Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ernestnywang
oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards Wiki v0.1

Rules
1. You need two non CX/KA carriers
2. You are allowed 5 stopovers, 2 transits (<=24hrs) and 2 open jaws. You can use your stopover allowance as a transit, possibly by asking for it to be ticketed as such (extra taxes?). [Using stopover for transit is no longer possible since 2021/22?]
3. The open-jaw points do not count towards your stopover allowance. Neither does the final city on the itinerary
4. You must start and end in the same country.
5. To determine the miles required, add up all flight sectors on your itinerary and look up the award chart (ignore the distance between open-jaw points). gcmap.com is handy, though best to go via asiamiles' calculator.
6. Co-terminals (NRT/HND, LHR/LCY) do not count as an open-jaw (takes up 1 stopover/transit allowance).

If an itinerary clears the above, it is valid, though you may have to argue a lot back and forth. Keep your patience suit on and and keep referring to the terms & conditions ("What in the T&Cs makes this invalid" tends to work).

For the examples below, x=transit, o=stopover, and capitalized alphabets represent airports.

Some valid routings that have commonly been pushed back on
1. "You cannot go through the start, destination, or enroute point more than once". A-oB-oA-oC-oD-A is a valid itinerary.
2. "An open-jaw point is a stopover". A-oB-oC-D//E-oF-G//H-oI-oJ-A is valid, as is A-oB-xC-D//E-oF-G//H-xI-oJ-oK-oL-A.

Other tips
1. Tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of issuance. Potentially a pain when planning that dream RTW trip involving LATAM/AA which release seats 330 days out, that you're trying to tee-in with CX award seats released a year out.
2. A combination of BA/AA/LATAM/QF sites works well to research availability (look for saver availability)
3. You can go crazy on the routings- A-oB-A//C-oD-C//E-A is fine if A,B,E are in country/Region # 1, and, C,D are at the other end of the world.

Print Wikipost

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by percysmith
No it's not. It's finding the turnaround to which the both the route going to that destination and the route going from that destination are lowest.

Illustrative example:
HKG-MEL-SYD-HKG is Zone D HKG-MEL-SYD or MEL-SYD-HKG >5,000mi
But HKG-MEL-CBR-SYD-HKG is Zone C because HKG-MEL-CBR and CBR-SYD-HKG are <5,000 mi.

The turnaround point can be a stopover, transit or open jaw beginning or end (frequent erroneous belief is turnaround point is an additional stopover quota - it is not. Two stopover two transit two open jaw still apply)

In your case unfortunately neither making DPS nor NRT the turnaround point works for you http://www.gcmap.com/dist?P=mem-clt-...ps-nrt-dfw-mem . You're still exceeding 10,000mi either way.
Thanks. That helps with the mileage calculation I'm trying to figure out. I feel like I'm going down a rabbit hole and have twisted myself into madness trying to figure this out. I don't want to waste more time on this if it doesn't follow the routing rules. Despite being in the points game for 5 years now, I still don't know how to term my itinerary points (transit vs stopover vs open jaw vs turnabout). Here's what I'm trying to do:

MEM-CLT-ORD(or JFK)- HKG [stopover]
HKG-DPS [stopover ? turnabout ?]
DPS-HKG-NRT [stopover or open jaw? this could alt be DPS-KUL-NRT]
NRT-ORD(or JFK)-CLT-MEM

I need to get 3 carriers in, I think to qualify for the multi-carrier award. If I'm doing this right, I think it would be 160k in J. If this doesn't work, can anyone suggest an itinerary that will? Can go to 220k per ticket, but I need 5x pax (will likely have to be split like 3x J and 2x F or something b/c hard to find 5x on these flights). I'm seeing some sporadic availability on CX in J for 5, but very rare to find even find 3 J and 2 F on JAL flights.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:00 am

Programs: MH, CX, SQ
Hi guys, would like to ask if i redeemed a flight in economy for multi carrier award and would like to upgrade one sector to business using miles. Is this possible?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Upgrading one sector not allowed.

And don't redeem a separate business ticket for that sector only - because all sectors on a multi-carrier award needs to be used in sequence. You cannot skip a sector.

Downgrading is allowed (e.g. a business class ticket but for one sector the aircraft only has economy class or if business class is full - then you can fly in economy for that sector.)
Old Aug 3, 2017, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by Psychiatrist

And don't redeem a separate business ticket for that sector only - because all sectors on a multi-carrier award needs to be used in sequence. You cannot skip a sector.

Downgrading is allowed (e.g. a business class ticket but for one sector the aircraft only has economy class or if business class is full - then you can fly in economy for that sector.)
Thanks Psychiatrist for the info...also if redeeming a business class multi carrier award, does AA release their business award flights to asia miles?
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BurnT
Thanks Psychiatrist for the info...also if redeeming a business class multi carrier award, does AA release their business award flights to asia miles?
I generally check AA availability on BA website. If it's available on BA website, then I've had no problems redeeming it with Asia Miles.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:13 pm

deleted

Last edited by BurnT; Aug 5, 2017 at 2:11 am
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: BAEC GOLD

Let's say I have a sector in Y on a J MCA, no availibility of J seat at time of booking, and as the date creeps in a seat open up. Can I call and make the changes from Y to J
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by db07mufan
Let's say I have a sector in Y on a J MCA, no availibility of J seat at time of booking, and as the date creeps in a seat open up. Can I call and make the changes from Y to J
Should be fine - but you'll have to pay the change fee (?US$40) and the change in taxes (if applicable)
Old Aug 11, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Can someone tell me what the change fee would be to add a USA domestic leg onto a CX inbound flight? There will be no additional miles b/c in same mileage zone/range. 5 tickets total (not sure if first one is more $ like with some airlines).
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Can someone tell me what the change fee would be to add a USA domestic leg onto a CX inbound flight? There will be no additional miles b/c in same mileage zone/range. 5 tickets total (not sure if first one is more $ like with some airlines).
Adding a flight (which was originally not there) means you are changing the itinerary completely.

That involves cancelling your ticket (US$120) and the taxes will be refunded to you. You then issue a new ticket.

Note that CX cannot guarantee that partner airline seat availability once you cancel - they can (usually) only hold seats for CX/KA flights only. So you might not be able to book back any non-CX/KA flights once you cancel.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:20 pm

Adding a flight (which was originally not there) means you are changing the itinerary completely.

That involves cancelling your ticket (US$120) and the taxes will be refunded to you. You then issue a new ticket.

Note that CX cannot guarantee that partner airline seat availability once you cancel - they can (usually) only hold seats for CX/KA flights only. So you might not be able to book back any non-CX/KA flights once you cancel.
Okay. Thanks. Yeah, not worth it. The add on flight would be cheaper and easier to book separately, actually.

While I'm thinking of it: one in our party is booked in economy for the shorter leg of our trip (though still nearly 5 hours) but paying point-equivalent of J ticket b/c long haul in J. Obviously would like to try to get that short haul in J, too. Is there a waitlist for such? If a J opens up, what would that change fee be (since ticket already booked as J w/ points)?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Definitely waitlist for the J flight - but waitlisting is only available for CX/KA.

There will be a change fee of US$40.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:31 pm

Definitely waitlist for the J flight - but waitlisting is only available for CX/KA.

There will be a change fee of US$40.
YES. Awesome. $40 is def worth it, though it is a "regional" flight DPS-HKG. On CX, so that's good. How do I waitlist?

Also, since you are well-versed in CX, can you help me with something? I'd really appreciate: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28679029-post25.html
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
YES. Awesome. $40 is def worth it, though it is a "regional" flight DPS-HKG. On CX, so that's good. How do I waitlist?

Also, since you are well-versed in CX, can you help me with something? I'd really appreciate: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28679029-post25.html
Call AsiaMiles and ask for waitlist.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 5:48 pm

Where can I find the $40 change fee for CX to move from econ to business (paid points for J for all/remainder of journey)? I only see $150 on their policies page.

Also curious what a date change fee would be for an award ticket (includes a stopover on original and would also on new dates).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.