Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX Premium Economy Experiences and Thoughts [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CX Premium Economy Experiences and Thoughts [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
ah thank you. perhaps the mods can move some of our PEY "regional" discussion - I'm guilty of making much of it actually a PEY longhaul discussion - over to here. or perhaps only one blended thread is necessary? either way thx for starting these.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 8:27 pm

I buy it for personal travel at peak seasons, when price of discount PEY isn't much different to price of EY, so seems a reasonable upgrade price to pay. (i.e. 15,000 vs 13,000)

During off peak, no, as the price difference is too much.

For business, my firm has now switched us from J to PEY for all flights over 8 hours, if PEY available . Under that, EY.

As a product - I like it. Try to make sure that I now take daylight flights though (as a seat, it is fine. But for sleeping...)
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:05 pm

I'm trying it for the first time in Feb and will report back. Right now I have an opportunity to snag 31ac 32ac and 33ac for my party of 6 but I'm undecided due to the need to cross over the middle block to get to the toilet.
Surprisingly 32hk 33hk 34hk are also available except that if there is a bassinet request I'll get bumped off.
Decisions decisions...

Re incremental cost I was happily in EY until I realised that for about 25% more i could get a better hard product for the 14-16 hour journey. I had read enough here to learn that the soft product is really EY so I'm not expecting much on that front. Love flyertalk. It helps to keep your expectations in check. Lol
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: QFF SG, VA SL, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
I've flown it to Syd a few times now since it was introduced, I find the value does not compare well to QF PE on the A380.

Main reason is service is lax given the crew from economy have to come forward as opposed to coming back from business. This leads to slow response time and the feeling of the crew disappearing outside meal times.

PE should be staff from J not Y galley to raise the overall service level.

Otherwise the seat is quite ok for extra room and recline as is the IFE.

On HKG-SYD the price premium is quite high over QF (about 25% higher) which I don't see as justified given the QF product shares with the J cabin and crew and is on 380 vs 330.

I have not paid as yet on personal travel instead sticking with QF until the pricing comes down (just upgraded work trips so far which are good points value if you don't pay the fare yourself!)
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:29 pm

I flew LHR HKG and back on CX PEY, it was pretty reasonable. (though the ticket price was way above what BA charge for the same journey).
The FAs were attentive enough, I felt. Welcome drink and meal service were pretty decent and I managed to get the sleep I wanted.The costs of J on HKGLHR is so out of my reach that PEY is the best I can hope for right now.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:05 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Overpricing, poor soft product and crappy availability info means it's currently redemption heaven for me. I've lost count of the number of PE redemptions I've issued since roll-out.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MPO Gold, Presidents Choice Gourmet Coffee, Flying Blue, Flying Club
Having experienced PEY on both legs of a LHR-HKG trip last October, I can say that it was a pretty decent experience on all accounts. Food wasn't too bad, service pretty attentive as well. The thing that stands out the most is that little more legroom and a wider seat, which on a flight of that length is appreciated.

Still, the price mark-up over Y class is stretching it. Set your expectations as this being Y+1 and you won't be disappointed.

As an aside, I'll be trying out WT+ later this Spring on the same route, so it'll be interesting to find out how it compares...

Last edited by karaokequeen3; Jan 29, 2014 at 2:06 am
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:25 am

Does the introduction of regional Y+ means for short haul, even HKG/TPE, I cannot use miles to upgrade from Y to J if the flight is served by 33G/34J/74K/77G/77H?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by B-HXG
Does the introduction of regional Y+ means for short haul, even HKG/TPE, I cannot use miles to upgrade from Y to J if the flight is served by 33G/34J/74K/77G/77H?
Correct
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:53 am

Here's some price points for some family travelling in May.
I can do part of the itinerary in miles; PE(T) is consistently 20% more expensive than Y(X) so it's a no-brainer.

HKG-CTS-HKG
Y(M): HK$6,160++
PE(E): HK$11,350++ (+84%)

SYD-HKG-SYD
Y(S): A$624++
PE(E): A$1,295++ (+107%)

Almost double the price for 38% more space, the business class first main and no changes to the soft product? I'm still feeling fleeced.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:41 am

Programs: MPC Gold, QF Gold + many others
Travelling from LHR to MEL regularly, I have to say that PEY makes the difference between a uncomfortable and comfortable 22 hour flight. It is well worth the extra cost or the 55,000 miles to upgrade, when on such a long flight.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 2:59 am

Programs: QF Platinum, Former CX Diamond, TG Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Amex Platinum
I’ve used CX PEY a few times on personal travel – to me, the product is fine however I refuse to pay the prices CX are regularly charging out of Hong Kong for something that is comparable with competitors. Several times on HKG-SYD and HKG-LHR, pricing on QF and BA has been significantly lower so I’ve gone with them. For personal travel, loyalty has a price and I’m simply not willing to fork out 30-40% more just to be loyal to CX. I earn Club miles anyway. And most often as a oneworld Emerald I receive a personal greeting from the Cabin Manager on QF and BA.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:56 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Merged the long haul and regional discussions. When discussing, please note if your opinions relate to long haul or regional if appropriate, to avoid misunderstandings.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Jan 29, 2014, 6:07 am

Programs: JL Sapphire, Aegean Gold, Accor Platinum, HHonours Gold
My thoughts on the topic are summed up in the comparison I did of CX and QFs respective products. I'm sad to see CX really not give its Premium economy the standard I know it's capable of . Pricing and staff attention/service are two areas where improvement can be made .
Old Jan 29, 2014, 6:58 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Originally Posted by percysmith
Here's some price points for some family travelling in May.
I can do part of the itinerary in miles; PE(T) is consistently 20% more expensive than Y(X) so it's a no-brainer.

HKG-CTS-HKG
Y(M): HK$6,160++
PE(E): HK$11,350++ (+84%)
SYD-HKG-SYD
Y(S): A$624++
PE(E): A$1,295++ (+107%)

Almost double the price for 38% more space, the business class first main and no changes to the soft product? I'm still feeling fleeced.
When you actually want miles (V class for most - H for AA) the price difference lessens quickly.

The best PEY deals are ex-USA.

If you can sleep in a recliner in front of the TV, the upgrade on flights of more than 6-7 hours is worth it. Unless of course, you can afford business.

Happy wandering

Fred

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.