Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ernestnywang
oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards Wiki v0.1

Rules
1. You need two non CX/KA carriers
2. You are allowed 5 stopovers, 2 transits (<=24hrs) and 2 open jaws. You can use your stopover allowance as a transit, possibly by asking for it to be ticketed as such (extra taxes?). [Using stopover for transit is no longer possible since 2021/22?]
3. The open-jaw points do not count towards your stopover allowance. Neither does the final city on the itinerary
4. You must start and end in the same country.
5. To determine the miles required, add up all flight sectors on your itinerary and look up the award chart (ignore the distance between open-jaw points). gcmap.com is handy, though best to go via asiamiles' calculator.
6. Co-terminals (NRT/HND, LHR/LCY) do not count as an open-jaw (takes up 1 stopover/transit allowance).

If an itinerary clears the above, it is valid, though you may have to argue a lot back and forth. Keep your patience suit on and and keep referring to the terms & conditions ("What in the T&Cs makes this invalid" tends to work).

For the examples below, x=transit, o=stopover, and capitalized alphabets represent airports.

Some valid routings that have commonly been pushed back on
1. "You cannot go through the start, destination, or enroute point more than once". A-oB-oA-oC-oD-A is a valid itinerary.
2. "An open-jaw point is a stopover". A-oB-oC-D//E-oF-G//H-oI-oJ-A is valid, as is A-oB-xC-D//E-oF-G//H-xI-oJ-oK-oL-A.

Other tips
1. Tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of issuance. Potentially a pain when planning that dream RTW trip involving LATAM/AA which release seats 330 days out, that you're trying to tee-in with CX award seats released a year out.
2. A combination of BA/AA/LATAM/QF sites works well to research availability (look for saver availability)
3. You can go crazy on the routings- A-oB-A//C-oD-C//E-A is fine if A,B,E are in country/Region # 1, and, C,D are at the other end of the world.

Print Wikipost

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:05 am

JFK-xHKG-HKT//HKG-oCNS-oSYD-AKL//MEL-oSCL-oJFK-oLIM-JFK
- 1 Transfer
- 5 Stopovers
- 2 Open Jaws

I am trying to book this itinerary, but the agents on the phone + by email keep telling me there are too many stopovers and it is not a valid booking for the multi carrier award.

Am I doing something wrong? Does the destination count as a stopover? Any advice on how to get this booked besides keep calling?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:09 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Looks right
Is the HKG really a stopover?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pilot8917
JFK-xHKG-HKT//HKG-oCNS-oSYD-AKL//MEL-oSCL-oJFK-oLIM-JFK
- 1 Transfer
- 5 Stopovers
- 2 Open Jaws

I am trying to book this itinerary, but the agents on the phone + by email keep telling me there are too many stopovers and it is not a valid booking for the multi carrier award.

Am I doing something wrong? Does the destination count as a stopover? Any advice on how to get this booked besides keep calling?
Looks valid to me.
So HKG is a transfer, and CNS, SYD, SCL, JFK and LIM are stopovers.
HKT/HKG and AKL/MEL are open jaws.

Remember anything over 24 hours is a stopover. Is HKG a stopover or a transfer (under 24 hours)?

When I had these problems in the past, I go over each flight with them, agreeing on which one is a stopover, which one is a transfer etc. Call them again and do it with them. Tell them explicitly which one is a transfer and which one is a stopover, and which one is an open jaw.

Good luck!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
Looks valid to me.

Remember anything over 24 hours is a stopover. Is HKG a stopover or a transfer (under 24 hours)?
It is under 24 hours. Thanks so much. I will give them a call and report back!
Old Nov 1, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I just tried to book the following using the online request form and I also got the response that my award exceeds the transfer limit. They state I have 2 transfers in HKG and 2 in JNB. So it sounds like I need to specifically state that I would like to use my stopovers as transfers? The connections in HKG and JNB are less than 24 hours.

JFK-SFO(stopover)-HKG-JNB-CPT(destination)
(open jaw) DUR-JNB-HKG-SFO

Is it better to just call and get this sorted out versus email? I tried to avoid the call centers because of the complaints about how long it takes.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 12:24 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by AICML
I just tried to book the following using the online request form and I also got the response that my award exceeds the transfer limit. They state I have 2 transfers in HKG and 2 in JNB. So it sounds like I need to specifically state that I would like to use my stopovers as transfers? The connections in HKG and JNB are less than 24 hours.

JFK-SFO(stopover)-HKG-JNB-CPT(destination)
(open jaw) DUR-JNB-HKG-SFO

Is it better to just call and get this sorted out versus email? I tried to avoid the call centers because of the complaints about how long it takes.
Call will be more effecient imho. Tell them to ticket 2 of them transits as stopovers.

I think that you could always just do a JFK-oSFO-xHKG-oJNB-xHKG-SFO for 175K Asiamiles in business instead of the 190K for the multi-carrier award. The domestic BA segments are cheap enough, and adding BA to the award will make the fuel surcharges quite high in any case.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jagmeets
Call will be more effecient imho. Tell them to ticket 2 of them transits as stopovers.

I think that you could always just do a JFK-oSFO-xHKG-oJNB-xHKG-SFO for 175K Asiamiles in business instead of the 190K for the multi-carrier award. The domestic BA segments are cheap enough, and adding BA to the award will make the fuel surcharges quite high in any case.
Thanks for the advice. So I decided to just book the 175K ticket because I am still uncertain of my itinerary in South Africa and so I think the flexibility is better to just book the intra-flights later.

However, I go to book the award with and agent who checks the availability and eligibility and everything clears. However, when they go to book the actual award the agent says I am waitlisted on the SFO to HKG leg and can't ticket. The Cathay site and British Airways site both show availability. I can book on BA for up to 5 tickets. Anyone know what's going on or what I should do? I told her I see availability and she tried to book it and sent the itinerary where it shows waitlisted.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by AICML
Thanks for the advice. So I decided to just book the 175K ticket because I am still uncertain of my itinerary in South Africa and so I think the flexibility is better to just book the intra-flights later.

However, I go to book the award with and agent who checks the availability and eligibility and everything clears. However, when they go to book the actual award the agent says I am waitlisted on the SFO to HKG leg and can't ticket. The Cathay site and British Airways site both show availability. I can book on BA for up to 5 tickets. Anyone know what's going on or what I should do? I told her I see availability and she tried to book it and sent the itinerary where it shows waitlisted.
Hang up and call again?

If you are urgently needs to ticket the flights, then find an available flight a day before or after the original date.

Also, once all the flights are confirmed and booked, CX usually takes 1 to 2 days to ticket and verify the taxes and charges. In the mean time, you can still make modification free of charge.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by pilot8917
It is under 24 hours. Thanks so much. I will give them a call and report back!

I wrote a secure message, and asked specifically what they stopovers were, and they let me add it! Thanks!
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:32 am

My recent OW redemption is as follow

HKG-MAD[TRANSFER]
MAD-LIS[OPEN JAW]
OPO-MAD[TRANSFER]
MAD-HKG[STOPOVER]
HKG-YVR[STOPOVER]
YVR-HKG[STOPOVER]
HKG-BNE[STOPOVER]
BNE-SYD[OPEN JAW]
PER-HKG

34,962 mi of total flying distance requires 190,000 Asia Miles for business class

One of the tricky problems was that when I was on the phone talking to an agent their system did not allow me to book the flight MAD-HKG on CX with the connection time >2hrs while the flight was available when I search it separately. I double checked the MCT in MAD was 90min if I remember correctly. The agent said "Wait a moment" and then the problem solved.

Another problem I have encountered was that the flight OPO-MAD is operated by Air Nostrum, marketed by Iberia. The agent said it's a codeshare flight so she could not book that. I told her Air Nostrum is an affiliate airline of IB and it's also under the oneworld alliance. She said "wait a moment please" and then another problem solved.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:06 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by davidtai
I double checked the MCT in MAD was 90min if I remember correctly. The agent said "Wait a moment" and then the problem solved.
The agent must've thought it was 130 (1.30) minutes required.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 8:15 am

OK before I ask my question, let me contribute a successful routing:

HKG-LHR-FRA, CDG-DOH-BKK, BKK-HKG (CX+BA, QR, CX - F @155k AM)

Now, I am working on:

FRA-HKG, HKG-HND, AKL-SCL, SCL-MDZ, HAV-MAD-DUS

It's a legal routing in my mind (3 carriers [CX, LA and IB], 2 stopovers, 2 open-jaws, 1 transfer) and should price as 140k AM in J.

My question is about YQ on IB. Does anyone have experience on whether AM will pass on IB fuel surcharges? They are massive if searching through BA Avios, less - but not 0 - when searching with IB Avios but I can't make out what they will be with AM.

You can't search one-ways on IB through AM anyways, and round-trips HAV-DUS or the other way error out. HAV-MAD round-trips look like no fuel surcharge is passed on at all, and same is true for MAD-DUS round-trips. I'd be surprised if AM pass on less YQ on IB redemptions than booking through either Avios currency but I'd gladly accept it.

Any insights on whether I should expect to be charged YQ on the IB legs and how much would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by svellmann
My question is about YQ on IB. Does anyone have experience on whether AM will pass on IB fuel surcharges? They are massive if searching through BA Avios, less - but not 0 - when searching with IB Avios but I can't make out what they will be with AM.

You can't search one-ways on IB through AM anyways, and round-trips HAV-DUS or the other way error out. HAV-MAD round-trips look like no fuel surcharge is passed on at all, and same is true for MAD-DUS round-trips. I'd be surprised if AM pass on less YQ on IB redemptions than booking through either Avios currency but I'd gladly accept it.

Any insights on whether I should expect to be charged YQ on the IB legs and how much would be greatly appreciated.
Looks like CX does not charge fuel surcharge on IB segments

Code:
*I«                                                             
 1 IB6888Y 02DEC 6 PVGMAD SS1  1035  1750  /DCIB /E             
WPACX‡QYDNNOC«                                                  
PSGR TYPE  ADT - 01                                             
     CXR RES DATE  FARE BASIS      NVB   NVA    BG              
 SHA                                                            
 MAD IB  Y   02DEC YDNNOC                02DEC 02P              
FARE  CNY     16940 EQUIV TWD     77066                         
TAX   TWD       410CN                                           
TOTAL TWD     77476                                             
ADT-01  YDNNOC                                                  
 SHA IB MAD2603.07NUC2603.07END ROE6.5077                       
ENDOS*SEG1*CHGS AND REF PERMITTED                               
RATE USED 1CNY-4.54934189TWD                                    
ATTN*CX-NO VALID TICKETING AGREEMENT-CHANGE VALIDATING CARRIER  
ATTN*VALIDATING CARRIER SPECIFIED - CX                          

PRICED USING RULE OVERRIDE-FOLLOWING FARE RULES NOT MET         
 ATTN* SALES RESTRICTIONS                                       
FARE NOT GUARANTEED IF TICKETED                                 
ATTN*BAGGAGE INFO AVAILABLE - SEE WP*BAG
Old Nov 6, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by ernestnywang
Looks like CX does not charge fuel surcharge on IB segments

Code:
*I«                                                             
 1 IB6888Y 02DEC 6 PVGMAD SS1  1035  1750  /DCIB /E             
WPACX‡QYDNNOC«                                                  
PSGR TYPE  ADT - 01                                             
     CXR RES DATE  FARE BASIS      NVB   NVA    BG              
 SHA                                                            
 MAD IB  Y   02DEC YDNNOC                02DEC 02P              
FARE  CNY     16940 EQUIV TWD     77066                         
TAX   TWD       410CN                                           
TOTAL TWD     77476                                             
ADT-01  YDNNOC                                                  
 SHA IB MAD2603.07NUC2603.07END ROE6.5077                       
ENDOS*SEG1*CHGS AND REF PERMITTED                               
RATE USED 1CNY-4.54934189TWD                                    
ATTN*CX-NO VALID TICKETING AGREEMENT-CHANGE VALIDATING CARRIER  
ATTN*VALIDATING CARRIER SPECIFIED - CX                          

PRICED USING RULE OVERRIDE-FOLLOWING FARE RULES NOT MET         
 ATTN* SALES RESTRICTIONS                                       
FARE NOT GUARANTEED IF TICKETED                                 
ATTN*BAGGAGE INFO AVAILABLE - SEE WP*BAG
where do u get this information and how to read it?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by pbd456
where do u get this information and how to read it?
1) I use Sabre, a GDS for travel agents not accessible to the general public.
2) Look at the "TAX" field and you will only see "CN" (PVG departure tax). There is no "YQ" or "YR," so no fuel surcharge. I used PVG-MAD as an example and forced the system to quote using CX plate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.