Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

How exactly does CX Waitlist work for awards?

How exactly does CX Waitlist work for awards?

Old Feb 13, 2018, 5:57 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
@kkl normally is he other way round tho (online no phone yes).

Is it still available?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:07 pm
kkl

Originally Posted by percysmith
@kkl normally is he other way round tho (online no phone yes).

Is it still available?
PER-HKG-BKK 9th March in business

CX170 is available on separate legs but on waitlist if searched on the 2 leg journey.

I'd assume CX would let me confirm 170 and wait for the last leg hkg-bkk to clear but was told whole itinerary needs to be as it's connecting flight?

Via phone
Old Feb 13, 2018, 6:34 pm

No, can be leg by leg, unless married https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...-new-post.html

what if you create waitlist for HK-Bangkok leg and add CX170 by phone?
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by kkl
CX170 is available on separate legs but on waitlist if searched on the 2 leg journey.
Originally Posted by percysmith
No, can be leg by leg, unless married https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...-new-post.html

what if you create waitlist for HK-Bangkok leg and add CX170 by phone?
percysmith is correct They should let you waitlist leg by leg. Did they tell you CX170 is available separately or did you check that on their web site? I never trusted their website.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:57 am
kkl

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
percysmith is correct They should let you waitlist leg by leg. Did they tell you CX170 is available separately or did you check that on their web site? I never trusted their website.
It's shows up both on phone and website.

I want to confirm cx170 while waiting for the other leg to clear

Seems like flights with more than one leg always take a longer time to clear even if both legs are available separately
Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:07 am

Newbie question here, but have searched the thread as best I can: I can see outright availability for CBR-MEL (QF, J) and MEL-HKG (CX, PE) and I am keen to book given I need to be on a specific flight (no Y availability on the QF leg, so I realise the whole itinerary will price at J rates - still cheaper than QFF). If I confirm and ticket in PE and waitlist for J, is there a fee to re-ticket in the higher class? Are there any other issues to be aware of - for example would my waitlist chances be better if I book the QF leg separately and the MEL-HKG leg is standalone?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 5:57 am

//is there a fee to re-ticket in the higher class

yes

//is there any other issue

cant check thru at cbr. But how much time do you have in Mel? If lots, doesn't matter
Old Mar 7, 2018, 8:28 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
3 J class awards on a flight ~3.5 weeks out opened to partners overnight while my waitlist for SO didn't clear. MPO agent was confused as well. First time seeing this happen
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I'm 2 weeks out with 5/6 open seats in F and still no news. Good thing I have a confirmed flight the next morning if I don't clear soon.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 5:07 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
3 J class awards on a flight ~3.5 weeks out opened to partners overnight while my waitlist for SO didn't clear. MPO agent was confused as well. First time seeing this happen
That’s a bummer! I Guess an issue with timing since waitlists are a batch process (probably daily run?)
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by jagmeets

That’s a bummer! I Guess an issue with timing since waitlists are a batch process (probably daily run?)
That may be the case for partners' awards. Should not be the case for MPC.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 9:34 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by jagmeets

Originally Posted by cxfan1960
That may be the case for partners' awards. Should not be the case for MPC.
I do hope it was an odd shenanigan but it could be what jagmeets suggests. FWIW, both of us were closely monitoring the captioned flight. It had Priority 2 and Priority 1 gradually open over the past few days, but on the very day this happened we snapped one seat by partner award (my own ticket), then saw standard redemption available on cx.com, but SO's booking was still waitlisted. Maybe something like partners and MPC/AM 'fresh' redemptions having it at 12mn, but waitlists not clearing til 9am (I called MPC at 8am hkt), but still not what's supposed to happen.

The agent was certainly surprised. Well, she also offered to open up a seat for SO on our desired connecting flight of choice (ha...giving it away...it's HKG-SIN A33P on Easter Monday afternoon, nice enough given the low seat count and 'peakness') but I declined as I didn't want to ticket and pay for SO's award just yet.

(to clear up the confusion, it's just SO connecting so that's why I grabbed the first segment from a partner alone.)
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Is anyone able to help me check the situation on CX246 CPH-HKG on 11th June? There's currently 1x J award open but want to know the chances of another one opening up.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: Asiamiles
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll
Is anyone able to help me check the situation on CX246 CPH-HKG on 11th June? There's currently 1x J award open but want to know the chances of another one opening up.
it is wide open
CX 246 CPH
06/11/18 2:15 PM HKG 06/12/18 6:35 AM 359
J9 C9 D9 I9 W9 R9 E9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9
Kilian Zoll likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Originally Posted by benyiu
it is wide open
CX 246 CPH
06/11/18 2:15 PM HKG 06/12/18 6:35 AM 359
J9 C9 D9 I9 W9 R9 E9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9
Is that a good or bad thing in terms of award seats being made available?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.