Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ernestnywang
oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards Wiki v0.1

Rules
1. You need two non CX/KA carriers
2. You are allowed 5 stopovers, 2 transits (<=24hrs) and 2 open jaws. You can use your stopover allowance as a transit, possibly by asking for it to be ticketed as such (extra taxes?). [Using stopover for transit is no longer possible since 2021/22?]
3. The open-jaw points do not count towards your stopover allowance. Neither does the final city on the itinerary
4. You must start and end in the same country.
5. To determine the miles required, add up all flight sectors on your itinerary and look up the award chart (ignore the distance between open-jaw points). gcmap.com is handy, though best to go via asiamiles' calculator.
6. Co-terminals (NRT/HND, LHR/LCY) do not count as an open-jaw (takes up 1 stopover/transit allowance).

If an itinerary clears the above, it is valid, though you may have to argue a lot back and forth. Keep your patience suit on and and keep referring to the terms & conditions ("What in the T&Cs makes this invalid" tends to work).

For the examples below, x=transit, o=stopover, and capitalized alphabets represent airports.

Some valid routings that have commonly been pushed back on
1. "You cannot go through the start, destination, or enroute point more than once". A-oB-oA-oC-oD-A is a valid itinerary.
2. "An open-jaw point is a stopover". A-oB-oC-D//E-oF-G//H-oI-oJ-A is valid, as is A-oB-xC-D//E-oF-G//H-xI-oJ-oK-oL-A.

Other tips
1. Tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of issuance. Potentially a pain when planning that dream RTW trip involving LATAM/AA which release seats 330 days out, that you're trying to tee-in with CX award seats released a year out.
2. A combination of BA/AA/LATAM/QF sites works well to research availability (look for saver availability)
3. You can go crazy on the routings- A-oB-A//C-oD-C//E-A is fine if A,B,E are in country/Region # 1, and, C,D are at the other end of the world.

Print Wikipost

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2021, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Update:

Managed to book my flight. Thanks to percysmith for confirming it was OK. It ended up as follows due to award availability:
JFK-HND (STOP1)
HND-SIN (STOP2)
SIN-DOH (STOP3 used as transit)
DOH-SFO (OPENJAW1)
YYZ-HKG (TRANSIT1)
HKG-SIN (STOP4)
SIN-HKG (TRANSIT2)
HKG-LHR (STOP5)
LHR-SFO (END)

240,000 AM + $1600 USD in taxes + YQ. A bit unfortunate with the cash portion but I chose to accept the QR surcharge when I could have flown CX, as I haven't had opportunities to fly QR since moving to SFO and now they fly here. LHR is also just unavoidable for it. All in all, probably the best use I could get out of these Asia miles, and many of them were transferred a year ago with the stacked AMEX + AM transfer bonuses.
I'm looking at a RTW where I need BA on the first segment (unless I find AY/AA J space ex-USA by some miracle, lol) since it's (ideally) USA-Northern Europe-Southern Europe-ME-India-Australia-SE Asia-Japan-USA (with some rearrangement of intermediate parts/insertion of open-jaws for availability and keeping under 25k miles, but Northern Europe comes first, and I want RTW). If BA + QR make the YQ sky high I'll probably avoid QR...
Old Jan 19, 2021, 11:31 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I'm looking at a RTW where I need BA on the first segment (unless I find AY/AA J space ex-USA by some miracle, lol) since it's (ideally) USA-Northern Europe-Southern Europe-ME-India-Australia-SE Asia-Japan-USA (with some rearrangement of intermediate parts/insertion of open-jaws for availability and keeping under 25k miles, but Northern Europe comes first, and I want RTW). If BA + QR make the YQ sky high I'll probably avoid QR...
Yeah for reference, SIN-HKG-SFO on CX = 88 USD in taxes+fees. SIN-DOH-SFO on QR = 458 USD in taxes+fees. I deemed it worth it for this case because I wanted some Qsuites on this routing, but not without going back and forth on it for a while. If you can sub in CX anywhere it'll cut the cash portion significantly.

I'm not sure how bad BA is in general. I had to accept the UK APD on top of YQ so LHR-SFO has $570 USD in taxes+fees. That plus the QR flight made up about 2/3 of the cash portion.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Yeah for reference, SIN-HKG-SFO on CX = 88 USD in taxes+fees. SIN-DOH-SFO on QR = 458 USD in taxes+fees. I deemed it worth it for this case because I wanted some Qsuites on this routing, but not without going back and forth on it for a while. If you can sub in CX anywhere it'll cut the cash portion significantly.

I'm not sure how bad BA is in general. I had to accept the UK APD on top of YQ so LHR-SFO has $570 USD in taxes+fees. That plus the QR flight made up about 2/3 of the cash portion.
I'm likely going ex-USA-LHR with BA (probably, easiest one-stop option to anywhere in Europe) so I don't have to worry about UK APD, that's like $200 USD I'll save right there. I'll likely use an OJ in Europe because a) Easyjet and the like are cheap and b) I simply don't need lounges and flat seats for 1-3 hour flights- coach exit row is fine (and I like how easy it is to spend $10-20 on an LCC to get it on top of a cheap fare). I'll probably contemplate more off the beaten track options like RJ/UL over QR for the ME/India legs if I need them. Using CX and JL for chunks is intended. This is late spring-early summer 2022 so I'm thinking this planned trip might not be vaporware...
nexusCFX likes this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 19, 2021 at 11:54 pm
Old Mar 17, 2021, 1:49 pm

Programs: SQ, SK, QR
Pretty sure this is a valid routing. Appreciate if the experts on here can help confirm.

SYD-HKG (Open Jaw 1) CX
DEL-HND (Stopover 1) JL
HND-DOH (Transit 1) QR
DOH-GRU (Stopover 2) QR
GRU-DOH (Transit 2) QR
DOH-JNB (Stopover 3) QR
JNB-LHR (Stopover 4) BA
LHR-HND (Stopover 5) JL
HND-CDG (Open Jaw 2) JL
CBR-MEL (Finished) QF

GC Mapper has the distance at 49,900 miles. If Asia Miles calculates it to be over the 50,000 limit I'll switch out SYD-HKG with SYD-KUL which should hopefully get me back under.

Aiming to book all segments in early 2022.

Does anyone know whether I'll be able to change dates and/or routing for free if a certain segment gets cancelled or has a significant schedule change?

Many thanks in advance.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 9:31 pm

Programs: Aero Plan, Marriott, Air Miles
Came across this thread while searching for ideas for redeeming AVIOS on multi carrier award ticket.
I am based at YYZ and wanted to maximize full 8 segments (actually 7 segments plus one last longest segment). focusing less taxes and better premium products.
appreciate if there are any already booked itineraries in the past so that i can start from there.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AJ747M
Pretty sure this is a valid routing. Appreciate if the experts on here can help confirm.

Does anyone know whether I'll be able to change dates and/or routing for free if a certain segment gets cancelled or has a significant schedule change?

Many thanks in advance.
Routing looks valid.

If a segment gets cancelled or significantly changed, re-routing fees should be waived with no problems. Availability would be the problem though.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
Routing looks valid.

If a segment gets cancelled or significantly changed, re-routing fees should be waived with no problems. Availability would be the problem though.
Awesome, thanks. Yes will have to navigate the availability issue later on...
Old Mar 18, 2021, 5:40 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I’m finding that CX is far more ready to make a married segment available as standard redemption when a stand-alone segment to/from HKG Is not. Maybe that’s the way to go for oneworld awards (if you can navigate thru all the quarantine rules).
Old Mar 19, 2021, 8:55 pm

Anyone have some insights on how taxes are calculated? I just tried to ticket the following:

SYD-HKG (Stopover 1) CX
HKG-HND (Stopover 2) JL
HND-DOH (Transit 1) QR
DOH-GRU (Stopover 3) QR
GRU-LHR (Open Jaw 1) BA
HEL-HND (Stopover 4) JL
HND-SYD (Stopover 5) JL
SYD-DOH (Transit 2) QR
DOH-ARN (Open Jaw 2) QR
KUL-SYD (Finished) MH

Agent quoted a whopping 11,000HKD+ in taxes, whereas when I search these segments individually (and transits as transits) on the Asia Miles site I get something closer to 6000HKD.

I suspect YQ is being added on the HND-DOH-GRU segment on QR, which is not the case when you book a one-way award. Maybe this can be added since the ticket is originating in Australia (where YQ is allowed) rather than Japan (where YQ isn't allowed)?
Old Mar 20, 2021, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QR is super expensive for YQ, and yes, that would do it.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 10:01 am

Ive just discovered the world of Multi Carrie Awards... and have booked my first trip! Not as exciting as the trips listed above , but i did get one CX leg in FIRST and the rest in business AKL-LHR Return for 240k AVIOS points over the xmas period. Bookable online on BA.COM without having to ring up etc.

CX0198 - Cathay Pacific Airways | Business | Confirmed
Auckland - Hong Kong
CX0255
Cathay Pacific Airways | First | Confirmed
Hong Kong - Heathrow (London)

MH0003 - Malaysia Airlines | Business | Confirmed
Heathrow (London) - Kuala Lumpur
MH0133 - Malaysia Airlines | Business | Confirmed
Kuala Lumpur - Auckland

Avios points debited 240000
Payment Total GBP 366.92
Old Apr 7, 2021, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Is it possible to hold an award before transferring the miles from my credit card?
Old Jul 11, 2021, 8:51 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Is it possible to hold an award before transferring the miles from my credit card?
Yes, at least for a few (~3) days
Old Jul 11, 2021, 8:54 pm

Programs: AP AS BA
Originally Posted by babyg_wc
Ive just discovered the world of Multi Carrie Awards... and have booked my first trip! Not as exciting as the trips listed above , but i did get one CX leg in FIRST and the rest in business AKL-LHR Return for 240k AVIOS points over the xmas period. Bookable online on BA.COM without having to ring up etc.

CX0198 - Cathay Pacific Airways | Business | Confirmed
Auckland - Hong Kong
CX0255
Cathay Pacific Airways | First | Confirmed
Hong Kong - Heathrow (London)

MH0003 - Malaysia Airlines | Business | Confirmed
Heathrow (London) - Kuala Lumpur
MH0133 - Malaysia Airlines | Business | Confirmed
Kuala Lumpur - Auckland

Avios points debited 240000
Payment Total GBP 366.92
That's pretty sweet! and such low YQ - guess it helps to ex NZ.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
It is a straightforward BAEC avios award AKL-LHR-AKL.

Let's hope that the flights booked do indeed operate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.