Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ernestnywang
oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards Wiki v0.1

Rules
1. You need two non CX/KA carriers
2. You are allowed 5 stopovers, 2 transits (<=24hrs) and 2 open jaws. You can use your stopover allowance as a transit, possibly by asking for it to be ticketed as such (extra taxes?). [Using stopover for transit is no longer possible since 2021/22?]
3. The open-jaw points do not count towards your stopover allowance. Neither does the final city on the itinerary
4. You must start and end in the same country.
5. To determine the miles required, add up all flight sectors on your itinerary and look up the award chart (ignore the distance between open-jaw points). gcmap.com is handy, though best to go via asiamiles' calculator.
6. Co-terminals (NRT/HND, LHR/LCY) do not count as an open-jaw (takes up 1 stopover/transit allowance).

If an itinerary clears the above, it is valid, though you may have to argue a lot back and forth. Keep your patience suit on and and keep referring to the terms & conditions ("What in the T&Cs makes this invalid" tends to work).

For the examples below, x=transit, o=stopover, and capitalized alphabets represent airports.

Some valid routings that have commonly been pushed back on
1. "You cannot go through the start, destination, or enroute point more than once". A-oB-oA-oC-oD-A is a valid itinerary.
2. "An open-jaw point is a stopover". A-oB-oC-D//E-oF-G//H-oI-oJ-A is valid, as is A-oB-xC-D//E-oF-G//H-xI-oJ-oK-oL-A.

Other tips
1. Tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of issuance. Potentially a pain when planning that dream RTW trip involving LATAM/AA which release seats 330 days out, that you're trying to tee-in with CX award seats released a year out.
2. A combination of BA/AA/LATAM/QF sites works well to research availability (look for saver availability)
3. You can go crazy on the routings- A-oB-A//C-oD-C//E-A is fine if A,B,E are in country/Region # 1, and, C,D are at the other end of the world.

Print Wikipost

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2018, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by kaka

when was that? I knew of ays charge but some got to get away from it.
May 2017.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by legrandfromage
As a newbie and a retiree with time on my hands, I've read through most of these pages and appreciate everything that the experts have done with explaining the one world multi carrier awards. As a UK resident I am a bit limited in my options in trying to do a big Australian/NZ trip for 2 plus a few stopovers both ways but have come up with a draft trip plan which will take at least 6 weeks starting around this time next year:

LHR-AMSx-HKGo-CNSo-BNE//SYD-AKLo-KULo-CMBo-LHR using BA, CX,MH and UL.

As far as I can see that satisfies the rules with 5 stopovers, 1 transfer (but may need another and some more miles to get back from CMB to LHR) and 1 open jaw. Mileage is 24022 on gc mapper so 240k avios in J and room for a lengthy transfer routeing out of CMB if needed.
Anyone see any issues with the routeing or airlines used?

One thing I would appreciate feedback on is the timing of trying to book this. As the last flights will be 5 or 6 weeks at least after the first I presume I can't book until availability for the last flights is open, which will limit my possible options for the earlier flights but I guess I'll just have to hope that reward flights have not all been nabbed at that stage....?

Thanks
Avios or Asia Miles? If Avios you may need to ask in the BA forum.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: ba,dl,qr
Originally Posted by HarbourGent
Avios or Asia Miles? If Avios you may need to ask in the BA forum.
Avios, but I presume the rules on one world multi carrier awards are the same whether paid for in avios or Asia miles. Happy to be corrected if I’m wrong. Anyone able to help?
Lgf
Old Jan 30, 2018, 1:59 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by legrandfromage

Avios, but I presume the rules on one world multi carrier awards are the same whether paid for in avios or Asia miles. Happy to be corrected if I’m wrong. Anyone able to help?
Lgf
wrong presumption rules are dedicated to the own program only.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:06 am

For Avios multicarrier awards, try this thread in the BA forum:
Multi-Carrier Reward Flights
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: ba,dl,qr
Thanks Harbourgent, will do.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Not a OW award but recently booked AMS-DEL-LHR on 9W and was charged 130k but their website quotes 120k. Operator said something about it being a one way award rather then a return. Is that correct?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by onlysuites
Not a OW award but recently booked AMS-DEL-LHR on 9W and was charged 130k but their website quotes 120k. Operator said something about it being a one way award rather then a return. Is that correct?
Open jaw: must start and end in the same country. So your itinerary should be counted as 2 single trips.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I know I posted about this somewhere but can't find it. We are booked HKG-ORD on a CX award. Then separate PNR on AA onward. I feel like someone said we could check bags through b/c all Oneworld. But DM to AA via twitter got the response "no you can't do that b/c separate PNR". I don't want to have to get bags from HKG-ORD flight and have to exit airside to recheck.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
HKG-ORD-XXX requires you to clear US CBP at ORD in any case. Since CX is the originating carrier, they will tag the bags through (their, not oneworld policy and that’s what counts since you’re checking in with CX), but you will still need to claim the bags at ORD, clear customs and drop them at the baggage re-check counter.

In the reverse, AA would not check bags through- their policy.

The unpublished oneworld policy was rescinded a while back.

Last edited by jagmeets; Feb 12, 2018 at 7:35 am Reason: typos
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Psychiatrist
Open jaw: must start and end in the same country. So your itinerary should be counted as 2 single trips.
Well two single trips should be 140k so looks like I got a better deal.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jagmeets
HKG-OrD-XXx required you to clear US CBP at ORD in any case. Since CX is the originating carrier, they will tag the bags through(their, not oneworld policy and that’s what counts since you’re checking in with CX), but you will still need to claim the bags at ORD, clear customs and drop them at the baggage re-check counter.

In the reverse, AA would not check bags through- their policy.

The unpublished oneworld policy was rescinded a while back.
Perfect. Thanks. Glad CX will tag all the way through. I realize now after reading your post that it may not have mattered bc I could prob check the bags fresh anyway for continuing AA right at the recheck counter.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, MU Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Just wonder does ex-HKG or ex-MNL turn out to have lower fuel surcharges (similar routings/same distances/flights in the other direction)on OW award?
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by ny911
Just wonder does ex-HKG or ex-MNL turn out to have lower fuel surcharges (similar routings/same distances/flights in the other direction)on OW award?
OW on CX HKG-ORD was about $150 in fees for J.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 7:36 am

Hi. First time looking at this. Have a route in mind which goes as follows:

A-Bx
B-Ao
C-Dx
D-C-Ax
A-E-Fo
G-Ex-A

Is this a valid route? Basically will have a open-jaw + stopover at the origin Airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.