How to watch a tablet in Cathay PEY

Old Feb 26, 2014, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
How to watch a tablet in Cathay PEY

I got tired of holding up my tablet computer by hand to watch movies (especially during meal times, when the tray table is occupied) so I tried a couple of mounting techniques. See pictures below. My guess is that these methods should work fine in all classes if you have a little creativity.

First I tried an iKross phone/tablet desk mount. It's pretty big for just tossing into your briefcase or purse, but it worked the best. The tablet (Nexus 7 2013 pictured) stayed rock-steady and the FA even commented on how cool it was. It also includes a cell phone holder that makes the entire bundle a little smaller, if you wanna watch your cell phone instead of a tablet.

Here it is with the tablet mounted...

That one is a bit big, so I also tried out some NiteIze 24-inch GearTies. Essentially a rubberized bendy-wire, kind of a reusable twist-tie. Here's what that looked like:

A single wire proved not really strong enough, so I twisted a pair of them together with decent results:

Both of these worked fine for mounting a tablet to a CX PEY seat back. The iKross clip is definitely more dignified and the GearTies are more ghetto. But the GearTies are also a lot more portable and packable. They both did a good job of keeping the tablet up off my tray table during meal times, and holding the tablet steady during light turbulence.

I don't think the GearTies would work for a full-sized 10" tablet, they aren't strong enough so it would be sagging constantly. If you have a big tablet go with the iKross mount.

Does anyone have a better solution than either of these two options?
Old Feb 26, 2014, 3:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Too many to list
These are great but not sure if CX will be upset when you pull out your battery powered screw driver to mount it on the seat in front of you http://www.amazon.co.uk/Television-m.../dp/B007RXB8HC
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:25 am

Programs: BAEC, Emirates Skywards, Etihad Guest & HiltonHHonors.
Listening to music on my tablet.

I read your posting & was wondering if you used your own earphones on your tablet or Cathay's headphones.
Incidentally, did you happen to notice if the headphone jack is compatible with tablets?

Many thanks.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
Originally Posted by Cypress
I read your posting & was wondering if you used your own earphones on your tablet or Cathay's headphones.
Incidentally, did you happen to notice if the headphone jack is compatible with tablets?
I use my own regular headphones with the tablet. I never tried the CX headphones, but they do have 3 connectors IIRC, so I strongly suspect that they will not work for watching a tablet.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RevJim
I use my own regular headphones with the tablet. I never tried the CX headphones, but they do have 3 connectors IIRC, so I strongly suspect that they will not work for watching a tablet.
it works, but only with the left or right side but not both
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: QFF SG, VA SL, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
there's ghetto and then there's GHETTO

Old Mar 22, 2014, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC, Emirates Skywards, Etihad Guest & HiltonHHonors.
Originally Posted by RevJim
Thanks for that. It was most helpful.

Cypress.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaka
it works, but only with the left or right side but not both
You will need something LIKE this (no endorsement, yada yada yada): http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...i_Male_to.html

You can probably find one at your local audio store.

I am not going to comment as to why you'd want to use CX's instead of your headsets...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.