Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

How exactly does CX Waitlist work for awards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How exactly does CX Waitlist work for awards?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2015, 5:24 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
So...I have a confirmed one-way booking in U class booked by Avios on X date, but I would really want to travel on the X-1th in fact. No availability showing for X-1th, but AM waitlist open. I just tried to use my (balance-less) AM account to waitlist for the X-1th and it worked (I got a ref...that means I'm waitlisted right?)

So assuming that there are some AM waitlist quotas to fill for U class before opening up back to partners when it comes to almost to departure time (for X-1th), should I just use the AM accounts of all my family members to waitlist for the remaining U class spots, so when it comes to issuance deadline it'll just cancel out (we all have AM accounts with 0 miles) and me with my legit Avios U class booking get a greater chance to book in at that time?

The ticketing deadline is X-9th, if it matters...
FTG said what you suggested might work:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...l#post25593767
http://www.frugaltravelguy.com/2015/...advantage.html
Old Oct 25, 2015, 10:33 pm

Hello everyone! Been lurking here and have found super helpful advice over the years, but this is my first post. Have two questions for you seasoned folks:

1) I am flying JFK->HKG->Melbourne in about a month. I purchased R-class PE return ticket, and have been waitlisted for J-class business upgrade since July 21. Is there anything I should be doing, other than waiting for confirmation? I hope you guys don't tell me that I should have been calling Cathay every day, I would kick myself! But whatever the case may be, just give it to me straight so I will know for next time!

My flights, in case it helps to know:

25 Nov 2015, Wed CX841 JFK HKG 09:00 14:05(+1) 77W
26 Nov 2015, Thu CX135 HKG MEL 19:10 07:30(+1) 333

07 Dec 2015, Mon CX178 MEL HKG 00:50 07:00 333
07 Dec 2015, Mon CX830 HKG JFK 09:35 12:10 77W

2) Will they do partial upgrades, like if only certain legs are available or is it all or nothing?

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:39 am

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by suziemay
Hello everyone! Been lurking here and have found super helpful advice over the years, but this is my first post. Have two questions for you seasoned folks:

1) I am flying JFK->HKG->Melbourne in about a month. I purchased R-class PE return ticket, and have been waitlisted for J-class business upgrade since July 21. Is there anything I should be doing, other than waiting for confirmation? I hope you guys don't tell me that I should have been calling Cathay every day, I would kick myself! But whatever the case may be, just give it to me straight so I will know for next time!

2) Will they do partial upgrades, like if only certain legs are available or is it all or nothing?

Thanks in advance!
Hello.

#1: Alas, I think you should be calling MPC regularly. The CX waitlist is not reliable, and there are a lot of partners who will gobble up availability pretty quickly if it bypasses the waiting list. It will basically be a "SOL" situation if an award bypasses the waitlist by mistake and goes straight to inventory...where it's likely a partner will see it and grab it.

I'm not sure exactly on the timing (aka, when does CX release seats to the MPC waiting list, and whether or not this is simultaneously when the computer decides whether to release to partner award inventory), but I do know a.) from experience the MPC waiting list doesn't always work correctly, I've had it fail on me on numerous occasions (aka, seats opened up but I wasn't cleared, then they went to the inventory pool, someone else got them, and too bad for me) and b.) there is a lot of partner demand for CX premium cabin seats.

#2: Yes, CX will process partial upgrades for you. And there is at least some good news here...if you clear one way now, and the other way 2 days before departure, CX will refund you the mileage difference so you only pay a round-trip mileage equivalent.

As a final word, if you do discover a situation whereby you got screwed - aka you were patiently on the waitlist, but the waitlist failed and your seat went to someone else - I would call CX and complain. If the cabin is relatively open for sale they **might** release a seat for you. CX has a strong incentive to protect MPC upgrade awards; they are, after all, perhaps the only differentiating incentive to bank miles to AM/MPC, since partners cannot upgrade tickets with partner currency...only AM can be used for upgrades. CX has built in a nice niche by compelling passengers like yourselves to buy up to Y/B/H/K in Y, or W/R in PEY, with hope to use mileage for an upgrade to the higher class. Done right, this system is built to help CX maximize yield and gives CX some cabin flexibility. I think your argument would fall on receptive ears if you complained that the damn waitlist failed you, you specifically paid for R class for the option to upgrade, and what the hell is the point of buying R class in the future if CX can't even follow the system they've put in place themselves.
timesnaps likes this.

Last edited by QRC3288; Oct 26, 2015 at 12:45 am
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288
Hello.

#1: Alas, I think you should be calling MPC regularly. The CX waitlist is not reliable, and there are a lot of partners who will gobble up availability pretty quickly if it bypasses the waiting list. It will basically be a "SOL" situation if an award bypasses the waitlist by mistake and goes straight to inventory...where it's likely a partner will see it and grab it.

I'm not sure exactly on the timing (aka, when does CX release seats to the MPC waiting list, and whether or not this is simultaneously when the computer decides whether to release to partner award inventory), but I do know a.) from experience the MPC waiting list doesn't always work correctly, I've had it fail on me on numerous occasions (aka, seats opened up but I wasn't cleared, then they went to the inventory pool, someone else got them, and too bad for me) and b.) there is a lot of partner demand for CX premium cabin seats.

#2: Yes, CX will process partial upgrades for you. And there is at least some good news here...if you clear one way now, and the other way 2 days before departure, CX will refund you the mileage difference so you only pay a round-trip mileage equivalent.

As a final word, if you do discover a situation whereby you got screwed - aka you were patiently on the waitlist, but the waitlist failed and your seat went to someone else - I would call CX and complain. If the cabin is relatively open for sale they **might** release a seat for you. CX has a strong incentive to protect MPC upgrade awards; they are, after all, perhaps the only differentiating incentive to bank miles to AM/MPC, since partners cannot upgrade tickets with partner currency...only AM can be used for upgrades. CX has built in a nice niche by compelling passengers like yourselves to buy up to Y/B/H/K in Y, or W/R in PEY, with hope to use mileage for an upgrade to the higher class. Done right, this system is built to help CX maximize yield and gives CX some cabin flexibility. I think your argument would fall on receptive ears if you complained that the damn waitlist failed you, you specifically paid for R class for the option to upgrade, and what the hell is the point of buying R class in the future if CX can't even follow the system they've put in place themselves.
Ahhhhh, goddammit. I was afraid of that. Thank you very much for the response, I shall be calling them every day starting today! You got me all fired up now
Old Oct 26, 2015, 6:28 am

The official party line is upgrade redemptions process in the same bucket as straight redemptions, so assuming that line of thinking is true, OCD-driven checking of straight availability for each segment will also do the trick.

I don't see your 2747 3838 am-line manila-based agent doing this for you. General-line agents are mostly WYSIWYG - you might need a DM/GO line to open availability even for an upgrade.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
I don't see your 2747 3838 am-line manila-based agent doing this for you. General-line agents are mostly WYSIWYG - you might need a DM/GO line to open availability even for an upgrade.
Thanks for clarifying; to the poster I was replying to, I am DM and so probably have a better MPC call center experience than non DMs. I find with the call center when I have a genuinely legitimate gripe and I'm persistent, they are very good at coming through. The key words are legitimate and persistence, however. IME, buying an R fare and being bypassed on the waitlist is a very legitimate gripe - the most attractive thing about R fares are the ability to upgrade using AM, and since CX has a pretty poor (tech wise) waitlist they're kinda shooting themselves in the foot. IMO they should be more aggressive releasing award inventory (aka: more customer friendly) to upgrade AM redemptions, since they're incentivizing economy and PEY pax to buy up, and CX would also be enhancing the value of its own loyalty program to boot. It's such low hanging fruit I don't know why they're asleep at the switch at CX Loyalty Programs or whatever the MPC/AM entity is officially called.

Anyway, if you can get through to AM....I'd make a habit of calling regularly. And if you do happen to see award inventory appear on KVS, or BA or whatever you might use, call immediately and complain because you got bypassed.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 9:34 am

Qrc3288 haha I wonder will your AM-level Manila agent understand your what you're going on about...
Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:25 am

The official party line is upgrade redemptions process in the same bucket as straight redemptions, so assuming that line of thinking is true, OCD-driven checking of straight availability for each segment will also do the trick.

@percysmith: Where does one go to check award availability other than on the Cathay site (or is this what you mean)? This I can do, I'm already OCD-checking on countless other things, what's another to add to the list that could potentially yield significant benefit!
Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by suziemay
@percysmith: Where does one go to check award availability other than on the Cathay site (or is this what you mean)? This I can do, I'm already OCD-checking on countless other things, what's another to add to the list that could potentially yield significant benefit!
You can use the KVS tool (paid service) to check Cathay's own award inventory, and the British Airways Executive Club website to search partner availability (aka, what CX has opened up to their OW and other redemption partners). If you see inventory available on the latter but you haven't cleared you should call MPC/AM immediately because that means the waitlist didn't work.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:52 am

You can use the KVS tool (paid service) to check Cathay's own award inventory, and the British Airways Executive Club website to search partner availability (aka, what CX has opened up to their OW and other redemption partners). If you see inventory available on the latter but you haven't cleared you should call MPC/AM immediately because that means the waitlist didn't work.
Gotcha. Thank you! I just called Marco Polo customer service and the call was 100% useless Will try and figure out inventory through other means and commence OCD-level calling
Old Oct 26, 2015, 11:29 am

I've tried KVS - it offers one-click checking of CX and BA's inventories as QRC3288 explained above.

It doesn't show any more than what you can search by yourself on cathaypacific.com or britishairways.com

However a significant downer (at least for me) is KVS did not go through my corporate gateway. It did work when I started my subscription - clandestinely in my case as KVS is a program and we weren't really meant to be installing them (I ran mine off a USB) - and then someone in my IT changed something and I wasn't able to use KVS on my work computer anymore. My home KVS still worked fine so it's not their fault. Owing to its status as a program I cannot raise a Helpdesk ticket without triggering an audit either.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 11:32 am

I tried checking BA's redemption availability, and it's only showing one of the 4 flights I need available.

Anyone want to venture to guess how my upgrade chances are looking like? I'm flying Nov 25, day before Thanksgiving out of JFK so maybe that's hurting my chances a little. If the upgrade is not looking good, I may give up on this entirely and just go for cheapest economy fare!

FYI I'm flying JFK>>HKG>>MEL
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:09 pm

841 and 178 are baxstatds to upgrade. Waiting for some 178 J seats myself (not your dates).

They may become available...48 to 24 hours before departure. At that time you won't have any waitlist as they end 96 hours before departure, so you're up against all the grAAber last minute artists on a first come first served basis.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:23 pm

841 and 178 are baxstatds to upgrade. Waiting for some 178 J seats myself (not your dates).

They may become available...48 to 24 hours before departure. At that time you won't have any waitlist as they end 96 hours before departure, so you're up against all the grAAber last minute artists on a first come first served basis.
Grrr... I guess I have to decide my game plan then in the next couple of weeks! How does the first come first serve last minute upgrades work? Is it who shows up at the airport first to request during check-in, or do I need to be more crafty?
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:56 pm

No you just need to be more OCD - you need to whack the mole (call AM to process the upgrade) faster than other members and grAAbers when the seats are available (partner access will be equal to AM members close-in, but they burn a lot fewer miles on redemptions).

Oh P.S. forgot to mention 7 Dec is just after the start of the Australian school holidays so you're up against the collective onslaught of HK PRC and Taiwan Tiger Mums tearing each other to pieces for a flight home. Redemptions on them started *last* December and brings down the various redemption centres when it happens (I should know. I joined in the fray to make sure my SIL has no excuse to keep the kids in Australia for another summer).

Last edited by percysmith; Oct 26, 2015 at 1:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.