Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Clarification on F Lounge use when arriving on F, departing J (long next day transit)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clarification on F Lounge use when arriving on F, departing J (long next day transit)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by bentrmpt
But, I can visit The Arrival, correct? I'm arriving off a CX F flight.
Yes, you can. It opens until midnight.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Thanks, cxfan1960 and QRC3288.

I'll probably attempt to get into an air-side lounge with an understanding agent.

Like you mentioned in a previous comment, I might try the transit desk first.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Thanks, cxfan1960 and QRC3288.

I'll probably attempt to get into an air-side lounge with an understanding agent.

Like you mentioned in a previous comment, I might try the transit desk first.
your best bet is to be very friendly, because technically I don't think you're entitled to either J or F. I made a mistake in an earlier post implying at least you could get into J. This was incorrect; if you don't have status, technically you're not supposed to go into either J or F. So definitely the charm is what will be needed.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 12:39 am

Programs: CX DM
Couple additional things you can try :

- At ORD, try to get the check-in agent (and if that fails try the agent at the lounge) to print an F lounge invite for you in HK.

- Once in HKG, go in your nearest F lounge first. If you are admitted, ask for a lounge rentry stamp (it will be in red indicating first class) on your boarding pass when you enter or when you leave. If you are not admitted, try the other F lounge.

I had the same itinerary as you earlier this year. SFO-HKG in F, then HKG-PEK in Y the following day. No luck at ORD, but you might have better agents. In HKG, I was not let in the Pier, then I went to the Wing where I was allowed in. Got the reentry stamp when I left the Wing, and entered the Pier.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by marcuslai
Couple additional things you can try :

- At ORD, try to get the check-in agent (and if that fails try the agent at the lounge) to print an F lounge invite for you in HK.

- Once in HKG, go in your nearest F lounge first. If you are admitted, ask for a lounge rentry stamp (it will be in red indicating first class) on your boarding pass when you enter or when you leave. If you are not admitted, try the other F lounge.

I had the same itinerary as you earlier this year. SFO-HKG in F, then HKG-PEK in Y the following day. No luck at ORD, but you might have better agents. In HKG, I was not let in the Pier, then I went to the Wing where I was allowed in. Got the reentry stamp when I left the Wing, and entered the Pier.
That's great advice. Thanks! It will give me several chances to get admitted (Chicago, Pier, Wing, Transit Desk).

I realize that I'm not technically allowed in, so I'll do my best with the kindness.

I do wonder if the current policy is worth a debate...at least here on FT.

I'm flying the highest class of service possible on CX and KA to reach my destination. Hong Kong is a 24 hour city, and HKIA is a 24 hour airport--people are going to get strange transit times.

My connection times just happen to suck. If I arrived earlier, I'd go into the city. If I departed earlier (pre-6am), I'd be allowed lounge access.

I wonder if someone in a position like mine SHOULD be extended lounge privileges by CX. I know that's not the current situation, but the very existence of this thread shows that there are many passengers who have paid (either points or $$) for the highest class of service available who are kind of getting screwed.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: AA & SPG Plat
Instead of trying your luck and at best get to stay in the CX lounge until ~2am. Why not just book a night a Marriott so arrive your destination more refreshed.

Were you planning to access Plaza Premium West by cash? or by free access? If former, that's $6-800hkd already. Might as well spend a little more for a real bed. They don't offer those rest area for those with complimentary access.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Daffie
Instead of trying your luck and at best get to stay in the CX lounge until ~2am. Why not just book a night a Marriott so arrive your destination more refreshed.

Were you planning to access Plaza Premium West by cash? or by free access? If former, that's $6-800hkd already. Might as well spend a little more for a real bed. They don't offer those rest area for those with complimentary access.
I may end up doing just that. I'd prefer to avoid the taxiing to and from the hotel, as well as waiting through the security line in the morning.

I hoped we'd get off the plane around 20:20, go through the transit process, sit down and have a nice meal, maybe even rest in one of the CX lounge's private rooms. Then, when the lounge closes, go to the Plaza West on cash and stay in one of the rest area rooms 'til 6:30 a.m.

However, I emailed w/the manager at Plaza West, and he let me know that the pricing on the rest area rooms is $80 USD/person for 3 hours. Since my wife will be travelling with me, that'd put us around $180 for a 4 hour stay.

At that price point, your plan starts looking better, Daffie. The Novotel and the Regal are both cheaper, and will provide better rest. The Marriot is just a smidge more expensive. Worth it, you think, over the other two mentioned?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
I do wonder if the current policy is worth a debate...at least here on FT.

I'm flying the highest class of service possible on CX and KA to reach my destination. Hong Kong is a 24 hour city, and HKIA is a 24 hour airport--people are going to get strange transit times.

My connection times just happen to suck. If I arrived earlier, I'd go into the city. If I departed earlier (pre-6am), I'd be allowed lounge access.

I wonder if someone in a position like mine SHOULD be extended lounge privileges by CX. I know that's not the current situation, but the very existence of this thread shows that there are many passengers who have paid (either points or $$) for the highest class of service available who are kind of getting screwed.
I think CX has a way to recognize high rev customers by allowing into F lounge, I've seen this happen. A gentleman whom I know to have no status, but pays cash for flex F tickets ex North America and flies a fair amount intra Asia. I'm not sure how but he gets F lounge access! I dont believe he is DM, or even bothered signing up. He is not the "VIP" either, given to politically etc. important people by CX. He is most certainly not Cargo Clan or whatever that's called. He just spends a lot of cash on CX. I have come to the conclusion seeing a few anecdotes like this CX knows or has some way of tracking certain pax who put a lot of revenue to them regardless of status and are rationally flexible. Whenever this guy's assistant books a ticket, regardless where to, he can be in the F lounge yet the last time we flew togethrr his BP doesn't say DM.

For the rest, I think the CX logic is most of these are partner award itineraries. CX is happy to hold out their hand to take the revenue but doesn't take its intra Asia "responsibilities" too seriously, as noted how they're also forever swapping out short haul F, which are almost all partner F award connecting tickets (there is virtually zero F cash origination traffic ex HKG for the likes of say MNL and BKk). They make the devilish and probably accurate assessment that the odds-on most important aspect for partner F redeemers is the long-haul F segment, period. Whilst there may be a bit of whinging about the policy you mention, F swaps on short hauls, etc. the massive partner demand for F itineraries won't stop because of a few short haul annoyances. Because the long haul F segment is what matters most, after all, and the bargaining power of the redeemers isn't very high. If you say hell no to CX because of this, there are infinitely more AA, BA etc partners willing to step up. Whereas the cash pax they pay attention to because those are not a dime a dozen. Right or wrong, I think that's the cold logic behind it.

Addition: Actually, if you did pay cash for your ticket, you should call the reservation dept. I'd be very curious to see what they say. My money is on that they'll say absolutely, put a note in your booking, and a F lounge invite will spit out for ex HKG in ZRH. And the check-in staff will say thank you very much for your patronage.
digitaljok likes this.

Last edited by QRC3288; Dec 3, 2015 at 5:29 pm
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by QRC3288

...I think the CX logic is most of these are partner award itineraries. CX is happy to hold out their hand to take the revenue but doesn't take its intra Asia "responsibilities" too seriously, as noted how they're also forever swapping out short haul F, which are almost all partner F award connecting tickets...

They make the devilish and probably accurate assessment that the odds-on most important aspect for partner F redeemers is the long-haul F segment, period. Whilst there may be a bit of whinging about the policy you mention, F swaps on short hauls, etc. the massive partner demand for F itineraries won't stop because of a few short haul annoyances. Right or wrong, I think that's the cold logic behind it.
I think you're right, QRC3288. CX knows exactly what they're doing.

That's fine. I may take a shot at getting into the lounge, or I'll be happy going to the Marriot/Novotel for a little shut-eye.

This whole question was really about finding the most comfortable and cost-effective way to pass an ill-timed layover.

I'll get to experience several hours in the F lounge when I head back to the US.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA & SPG Plat
At that price point, your plan starts looking better, Daffie. The Novotel and the Regal are both cheaper, and will provide better rest. The Marriot is just a smidge more expensive. Worth it, you think, over the other two mentioned?
I tried a random date and Marriott at the airport is only $215 USD inclusive. Assuming you don't have any luggage to pick up / check in again

8:20pm: Arrive HKG
8:45pm: Grab a quick meal at Tai hing / Crystal Jade. It might not be anything fancy, but comparable if not better than what you will get at Arrivals / maybe J departure lounge. More choices and varieties at T2 if needed.
9:30pm: You would be checked in, into your room already.
6:30am: Check out, or later depending on your risk tolerance.

That way you would still get ~9 hours of decent rest for $215 USD and whatever you spend on food. (or eat for free at CX Arrivals)

Vs. CX J/F lounge + $180 USD at Plaza Premium

Vs. What if CX doesn't let you in? Then what's the increased cost for you to spend a longer time at Plaza Premium?

Edited: PP is HKD $600 for 3 hours + $100/hr. 9pm-6am would be at least 9 hours. So that's $2400 HKD between the two of you. $300+ USD.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Daffie
I tried a random date and Marriott at the airport is only $215 USD inclusive. Assuming you don't have any luggage to pick up / check in again

8:20pm: Arrive HKG
8:45pm: Grab a quick meal at Tai hing / Crystal Jade. It might not be anything fancy, but comparable if not better than what you will get at Arrivals / maybe J departure lounge. More choices and varieties at T2 if needed.
9:30pm: You would be checked in, into your room already.
6:30am: Check out, or later depending on your risk tolerance.

That way you would still get ~9 hours of decent rest for $215 USD and whatever you spend on food. (or eat for free at CX Arrivals)

Vs. CX J/F lounge + $180 USD at Plaza Premium

Vs. What if CX doesn't let you in? Then what's the increased cost for you to spend a longer time at Plaza Premium?

Edited: PP is HKD $600 for 3 hours + $100/hr. 9pm-6am would be at least 9 hours. So that's $2400 HKD between the two of you. $300+ USD.

Yeah, Daffie, I think you've pretty much nailed it. Since I'll get the lounge experience on the way back to the US, I'll shoot for a good rest on the night of arrival.

Thanks to all in this forum for your help, and indulging me as I took this thread a bit OT.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: BA Executive club Gold ,Skywards
Can I use CX F lounge in HKG if arriving BA F then transiting CX J to BKK on separate tickets ?
Old Dec 6, 2015, 4:47 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by jasensteve
Can I use CX F lounge in HKG if arriving BA F then transiting CX J to BKK on separate tickets ?
If same day transit, yes per OW rule. Just show both inbound and outbound BPs to lounge agent.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 12:35 am

Programs: BA Executive club Gold ,Skywards
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
If same day transit, yes per OW rule. Just show both inbound and outbound BPs to lounge agent.
Great ! Thank you very much
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:08 pm

So if I am flying CX807 ORD-HKG in F (AA award) landing 19:55, then taking KA996 HKG-PEK in Y (no J award seat available) departing 22:50 same night, I should be granted access to the F lounges, correct? Has anyone made a similar connection and have experience on whether The Pier or The Wing F is more convenient to get to given the gates that CX807 would typically arrive at / KA996 depart from? If I'm not interested in The Arrival, I'm assuming I'll have to hit the Pier/Wing after getting off the plane but before going through immigration, right? Is the suite at The Pier considered better than the cabana at The Wing? I'm assuming later at night tends to not be as busy at those lounges.. Much appreciate any insight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.