Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

What Service Breakdown is Exactly CX Up to ? [vs QR to DOH]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Service Breakdown is Exactly CX Up to ? [vs QR to DOH]

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2014, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Thumbs down What Service Breakdown is Exactly CX Up to ? [vs QR to DOH]

Hello all,

I am appalled at reporting last night's experience on CX 645, HKG-DOH in Business Class, a flight which I had originally bought as QR on QR metal as part of HKG-DOH-BRU.

Shortly after my booking in March, as QR joined Oneworld, the flight became operated by CX on CX metal and as QR Codeshare 5800. Same times, same aircraft, A 330 the CX -300 version replacing the QR -200 type.

I received an email notification and thought nothing of it, except that I would get CX's 4-abreast seating instead of QR's 6 abreast, a plus if anything.

What I did not realize is that CX operates this flight with "Regional" on board service: Except for the seating arrangement, which can be debated vs QR's but I realized is certainly not better, the 9 hour "service" consisted of an extremely mediocre meal, such as those offered on CX and KA between, as an example, HKG and PVG or PEK, 2 and 3 hours flights. Bad wines, no FA interaction or attempt to make this palatable, no offering of drinks during the 8 hours after the meal, dismally sad cabin, and a 7 hour conglomerate of bored CX FAs which had nothing to do, no breakfast, no offering of snacks (although in all fairness they were mentioned on the menu), dismally cold cabin... I have had far better service on NON-Transcon Domestic US flights (much shorter, of course...).

Admittedly, the Business cabin was near empty (I can understand why...), with nobody in the 2nd Business section and nobody in Premium Economy (as in "ZERO"). Coach seemed to be near-full.

I went to take it up with the lady purser, a Japanese young woman who spoke an excellent French and addressed me in French because of my name. She was extremely cordial, acknowledged the situation, confessed that she too was appalled, but that this had become the norm.

The DOH-BRU connecting flight, QR on QR's new 787, was, of course, stellar as always, but I think of the rude awakening for those used to the x2 daily QR flights between HKG and DOH and who accidentally find themselves on that memory of former Eastern European airlines in the 1970's.

Am I missing something ?

Last edited by Cofyknsult; May 8, 2014 at 12:07 pm
Old May 8, 2014, 2:44 pm

I don't fly CX myself, but I subscribe to a few CX crew forums / blogs. From what I gathered CX has rather high staff turnover, issues with understaffing (resulting in extremely short rest period for FAs) and less than cordial labour relations, which could be a reason for the poor service. Would be interested to hear what others have to say.
Old May 8, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
I generally try to avoid "blaming the victim" in this kind of situation, and if you were disappointed, you were disappointed. Some things, like cabin temp, are subjective and they figure they can't please everyone. CX's catering is notoriously iffy, so I won't question what you say about the meal (especially since that's a subjective point anyway). Although I do wonder what sort of "FA interaction" would have made that "palatable." Perhaps a discussion for the sexy uniform thread?

But I also wonder if perhaps this is a cultural clash problem in a way. IME, CX's service standard on long-haul J boils down to "they paid to sleep, so we'll leave them alone." They wait for you to use the call button if you need something such as a drink or a snack, and will be quickly responsive when you do use it. But they won't necessarily walk through the cabin a lot doing formal drinks runs. On the snack issue, for example, had they not loaded the snacks in HKG? The normal pattern is that you'd request one when you want it. If you were using the call button and they weren't responding, or worse if they didn't properly load the catering and you went hungry, that's a legitimate complaint and might even be worth writing in about.
Old May 8, 2014, 7:18 pm

Usually I am very sympathetic to fellow flyers, but I don't really see the case here. Cabin Temp: you can keep asking the FAs to turn it up if you feel cold, FAs don't always respond but usually when you ask them enough they will appease to the people that asked often then people that don't ask.

As for interactions, CX FAs are never known to be small-talkers. But they are great at providing service that you needed, especially at J class. That's what the call button is for. I know in the USA the FAs hate it when pax used the called button and asked for a water, but that's how you notify CX FAs your needs. You can't expect FAs to be like waitresses that walks over every 15-20 minutes to ask you what do you want.

the meal on CX has been a joke for a long long time. So no surprise there.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Agree w cathay boy - cabin temp CAN be fixed if it was addressed. Even back in Y. I do that a lot cuz i always wake up in sweat. They do fix it.

Drinks run - once they know ure up for a drink they would come around. But they wont come bug you asking if you want ur first drink.

As for quality of food and drink - its not just regional. My dad complained about it just yesterday after hkg-lhr-hkg in J. Compared with QR, CX is abysmal. (I refuse to fly CX LH J paid w both price n food quality combined)

That said, would you prefer to have someone walking over you (or needing to walk over someone) as on QR 6 across? Of coz given such loads it doesnt matter.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:08 pm
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B142 Safari/8536.25)

Ps: did u sleep on qr and ask them to wake you up? When i did that they woke me up late so i didnt get a full breaky.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)
What Service Breaknown is Exactly CX Up to ?

I'm not to into this "let's hide" and wait of the call button.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyer121
I'm not to into this "let's hide" and wait of the call button.
Its annoying when youre sleeping and get waken up by FA walking however softly. If OP is tryely dissatisfied, just take qr next time.

Im curious- did OP get to go to the prem terminal?
Old May 8, 2014, 9:11 pm
Suspended

I had the same experience but on QR and not CX on the exact same route.

Major problems with QR:
No flat beds even on the supposedly 777 and the new 332
No duvet flimsy blanket
Poor pillow
Whilst ferragamo amenity kit, it is not sealed and look cheap.
The catering - much worst than CX in this flight.
I have pictures and the menu. They are worst than CX regional. They only serve a stale sandwich, soup and some salad, then for breakfast, cold congee and mediocre fruit plate.

CX serves a full supper meal with an express soup and salad option, which is much better. Also the breakfast is much better! At least the congee is hot

Many people are just blindly deceived by the plating of the meal in QR and don't actually taste the food on QR, which is much worst - especially the halah meats taste disgusting
I really don't see what the go hype is with QR.
The premium terminal. Like a zoo and def not on patch with The wing.
Also the 20-30 minute bus ride from plane to the terminal is not exactly good!

CX may not be perfect but definitely not as bad as the op make it sound like.

Also for people here complaining the crew not being attentive enough . For f sakes, it is a 1230am flight with only 7 hours in the air! I much prefer minimal service and sleep. Also cludos for the crew to make the cabin much cooler. If too cold, just use the duvet!

I don't see QR being that attentive and on their day flights it is worst, with the supposedly a la carte menu, but no one come and take the order for you - even on a 12+ hour flight. Much prefer CX fix meal timing.
Old May 8, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
Wait a second, cold cabin? I hope that is a new change - to me CX's cabin temp is better than most, but still a tad too warm for my liking!
(I shudder at the thought of travelling JL).
Old May 8, 2014, 9:43 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by jagmeets
Wait a second, cold cabin? I hope that is a new change - to me CX's cabin temp is better than most, but still a tad too warm for my liking!
(I shudder at the thought of travelling JL).
Maybe "sweat" rather than "Shudder"
Old May 8, 2014, 10:03 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
A friend of mine who was an ISM with SQ said they purposely set the cabin cold so people can sleep better, thus not having to deal with the call button as much. I prefer a cold cabin myself. You can always bundle up, but you can only strip so much when it's warm.
Old May 8, 2014, 10:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by StAIR
I don't fly CX myself, but I subscribe to a few CX crew forums / blogs. From what I gathered CX has rather high staff turnover, issues with understaffing (resulting in extremely short rest period for FAs) and less than cordial labour relations, which could be a reason for the poor service. Would be interested to hear what others have to say.
Don't see QR treat their staff any better and a lack of human rights
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/qatar...ed-519818.html
Old May 8, 2014, 10:43 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by correctioncx
Don't see QR treat their staff any better and a lack of human rights
http://www.arabianbusiness.com/qatar...ed-519818.html
Just a warning not to let this thread go off-topic debating how airlines treat their staff.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator.
Old May 8, 2014, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by kaka

If OP is tr8ely dissatisfied, just take qr next time.

Im curious- did OP get to go to the prem terminal?
YES, and then things started to go right.

I DID take QR or at least I thought so, Bought QR flight and metal, which was later changed to QR codeshare of CX metal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.