Voluntary Downgrade

Old May 20, 2014, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Meh
Voluntary Downgrade

I normally fly with BA but last week flew CX HKG-LHR. On check-in I was offered a handsome sum to downgrade from J to PEY. I agreed to this sum and went to the lounge. They took my boarding card and said they would sort it out. Long story short is that 10 mins before boarding they handed me back my original boarding pass saying now there was no need. Obviously they got a cheaper offer.

I feel this unfair as I prepared myself a downgrade for the 2 hours in the lounge. IS this normal CX behaviour?
Old May 20, 2014, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stevie
Obviously they got a cheaper offer.
A brave assumption. A J passenger may have no showed or a J passenger was upgraded to F.

You travelled in the class you paid for, so no issue
Old May 20, 2014, 6:15 am
Suspended

What exactly is a "I prepared myself a downgrade for the 2 hours in the lounge"

So were you depressed during those 2 hours, and you think you should be compensated?

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
+1
Old May 20, 2014, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
A brave assumption. A J passenger may have no showed or a J passenger was upgraded to F.

This is very true. I just wish they could have told me what class I would travel 10 mins before boarding.
Old May 20, 2014, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG

So were you depressed during those 2 hours, and you think you should be compensated?

+1
I was not depressed. I just had a different mindset having to sit in an economy seat for 13 hours rather than a J seat. I do not think I should get compensation, I never mentioned that. My point was that I wish CX followed through with their offer instead of not doing it at a late stage.

So I hope this clears up your confusion and eye rolling, and general aggressiveness towards my post.
Old May 20, 2014, 6:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
CX did the same thing as almost all carriers do. They solicit volunteers in case there is an actual oversell (which can't really occur until the flight is about to close) as opposed to an overbook.

There are two ways to do this. Either way until the flight is about to close and then start soliciting volunteers, processing new seating and compensation -- or offering the DG in advance.

If you did not receive your new Y BP when you accepted the DG, it was tentative and handled no differently than it would have been by any other carrier.
Old May 20, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Quote:

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG

+1

I was not depressed. I just had a different mindset having to sit in an economy seat for 13 hours rather than a J seat. I do not think I should get compensation, I never mentioned that. My point was that I wish CX followed through with their offer instead of not doing it at a late stage.

So I hope this clears up your confusion and eye rolling, and general aggressiveness towards my post.
I suspect a certain amount of this disappointment was hoping for a cash windfall from the downgrade and instead getting what you'd paid for?

Just goes to show no good deed goes unpunished. CX probably thought yet were doing you a huge favor by not downgrading you!
Old May 20, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Did you care asking what the form of payment would be for the downgrade? If it was cash (sometimes the case, certainly preferred by PAX, and negotiable), then nothing is finalized until you received the payment
Old May 20, 2014, 9:45 am

I wonder when offering the downgrade offer, did the CX staff mention that the offer is subject to whether the seat is needed when check-in closes.
Old May 20, 2014, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

I did know the process and am much clearer now. I thought if they offered the DG and the price of which, then that was the deal done. When I was in the lounge I kept waiting for them to approach me and did not interupt them as they were busy. In no way am I looking for compensation and was actually relieved when I got my original seat back.

Thanks to all for responding, with exception of person mentioning depression.
Old May 20, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Just curious - how much was the offer?
Old May 21, 2014, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rooivalk
Just curious - how much was the offer?
HK$44000 cash or thereabouts.
Old May 21, 2014, 1:28 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I have had a non-downgrade occur before. However at check in they told me that they may not need the downgrade and if it doesn't eventuate they would give me a small gift for offering (which was duty free vouchers). This was at an outport, not HKG.
Old May 21, 2014, 3:09 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
:O

You know what, the OPs nice and all that, but if it had been me, I would be really depressed!
(I'm cheap and dont pretend to not be)
Old May 21, 2014, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
WOW. 44,000 for a one-way downgrade from J to PE. If the company was paying for the ticket, I can understand the frustration.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.