Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ernestnywang
oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards Wiki v0.1

Rules
1. You need two non CX/KA carriers
2. You are allowed 5 stopovers, 2 transits (<=24hrs) and 2 open jaws. You can use your stopover allowance as a transit, possibly by asking for it to be ticketed as such (extra taxes?). [Using stopover for transit is no longer possible since 2021/22?]
3. The open-jaw points do not count towards your stopover allowance. Neither does the final city on the itinerary
4. You must start and end in the same country.
5. To determine the miles required, add up all flight sectors on your itinerary and look up the award chart (ignore the distance between open-jaw points). gcmap.com is handy, though best to go via asiamiles' calculator.
6. Co-terminals (NRT/HND, LHR/LCY) do not count as an open-jaw (takes up 1 stopover/transit allowance).

If an itinerary clears the above, it is valid, though you may have to argue a lot back and forth. Keep your patience suit on and and keep referring to the terms & conditions ("What in the T&Cs makes this invalid" tends to work).

For the examples below, x=transit, o=stopover, and capitalized alphabets represent airports.

Some valid routings that have commonly been pushed back on
1. "You cannot go through the start, destination, or enroute point more than once". A-oB-oA-oC-oD-A is a valid itinerary.
2. "An open-jaw point is a stopover". A-oB-oC-D//E-oF-G//H-oI-oJ-A is valid, as is A-oB-xC-D//E-oF-G//H-xI-oJ-oK-oL-A.

Other tips
1. Tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of issuance. Potentially a pain when planning that dream RTW trip involving LATAM/AA which release seats 330 days out, that you're trying to tee-in with CX award seats released a year out.
2. A combination of BA/AA/LATAM/QF sites works well to research availability (look for saver availability)
3. You can go crazy on the routings- A-oB-A//C-oD-C//E-A is fine if A,B,E are in country/Region # 1, and, C,D are at the other end of the world.

Print Wikipost

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:38 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by lifeonthego_k
How long were the CX award segments kept on hold for you? But the fact that they kept it on hold and allowed you add segments as they became available is very good. In the case of Krisflyer's RTW ticket all segments need to be bookable at the same time, making it very hard to redeem such a ticket.
If memory serves me correctly, i’ve kept award segments for 30+days while waiting for other carriers to open their inventory per their release calendar (this for a mega South America trip). Also recall MH segments being kept for a couple of weeks (remember since I was bewildered, but the agent said that there’s an issuance deadline from MH of XX date, and that we can fight back if they drop those).

CX has a lot of flaws, but does well to its DMs on most things- I’ve never had an issue keeping segments for longer than I’ve needed to.

lifeonthego_k likes this.

Last edited by jagmeets; Mar 8, 2018 at 11:53 pm
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:41 am

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jagmeets
If memory serves me correctly, i’ve kept award segments for 30+days while waiting for other carriers to open their inventory per their release calendar (this for a mega South America trip). Also recall MH segments being kept for a couple of weeks (remember since I was bewildered, but the agent said that there’s an issuance deadline from MH of XX date, and that we can fight back if they drop those).

CX has a lot of flaws, but does well to its DMs on most things- I’ve never had an issue keeping segments for longer than I’ve needed to.

That's quite a hold they gave you! As you've obviously booked such a ticket before and that too for travel to South America, could you please sanity check this itinerary for me? I'll really appreciate it.

HKG-oJNB-HKG // HKG-oJFK-oSCL-oPUQ-xSCL-oIPC-xSCL-xMEL-HKG

Will my two transits in SCL count as one or two?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by lifeonthego_k; Mar 9, 2018 at 5:48 am
Old Mar 9, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF

HKG-oJNB-HKG // HKG-oJFK-oSCL-oPUQ-xSCL-oIPC-xSCL-xMEL-HKG

Will my two transits in SCL count as one or two?
If its two, then its two sadly .

CX goes segment by segment.
Trying to get creative, you do have an unused open-jaw, and inserting that in there somewhere will free up two x's, and/or o's.
Easiest would be to take one segment out (the cheapest one), and buy a revenue ticket for that..(as an example ..oSCL-PUQ//SCL-oIPC-xSCL...will leave you with one extra stopover to play with - note, I have no clue on the economics).
BTW, if you do get down to this - do anything and everything to get CX to issue the tickets asap after you add the LA sectors - I had a fair bit of grief that required someone in CX to speak with LA's 'oneworld liaison' to resolve.

Wait - scratch all the above..just noticed that you have an openjaw between HKG, and,...HKG - thats not an openjaw!

That one in HKG needs to be either a transit, or a stopover.. so you're two above your transit+stopover allowance already.

Why not this: HKG-oJNB-oHKG-oJFK-oSCL-oIPC-xSCL-xXXX-HKG? SCL-PUQ will be a cheap economy ticket since they don't have business on domestics in anycase..
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Thanks a lot for the input!

Originally Posted by jagmeets
buy a revenue ticket for that..(as an example ..oSCL-PUQ//SCL-oIPC-xSCL...will leave you with one extra stopover to play with - note, I have no clue on the economics).
Great idea, just checked and SCL-PUQ is very cheap and if I buy it in Chile it'll be even cheaper!

BTW, if you do get down to this - do anything and everything to get CX to issue the tickets asap after you add the LA sectors - I had a fair bit of grief that required someone in CX to speak with LA's 'oneworld liaison' to resolve.
What was the issue you faced here? Why was CX refusing to issue the tickets after you added the LA sectors?

Why not this: HKG-oJNB-oHKG-oJFK-oSCL-oIPC-xSCL-xXXX-HKG? SCL-PUQ will be a cheap economy ticket since they don't have business on domestics in anycase..
How about this - HKG-oJNB-xHKG-KUL // SIN-xMEL-oSCL-oIPC-xSCL-oJFK-HKG (the second part of the journey would commence 6-8 months later) or even HKG-JNB // WDH-xDOH-SIN // HKG-xJFK-oSCL-oIPC-xSCL-oJFK-HKG?

Last edited by lifeonthego_k; Mar 9, 2018 at 10:47 am
Old Mar 15, 2018, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Thinking of doing a Multi carrier award. Was wondering can I add on segments later? As of now the outbound is open but the return is not. So can I pay the miles for one way and then pay the extra and get the return added?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:59 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Thinking of doing a Multi carrier award. Was wondering can I add on segments later? As of now the outbound is open but the return is not. So can I pay the miles for one way and then pay the extra and get the return added?
Cancel and reissue https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...practices.html post 1 second quote
onlysuites likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Hilton, Choice, Wyndham
Hi all! Is this valid?

DCA-xBOS-oNRT-oICN-oHKG-oSYD-oHNL-xLAX-SEA?

DCA-BOS: AA
BOS-NRT-ICN: JAL
ICN-HKG: CX
HKG-SYD: CX or QF
SYD-HNL: QF
HNL-LAX-SEA: AA
Great Circle Mapper
22,325 BIS miles, so it should price out at 110k in Y?
If I kill NRT-ICN and swap that leg for Avios or LCC, then I've saved 2 stopvers, and added an open jaw. Then is this valid?

DCA-xBOS-NRT // ICN-oHKG-oSYD-oHNL-xLAX-oSEA-xDFW-oAUS-xDFW-DCA

In the last CLT transit, can that be xDFW again even though SEA-AUS is via DFW? If not I can try to change the SEA-xxx-AUS layover to PHX/LAX/ORD, or the AUS-xxx-DCA layover to ORD/MIA/CLT/PHL
Great Circle Mapper

Thanks so much!
Old Mar 16, 2018, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by percysmith

Cancel and reissue https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...practices.html post 1 second quote
The problem with this is that the flights might not come back into the system.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 6:56 am

The problem with this is that the flights might not come back into the system.
No
Cancel and reissue normally doesn't involve releasing seats

But cancel and reissue is like AM or AAdvantage holding seats awaiting ticketing
If not ticketed within a certain period of time (QF 10 days, CX 5 days, QR ~24 hours) the seats may be dropped and returned to carrier
onlysuites likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 8:16 am

I'm in a similar quandary. Thinking of doing this but of course, when you add the return, a re-issue fee of $100/person will be chargeable, won't it?
Old Mar 16, 2018, 9:00 am

I'm in a similar quandary. Thinking of doing this but of course, when you add the return, a re-issue fee of $100/person will be chargeable, won't it?
Rebook: change from one flight to another
same airline, route, class of service
US$40/4,000AM

Reissue: change of class, change of city (incl add/delete segments)
same airline(s)
US$100/10,000AM

Cancellation and reissue: everything else. Your segments can be held (subject to reticketing deadline which can be as low as 24h for QR) but a new ticket will be issued.
US$120/12,000AM

---

Rebooking CX/KA: no recalculation of taxes and surcharges
Rebooking other airlines: recalculation of taxes and surcharges
Reissue, cancellation and reissue: recalculation of taxes and surcharges
Decs and lifeonthego_k like this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 10:00 am

I have Platinum status with QR, which makes me a OWE. If I book such an award ticket using AM, with whom I have no status, are airlines likely to grant me OWE privileges (e.g access to first class lounges, additional check-in bag allowance, etc.), if I show my QR membership card? Anyone tried this before? Thanks.

Last edited by lifeonthego_k; Mar 16, 2018 at 10:26 am
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Of course - it doesn't matter how you pay for your ticket. If you are flying on oneworld then you get oneworld Emerald privileges.

Many thousands of people do this every day - that's the whole point of oneworld.
lifeonthego_k likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
I have Platinum status with QR, which makes me a OWE. If I book such an award ticket using AM, with whom I have no status, are airlines likely to grant me OWE privileges (e.g access to first class lounges, additional check-in bag allowance, etc.), if I show my QR membership card? Anyone tried this before? Thanks.
By the way, there are different frequent flyer fields within Amadeus (which both CX and QR use). There's FQTV for where the miles go, FQTR for where the miles are redeemed from, and FQTS for the status recognition. See if CX can help put your QR number in FQTV or FQTS.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by ernestnywang
By the way, there are different frequent flyer fields within Amadeus (which both CX and QR use). There's FQTV for where the miles go, FQTR for where the miles are redeemed from, and FQTS for the status recognition. See if CX can help put your QR number in FQTV or FQTS.
Thanks! Will request CX to do so after ticketing is done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.