requirements kicking in.

Any thoughts on which option I should go for? Is my assumption for option 2 valid?
Obviously we will have to wait for the official announcement (or maybe there will not be one...), but the general rule is that if you make a change after you have used the first segment on your ticket, you will still follow the old chart / rule for subsequent changes. If you want to do this before you use your first segment, even if just date change and even if this does not involve the first segment, there's a risk that you will be subject to the new chart / rule.
Old Apr 17, 2018, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
there's a risk that you will be subject to the new chart / rule.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Here, I'm going by SQ's example. When they devalued their chart last year, a date change did not trigger a ticket re-issue, hence, date changes could be made with the old award chart. Only if one changed the route, carrier or cabin class did it trigger a ticket re-issue which was then subject to the new award chart.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: Tesco Clubcard, Heathrow Rewards, M&S Sparks, Caffè Nero, HSBC rewards... BAEC defector
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Here, I'm going by SQ's example. When they devalued their chart last year, a date change did not trigger a ticket re-issue, hence, date changes could be made with the old award chart. Only if one changed the route, carrier or cabin class did it trigger a ticket re-issue which was then subject to the new award chart.

As unlikely as it may be, depending on the award ticket routing you're trying to make, sometimes it may work in your favour to wait for the new award chart should it come out. There would probably be new 'sweet spots' that didn't exist, while existing ones will no longer be as great, not that I would know, but that's how award charts generally work, right? With your travels that far ahead, there would probably be room for fine tuning to make the best out of any new award chart. You'd probably also need to factor in the costs associated with changing your tickets, and that there may not be availability anyway on the dates you want to travel, in which case you'd be stuck with a semi-useless ticket, or worse, be forced to change your itinerary purely to match available flights.
lifeonthego_k likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.