Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ernestnywang
oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards Wiki v0.1

Rules
1. You need two non CX/KA carriers
2. You are allowed 5 stopovers, 2 transits (<=24hrs) and 2 open jaws. You can use your stopover allowance as a transit, possibly by asking for it to be ticketed as such (extra taxes?). [Using stopover for transit is no longer possible since 2021/22?]
3. The open-jaw points do not count towards your stopover allowance. Neither does the final city on the itinerary
4. You must start and end in the same country.
5. To determine the miles required, add up all flight sectors on your itinerary and look up the award chart (ignore the distance between open-jaw points). gcmap.com is handy, though best to go via asiamiles' calculator.
6. Co-terminals (NRT/HND, LHR/LCY) do not count as an open-jaw (takes up 1 stopover/transit allowance).

If an itinerary clears the above, it is valid, though you may have to argue a lot back and forth. Keep your patience suit on and and keep referring to the terms & conditions ("What in the T&Cs makes this invalid" tends to work).

For the examples below, x=transit, o=stopover, and capitalized alphabets represent airports.

Some valid routings that have commonly been pushed back on
1. "You cannot go through the start, destination, or enroute point more than once". A-oB-oA-oC-oD-A is a valid itinerary.
2. "An open-jaw point is a stopover". A-oB-oC-D//E-oF-G//H-oI-oJ-A is valid, as is A-oB-xC-D//E-oF-G//H-xI-oJ-oK-oL-A.

Other tips
1. Tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of issuance. Potentially a pain when planning that dream RTW trip involving LATAM/AA which release seats 330 days out, that you're trying to tee-in with CX award seats released a year out.
2. A combination of BA/AA/LATAM/QF sites works well to research availability (look for saver availability)
3. You can go crazy on the routings- A-oB-A//C-oD-C//E-A is fine if A,B,E are in country/Region # 1, and, C,D are at the other end of the world.

Print Wikipost

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Old Feb 13, 2018, 8:25 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I'll rewrite your itinerary: A-oB-A//C-oD-xC-oA-xE-F//G-xG-A

3o 3x 2// so fine
Old Feb 14, 2018, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
I'll rewrite your itinerary: A-oB-A//C-oD-xC-oA-xE-F//G-xG-A

3o 3x 2// so fine
thanks.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 10:55 pm

Sharing from HKG

135,000 miles for Business Class
HKG BCN CX321 0020-0735 Openjaw
BRU HKG CX338 1310-0635+1 Stopover

HKG TPE CX530 0850-1045 Stopover
TPE KIX JL814 0840-1225 Stopover
KIX HKG CX569 1850-2155 Stopover

HKG SIN CX759 0900-1300 Openjaw
BKK HKG RJ182 1525-1900

Distance 17826 miles
Tax 1986 HKD (USD255)

Last edited by hk1992; Feb 17, 2018 at 11:51 pm
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:24 am

Programs: SQ VA QF CX JL NH AA
I would like to book a oneworld multi carrier award but at the moment dont have quite enough points for the whole itinerary. I am worried the key flights will disappear if i wait to book it all in one go.

Can i ring up now and book three sectors and pay the required mileage for that distance band, then say in a month when i have the points for the rest of the flights ring up and add the final two sectors to the original booking? If yes will the system be smart enough to charge me the difference between the intial mileage banding and the final mileage banding?

And is the cost to add the final two sectors $USD100 in total? From the terms and conditions i couldnt determine if it was $USD100 per flight added or $USD100 per change(which could encompass multiple new flights).

Thank you.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
May be wrong...but I think that if you’re making changes en-masse, it should just be a $100 reinsurance fee for the whole ticket. I’ve only done this once before and CX was able to hold partner award seats (same booking reference) and issue the new tickets (something SQ refused to do in a similar situation). Easier yet, if it’s CX/KA award seats, I’d reckon.

btw this re-issuance had been from a ow multi carrier award to a straight award, and the seats in question had been on LA/AA.

(I have, however done multiple oneworld carrier award tickets where the initial booking was on CX segments with partner segments added later on- easier since I had just kept the CX award segments on hold without issuing the tickets).
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:28 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by jagmeets
May be wrong...but I think that if you’re making changes en-masse, it should just be a $100 reinsurance fee for the whole ticket. I’ve only done this once before and CX was able to hold partner award seats (same booking reference) and issue the new tickets (something SQ refused to do in a similar situation). Easier yet, if it’s CX/KA award seats, I’d reckon.

btw this re-issuance had been from a ow multi carrier award to a straight award, and the seats in question had been on LA/AA.

(I have, however done multiple oneworld carrier award tickets where the initial booking was on CX segments with partner segments added later on- easier since I had just kept the CX award segments on hold without issuing the tickets).
Was charged US$120 for this https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...practices.html
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:50 pm

Ah, yes- $120!
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
In such case, a new Booking Ref and eTicket Number will be used. But how about the expiry date of the whole ticket, still count from the first issuance or the re-issuance?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 5:44 pm

Booking reference should remain the same- they can add sectors to the same booking. Ticket would be a new one, should be valid for a year from issuance.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:53 pm

Booking reference should remain the same- they can add sectors to the same booking. Ticket would be a new one, should be valid for a year from issuance.
A more specific fictional scenario.

First redeemed a standard AM award at Jan/2018. (say: A-B-A)

Is it possible to pay US$120 at later stage (say, Mar/2018) to:
1) convert the standard award into multi-carrier award? (from A-B-A to A-B-A-C-D-E-A)
2) and add sectors after 12 months of the first issuance date? (A-C-D-E-A fly between Feb-Mar/2019 for example)
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by lewisyu
A more specific fictional scenario.

First redeemed a standard AM award at Jan/2018. (say: A-B-A)

Is it possible to pay US$120 at later stage (say, Mar/2018) to:
1) convert the standard award into multi-carrier award? (from A-B-A to A-B-A-C-D-E-A)
2) and add sectors after 12 months of the first issuance date? (A-C-D-E-A fly between Feb-Mar/2019 for example)
I'm probably missing something, but if you don't need A-B-A, why bother booking that in the first place?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:42 pm

I'm probably missing something, but if you don't need A-B-A, why bother booking that in the first place?
I still need the original A-B-A redemption.
The reason is simple. A standard award A-B-A costs 120K AMs. And a separate A-C-D-E-A standard award will cost another 120K award.
But if it is possible to make them into one multi-carrier, the required AM maybe able to bring down to 165/180K range.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:19 am

Sorry, I am confused by the way points 1 & 2 are written. If what you are aiming to achieve, is simply to initially book A-B-A, and then add sectors to make it A-B-A-C-D-E-A, then it should be do-able.

If A-B-A is, say in late 2018, you could try to just reserve (and not ticket) A-B-A, and then call in once the ...A-C-D-E-A sectors are released, to add those and issue as a multi-carrier award. Doubt that you'll be able to do anything with a ticket if there's any travel already done (the initial A-B segment for example).
If you do issue the A-B-A ticket, but haven't traveled on that yet, you should be able to cancel the ticket and issue a new one while holding the A-B-A award seats and adding the other sectors.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Does anyone here have experience booking a partner sector into W on a multi-carrier J award? I tried to change a sector from Y to W in light of a schedule change and was denied, saying that W bookings are flat out not permitted on any multi-carrier award, and that in my case I had to be ticketed in either Y or J.

Edit: got told the same info by two phone agents, escalating to supervisor now.

Last edited by dkc192; Mar 7, 2018 at 6:09 pm
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: QR Gold, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Taj Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
How long were the CX award segments kept on hold for you? But the fact that they kept it on hold and allowed you add segments as they became available is very good. In the case of Krisflyer's RTW ticket all segments need to be bookable at the same time, making it very hard to redeem such a ticket.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.