Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ernestnywang
oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards Wiki v0.1

Rules
1. You need two non CX/KA carriers
2. You are allowed 5 stopovers, 2 transits (<=24hrs) and 2 open jaws. You can use your stopover allowance as a transit, possibly by asking for it to be ticketed as such (extra taxes?). [Using stopover for transit is no longer possible since 2021/22?]
3. The open-jaw points do not count towards your stopover allowance. Neither does the final city on the itinerary
4. You must start and end in the same country.
5. To determine the miles required, add up all flight sectors on your itinerary and look up the award chart (ignore the distance between open-jaw points). gcmap.com is handy, though best to go via asiamiles' calculator.
6. Co-terminals (NRT/HND, LHR/LCY) do not count as an open-jaw (takes up 1 stopover/transit allowance).

If an itinerary clears the above, it is valid, though you may have to argue a lot back and forth. Keep your patience suit on and and keep referring to the terms & conditions ("What in the T&Cs makes this invalid" tends to work).

For the examples below, x=transit, o=stopover, and capitalized alphabets represent airports.

Some valid routings that have commonly been pushed back on
1. "You cannot go through the start, destination, or enroute point more than once". A-oB-oA-oC-oD-A is a valid itinerary.
2. "An open-jaw point is a stopover". A-oB-oC-D//E-oF-G//H-oI-oJ-A is valid, as is A-oB-xC-D//E-oF-G//H-xI-oJ-oK-oL-A.

Other tips
1. Tickets are valid for 1 year from the date of issuance. Potentially a pain when planning that dream RTW trip involving LATAM/AA which release seats 330 days out, that you're trying to tee-in with CX award seats released a year out.
2. A combination of BA/AA/LATAM/QF sites works well to research availability (look for saver availability)
3. You can go crazy on the routings- A-oB-A//C-oD-C//E-A is fine if A,B,E are in country/Region # 1, and, C,D are at the other end of the world.

Print Wikipost

oneworld Multi-Carrier Awards - sharing ideas

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: MPC, Skyteam, SPG, Marriott, IHG, Hyatt, Hilton
Oneworld Multi-Carrier Award Ticket redemption using Asiamiles

I have a business class reservation for the following oneworld multicarrier award redemption using Asiamiles: Total 190K miles

Shanghai to Hong Kong on CX (stopover)
Hong Kong to New York/JFK on CX (stopover)
New York/JFK to Lima, Peru on Lan Chile (open-jaw)
Santiago, Chile to Auckland, New Zealand on Lan Chile (stopover)
Auckland to Hong Kong on CX (stopover)
Hong Kong to Shanghai on CX (stopover)
Shanghai to Tokyo on JAL (open-jaw)
Osaka to Shanghai on JAL

All the above in Business class. 190K Asiamiles.

Is this a good deal? Or would I be able to find a better deal elsewhere using my Asiamiles or redeeming my credit card awards points on other programs?

Would appreciate other's perspectives. Thanks.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:07 pm

Programs: Lowly CX & IHG
Haven't seen a thread on "normal" award chart, so please excuse me for asking here (or redirect me to another thread)

Having a budget of just 50k AM, for J, mainly for HK-Japan, does the following count as Zone B (<2500mi) within "two stopovers, two transfers or one open-jaw" rule:
--
CX HKG-HND (transit)
JL HND-AKJ (open-jaw)
CX NGO-HKG (stopover)
CX HKG-KHH (stopover)
CX KHH-HKG
(http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=hkg-hnd...go-hkg-khh-hkg)
--
and could the single JL domestic flight be added as such per the "JL round-trip only" rule?

Would appreciate any other ideas to consume the residue distance after the Japan-HKG segment.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 9:09 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I'll just comment on JL round trip - a JL segment can be added as an Asia Miles round-trip redemption or a oneworld award (which by definition is a round-trip). It's just AM does not allow redemption of JL segments as (Asia Miles award) one-ways.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 10:17 am

Is this route possible?

While I was planning 2 trips(to Oceania and North America), I saw Asia Miles award chart for Oneworld partner.

Cities that I want to go :

1) Auckland
2) Sydney
3) Vancouver
4) Toronto
5) New York

And I made route like this :

1) NRT-ICN(JL/Stopover 1)
2) ICN-HKG(CX/Transfer 1)-AKL(CX/Stopover 2)
3) AKL-SYD(QF/Stopover 3)
4) SYD-HKG(CX/Transfer 2)-CJU or PUS(Cathay Dragon/Open jaw 1)
5) ICN-HKG(CX/Stopover 4)
6) HKG-YYZ(CX/Open jaw 2)
7) YVR-JFK(CX/Stopover 5)
8) JFK-NRT(JL)

It was so confusing but I made that route above within 5 stopovers, 2 transfers and 2 open jaws.

Is this route possible?

If it is not, which segment do I need to fix?

[Another Question]

How long can I stay in each city that I made stopover or open jaw??
(From 24 hrs to ?? days?)

Last edited by glv34; Jul 13, 2017 at 10:20 am Reason: Adding some contents
Old Jul 16, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: MH, CX, SQ
Holding certain sector routes for a limited time

Hi, planning to redeem a multi carrier award. Is it possible to hold certain routes first while waiting for others to open up? Or all routes/sectors must be available to be able to proceed with reservation? Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2017, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by BurnT
Hi, planning to redeem a multi carrier award. Is it possible to hold certain routes first while waiting for others to open up? Or all routes/sectors must be available to be able to proceed with reservation? Thanks!
Don't think you can hold too many days. I recently booked a multi-carrier ticket with CX and they were only able to hold the tickets for the miles transfer as it involves other airlines.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BurnT
Generally, CX/KA flights can be held for you - with the deadline determined by them. My guess is higher status = longer hold / more flexibility.

They usually cannot hold partner airlines.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond / SQ Gold / Bonvoy Platinum / Hyatt Globalist / Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by glv34
Is this route possible? If it is not, which segment do I need to fix?
5) ICN-HKG(CX/Stopover 4)
6) HKG-YYZ(CX/Open jaw 2)
7) YVR-JFK(CX/Stopover 5)

This is not an open jaw. It needs to be a different city - in the above plan HKG is either a stopover (>24 hours) or a transfer (<24 hours).

Originally Posted by glv34
How long can I stay in each city that I made stopover or open jaw??
(From 24 hrs to ?? days?)
As long as you want. The entire ticket must be completed within 1 year.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:20 pm
kkl

Is this possible? Not a oneworld multi award. Couldnt find a thread similar to this regarding normal CX redemptions

PER-HKG CX
HKG-MNL(stop)CX
MNL-NRT(destination) JL
NRT-MNL(stop) JL
MNL-HKG CX
HKG-PER CX
Old Jul 18, 2017, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kkl
Is this possible? Not a oneworld multi award. Couldnt find a thread similar to this regarding normal CX redemptions

PER-HKG CX
HKG-MNL(stop)CX
MNL-NRT(destination) JL
NRT-MNL(stop) JL
MNL-HKG CX
HKG-PER CX
You are allowed two stopovers, two transfers or one open-jaw.

From your list, I assume:

PER-HKG transfer
HKG-MNL stopover
MNL-NRT stopover
NRT-MNL stopover
MNL-HKG transfer
HKG-PER

So you have gone over your limit.

There's no such thing as a "destination" in the middle of your trip.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 7:38 am

Sorry i am tagging on another normal return award question. Does anyone know if these 2 are possible?

1. Normal Round Trip Award - PEY 108K Miles

HKG-JFK Stopover (CX)
JFK-YVR Stopover (CX)
YVR-HKG Open jaw (CX)
BKK-Hong Kong. (RJ)

2. OW Multi Carrier award Business 140K Miles

HKG-YYZ Open Jaw (CX)
JFK-YVR Stopover (CX)
YVR-NAR Transfer (JAL)
NAR-HKG Stopover (CX)
HKG-OKA Stopover (CX)
OKA-HKG Open Jaw (CX)
BKK-HKG. (RJ)

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by twonga; Jul 28, 2017 at 8:48 am
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:00 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by twonga

HKG-YYZ Open Jaw
JFK-YVR Stopover
YVR-HKG Stopover
HKG-OKA Stopover
OKA-HKG Open Jaw
RGN-HKG.
Don't you need three airlines?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Don't you need three airlines?
edited

I just want to know if the routing will be allowed on both itinerary's

1. Normal Round Trip Award - PEY 108K Miles

HKG-JFK Stopover (CX)
JFK-YVR Stopover (CX)
YVR-HKG Open jaw (CX)
BKK-Hong Kong. (RJ)

HKG-YYZ Open Jaw (CX)
JFK-YVR Stopover (CX)
YVR-NAR Transfer (JAL)
NAR-HKG Stopover (CX)
HKG-OKA Stopover (CX)
OKA-HKG Open Jaw (CX)
BKK-HKG. (RJ)

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by twonga; Jul 28, 2017 at 10:10 am
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Wondering which mileage category this would fall into for CX (two carriers incl CX). Total mileage is 17900. Outbound would include stopover in HKG and is >10k miles. Inbound is 6800.

mem-clt-ord-hkg-dps, nrt-dfw-mem
http://www.gcmap.com/dist?P=mem-clt-...s,+nrt-dfw-mem

It would be great if CX would just calculate 17900/2, but I can't find any indication of how they do this.

I tried the CX calculator but the routing here is too complicated for that.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 6:55 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
It would be great if CX would just calculate 17900/2, but I can't find any indication of how they do this.
No it's not. It's finding the turnaround to which the both the route going to that destination and the route going from that destination are lowest.

Illustrative example:
HKG-MEL-SYD-HKG is Zone D HKG-MEL-SYD or MEL-SYD-HKG >5,000mi
But HKG-MEL-CBR-SYD-HKG is Zone C because HKG-MEL-CBR and CBR-SYD-HKG are <5,000 mi.

The turnaround point can be a stopover, transit or open jaw beginning or end (frequent erroneous belief is turnaround point is an additional stopover quota - it is not. Two stopover two transit two open jaw still apply)

In your case unfortunately neither making DPS nor NRT the turnaround point works for you http://www.gcmap.com/dist?P=mem-clt-...ps-nrt-dfw-mem . You're still exceeding 10,000mi either way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.