Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ernestnywang
oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards Wiki v0.1

Rules
1. You need two non CX/KA carriers
2. You are allowed 5 stopovers, 2 transits (<=24hrs) and 2 open jaws. You can use your stopover allowance as a transit, possibly by asking for it to be ticketed as such (extra taxes?). [Using stopover for transit is no longer possible since 2021/22?]
3. The open-jaw points do not count towards your stopover allowance. Neither does the final city on the itinerary
4. You must start and end in the same country.
5. To determine the miles required, add up all flight sectors on your itinerary and look up the award chart (ignore the distance between open-jaw points). gcmap.com is handy, though best to go via asiamiles' calculator.
6. Co-terminals (NRT/HND, LHR/LCY) do not count as an open-jaw (takes up 1 stopover/transit allowance).

If an itinerary clears the above, it is valid, though you may have to argue a lot back and forth. Keep your patience suit on and and keep referring to the terms & conditions ("What in the T&Cs makes this invalid" tends to work).

For the examples below, x=transit, o=stopover, and capitalized alphabets represent airports.

Some valid routings that have commonly been pushed back on
1. "You cannot go through the start, destination, or enroute point more than once". A-oB-oA-oC-oD-A is a valid itinerary.
2. "An open-jaw point is a stopover". A-oB-oC-D//E-oF-G//H-oI-oJ-A is valid, as is A-oB-xC-D//E-oF-G//H-xI-oJ-oK-oL-A.

Other tips
1. Tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of issuance. Potentially a pain when planning that dream RTW trip involving LATAM/AA which release seats 330 days out, that you're trying to tee-in with CX award seats released a year out.
2. A combination of BA/AA/LATAM/QF sites works well to research availability (look for saver availability)
3. You can go crazy on the routings- A-oB-A//C-oD-C//E-A is fine if A,B,E are in country/Region # 1, and, C,D are at the other end of the world.

Print Wikipost

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:23 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by waver99
Just had a redemption with awfully high fees. Couple of misconceptions by the agent helping me that I didn't bother to try to correct but wanted to ask you guys if it's any use fighting the fees I was charged?

Routing: LAX-oLIM//GRU-xJNB-xDOH-oSIN-HKG//SAN-LAX (required by the agent as I must return into the same city rather than country )

I intend to add a HKG-JFK-HKG in june july for 2019 when the flights open up so not to fussed at the moment, probably will need to escalate to supervisor again for replacing transfers with stopovers, sigh!

Surcharges and taxes were a whopping 4412HKD which seems because they calculate YQ on a segment by segment basis instead of considering the taxes on GRU-JNB-DOH-SIN and charging me only once for QR YQ for JNB-DOH-SIN instead of twice, once for each segment.
Your whole routing didn't start from GRU. You don't get to pick and choose.

If you wish to avail yourself of national anti-YQ rules (BR, PH) then start from that country.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
Your whole routing didn't start from GRU. You don't get to pick and choose.

If you wish to avail yourself of national anti-YQ rules (BR, PH) then start from that country.
Am not asking not to get away YQ-free, what I meant was that the carrier surcharges charged to me does not seem to match what I can view on ITA matrix (or maybe it doesn't work that way), inputting segment by segment on BA Avios got me only around 2800 HKD total fees and taxes.

Then again, looking at an earlier redemption MNL-KUL-oLHR-HEL-oSIN-oHKG-oMNL I was charged YR (AY carrier surcharges) of 1062 HKD. Total for that trip was HKD 3460 so just to caution you guys that ticketing in MNL only saved me the YQ of the MNL-KUL-LHR leg.

Last edited by waver99; Jan 4, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: MH, CX, SQ
Possible to redeem premium economy with British airways for one sector?

Hi is it possible to redeem premium economy award flights on AM MCA?
Old Jan 14, 2018, 12:54 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Cannot https://www.asiamiles.com/en/redeem-...ierawardschart
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:23 am

I thought that if one redeemed a multi-carrier award, some segments could be redeemed in a lower class? So if one redeemed a business class level multi-carrier award, a premium economy sector on British Airways would be fine? (I don't know if that is what BurnT had in mind). Or are premium economy seats not available full stop?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Yes you are allowed to redeem sectors in a lower class.

However, the Asia Miles required will still be calculated as if the whole ticket was in business.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:41 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
But first and foremost its hotta be a subclass redeemable by am. Eg jl pe is never available
Old Jan 18, 2018, 5:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by waver99
Am not asking not to get away YQ-free, what I meant was that the carrier surcharges charged to me does not seem to match what I can view on ITA matrix (or maybe it doesn't work that way), inputting segment by segment on BA Avios got me only around 2800 HKD total fees and taxes.

Then again, looking at an earlier redemption MNL-KUL-oLHR-HEL-oSIN-oHKG-oMNL I was charged YR (AY carrier surcharges) of 1062 HKD. Total for that trip was HKD 3460 so just to caution you guys that ticketing in MNL only saved me the YQ of the MNL-KUL-LHR leg.
when was that? I knew of ays charge but some got to get away from it.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 5:46 pm

Looking into my first oneworld multi carrier award booking and would appreciate advice on the following itinery!

SIN - xHND - oCTS - xHND - oTPE // SIN - xMEL - oHBA - xMEL - SIN

Carriers would be JAL and Qantas.

I would have 1 open jaw, 3 stopovers and 4 transits. I will have to ask the agents to ticket the 2 extra transit as a stopover.

Total distance : 13908
Miles : 115k for Business.

Any reason why this would not work?

Thank!

Last edited by Autumm; Jan 20, 2018 at 5:59 pm
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:35 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by BurnT
Hi is it possible to redeem premium economy award flights on AM MCA?
Not for OW award, but if you are talking about just CX+BA (which is Asia Miles mixed-carrier award, different from oneworld multi-carrier award), I think it is possible.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: SQ VA QF CX JL NH AA
Gday

Can the brains trust please review the below itinerary for legality as a One world multi carrier award ticket:

SYD-oNRT-oPUS//ICN-xDOH-oSLL-oDOH-oCTU-xHKG-ADL

First two sectors JL, next four QR, then KA then CX.

Was concerned on the JL sectors. Read way back in this thread that JL have to be return sectors within any itinerary but cant see this in the Wiki at the top. Am i missing something?

Thank you,
Pele1958.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Pele1958
Gday

Can the brains trust please review the below itinerary for legality as a One world multi carrier award ticket:

SYD-oNRT-oPUS//ICN-xDOH-oSLL-oDOH-oCTU-xHKG-ADL

First two sectors JL, next four QR, then KA then CX.

Was concerned on the JL sectors. Read way back in this thread that JL have to be return sectors within any itinerary but cant see this in the Wiki at the top. Am i missing something?

Thank you,
Pele1958.
urs is perfectly fine despite What some agents might say
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:46 am

Programs: SQ VA QF CX JL NH AA
Gday

Thank you kaka.

Another question: how would i go about adding an infant to a one world multi carrier award? And how would i estimate the cost? If anyone has done this or has any data points for costs for their itinerary i would be glad to hear.

Thank you.
Pele1958.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: ba,dl,qr
As a newbie and a retiree with time on my hands, I've read through most of these pages and appreciate everything that the experts have done with explaining the one world multi carrier awards. As a UK resident I am a bit limited in my options in trying to do a big Australian/NZ trip for 2 plus a few stopovers both ways but have come up with a draft trip plan which will take at least 6 weeks starting around this time next year:

LHR-AMSx-HKGo-CNSo-BNE//SYD-AKLo-KULo-CMBo-LHR using BA, CX,MH and UL.

As far as I can see that satisfies the rules with 5 stopovers, 1 transfer (but may need another and some more miles to get back from CMB to LHR) and 1 open jaw. Mileage is 24022 on gc mapper so 240k avios in J and room for a lengthy transfer routeing out of CMB if needed.
Anyone see any issues with the routeing or airlines used?

One thing I would appreciate feedback on is the timing of trying to book this. As the last flights will be 5 or 6 weeks at least after the first I presume I can't book until availability for the last flights is open, which will limit my possible options for the earlier flights but I guess I'll just have to hope that reward flights have not all been nabbed at that stage....?

Thanks
Old Jan 26, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by Pele1958
Gday

Thank you kaka.

Another question: how would i go about adding an infant to a one world multi carrier award? And how would i estimate the cost? If anyone has done this or has any data points for costs for their itinerary i would be glad to hear.

Thank you.
Pele1958.
I believe it will be 10% of the normal fare. Can't redeem with miles.
Pele1958 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.