Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Class Upgrade Bidding Initiative - your feedback sought

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Class Upgrade Bidding Initiative - your feedback sought

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2014, 3:36 am

Programs: CX (elite) and a few others (non-elite)
Originally Posted by brithk
Operational upgrades are just part of it. The unpublished benefit as a diamond of getting mileage upgrades/redemptions released from inventory is to be honest more beneficial - specifically when traveling with the family. Op ups are a pure bonus but I am guessing mileage availability will suffer enormously on the back of this.
^

I absolutely agree, and if this disappears I really don't see the point of maintaining DM status
Old Jun 6, 2014, 5:33 pm
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by IanFromHKG
^

I absolutely agree, and if this disappears I really don't see the point of maintaining DM status
To Ian's point precisely, I am looking to become Diamond this year for the first time with many travels scheduled, but will this be worth it with the introduction of the new bidding system??

In light of this, I may as well continue to be SE 100 K with Air Canada for the 8th year in a row and continue being MP Gold for 2014...
Old Jun 6, 2014, 5:38 pm
Formerly known as jsfrSuperElite

Programs: Air Canada SE100K-1MM, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
^
Originally Posted by CrazyJ82
I'm not fussed about the effect this will have on op-ups. I suspect it won't be as much as we think. BA have operated a form of cheap buy-up for some time (at a fixed price) and you'll still see frequent reports about op-ups there. While CX can capture some marginal revenue from this auction scheme, I suspect the universe of people who will bid in the end is smaller than they think.

My bigger concern will be award availability either for full redemptions or upgrades. This, unlike op-ups, is a published benefit (even if not guaranteed on any specific flight). Already I see a huge problem insofar as it sounds like auction upgrades will be processed four or so days before the flight. To the extent people do buy upgrades, it will cut down on availability for instant mileage upgrades on day of departure, let alone close-in redemptions. I'm generally not for threatening to leave over any little thing, but if award availability materially decreases I would take my business elsewhere.

Not that CX cares, given this sham feedback process, but if they're now willing to lower the revenue bar for premium cabins by instituting an auction process, they could ease the blow by making E fares upgradeable with miles. Other than lower award availability, I can't think of a quicker way to alienate their most frequent customers than to offer a discounted way for occasional fliers to upgrade with cash while soaking loyal customers by making us buy R fares to use CX's own loyalty currency.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
CX is always the premium airline and the best.

We in the USA unfortunately don't have CX. But now CX flyers are going to finally taste the feeling of buying a J class ticket in United when 90% of it's J class ticket's were simply Complimentary premier upgrades.

This new system implemented by Air China is being really annoying also.

Seems like all airlines should adapt. If anything UA should do that instead of offering CPU's
Old Jun 7, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: CX DM, TK Elite, Hilton DM, Shangrila DM
Originally Posted by IanFromHKG
^

Agreed. DM status has gradually been eroded and this is something I have mentioned to CX management on numerous occasions. It is also frustrating that CX does not seem to value feedback; perhaps it is their perception that travellers have to fly them or that they are a premium airline. Well, this may be what they think but reputations are hard won and easily lost.

This proposal is simply a bad idea!

I do have optionality with whom I fly; in fact, I have pushed hard for CX considering they are always much more expensive and my company is not convinced of the benefits of flying CX. I think they may be right ......
Old Jun 7, 2014, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

I have a feeling ivan chu is bring cx in line with air china service levels
Old Jun 7, 2014, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
CX is always the premium airline and the best.

We in the USA unfortunately don't have CX. But now CX flyers are going to finally taste the feeling of buying a J class ticket in United when 90% of it's J class ticket's were simply Complimentary premier upgrades.

This new system implemented by Air China is being really annoying also.

Seems like all airlines should adapt. If anything UA should do that instead of offering CPU's
What is Air China's new system?
Old Jun 7, 2014, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by IncyWincy
What is Air China's new system?
Copying the CX system lol

Bidding for Business class tickets from Economy only for direct bookings, excluding award travel and partnered bookings
Old Jun 7, 2014, 9:52 pm

Damage limitation

Whoever Agency Guy is, this is purely and simply an exercise in damage limitation. This was always going to happen way before AG came onto the board suggesting if CX did this and that, what would our reactions be?

He was sent here to guage the fallout.

Its a shame that AG WOULD/could not come clean and stat facts and it needed the CEO of CX via apple daily to out the fact that this was a done deal.

No credibility in my eyes..

Is 253 the better plane to catch a cheap upgrade vs say 251 or 255.. It will become a game and there will be better flights to catch that will give you more chance to pay less for the same product.

BTW I have been a diamond card for the last 10 years and if it means i can pay less to get the same seat i am now purchasing i most certainly will do that, so the us$108K i spent with the airline last year might become us$75K with the same amount of flights.

Might be a reason to open a bottle of Krug.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:19 am

Programs: QF Platinum, Former CX Diamond, TG Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Amex Platinum
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cxlondon
Whoever Agency Guy is, this is purely and simply an exercise in damage limitation. This was always going to happen way before AG came onto the board suggesting if CX did this and that, what would our reactions be?

He was sent here to guage the fallout.

Its a shame that AG WOULD/could not come clean and stat facts and it needed the CEO of CX via apple daily to out the fact that this was a done deal.

No credibility in my eyes..

Is 253 the better plane to catch a cheap upgrade vs say 251 or 255.. It will become a game and there will be better flights to catch that will give you more chance to pay less for the same product.

BTW I have been a diamond card for the last 10 years and if it means i can pay less to get the same seat i am now purchasing i most certainly will do that, so the us$108K i spent with the airline last year might become us$75K with the same amount of flights.

Might be a reason to open a bottle of Krug.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
You may be true for short-haul international. But it is definitely not true for long-haul international.

CPU is what helps UA and other U.S. airlines to make profits, as a fact.

No airline actually drops the idea complimentary upgrade after their respective mergers.

It is true that people complain about their upgrade chance. But there is no one complaining about the benefit if they get the upgrade.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by garykung

CPU is what helps UA and other U.S. airlines to make profits, as a fact.

No airline actually drops the idea complimentary upgrade after their respective mergers.

It is true that people complain about their upgrade chance. But there is no one complaining about the benefit if they get the upgrade.
Wouldn't U.S. airlines profit less since they have to keep making more "crappy food?" Instead they could get revenue from it?
Old Jun 8, 2014, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Wouldn't U.S. airlines profit less since they have to keep making more "crappy food?" Instead they could get revenue from it?
I will not respond as this will be OT.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:06 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I wonder is CX IT up to the task though
Will we see a lot of successfully bid but unprocessed upgrades at airport?
Or will the call centres become even busier?
Old Jun 9, 2014, 8:16 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Air Asia uses a third party to deal with this. I wonder if CX is doing the same, in which case their IT won't be so involved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.