Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2013, 1:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

New KA First Class

...or aka CX's FB2 Business Class

http://theclub.cathaypacific.com/dbm...cid=CX61AE1312

Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:21 pm

Don't be surprised if they use this trim and color for the next refresh of the long-haul business class!
Old Dec 16, 2013, 3:27 pm

Same colour scheme as the updated CX first class with a hint of DA crimson. Not bad.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 3:51 pm

Programs: QF WP (OWE) / LTG (LT OWS) | Hyatt Globalist
Actually wouldn't mind seeing this colour and trim in the CX J cabin!
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer Gold / Hilton Hhonour Diamond / Starwood SPG Gold / CX Former Gold, now Green
New KA First Class

Is First Class really necessary for KA given only regional flight..? Even CX to Aussie dropped First long time ago...
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CX100Silver
Is First Class really necessary for KA given only regional flight..? Even CX to Aussie dropped First long time ago...
Why not? Realistically...it's just a J seat.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
So, I guess this is the third variation of the successful 'worlds best business class' product after CX and AA
Old Dec 16, 2013, 7:55 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Webb's whinged about it

http://webb-site.com/articles/notclassy.asp
Old Dec 16, 2013, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by percysmith
Obviously that would be a more than luxurious product for a regional flight. He should probably try the 'first' class in US first before winging
Old Dec 16, 2013, 8:27 pm

Programs: CX, UA, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Starwood
Originally Posted by CX100Silver
Yea, it is at least from a CX economics perspective. The economics are that flights are shorter reducing fuel burn, and there are mainlanders (and HK-based travelers) willing to pay for F service on regional flights to/from China. I'm not sure if you've flown the existing KA F config, but it kinda sucks. It's actually rather uncomfortable - I prefer the big Lazy Boy chairs in J, especially if nobody is sitting in front of me. Having the CX J class now be KA's F is pretty cool. Admittedly I will rarely be paying for it, but I do think there is demand.

Aussie is (again, from economics perspective, not pax perspective), bluntly, a poor-yielding F route, hence it got dropped. Lots of competition, mid/long range (9+ hours) means more incremental fuel burn, and there just aren't enough folks willing to shell out USA-like prices for F (15k+ USD). Everything is an opportunity cost and I just don't think it's worth it for CX to send F configged planes down there. It certainly doesn't justify using an elite config like the 77H down to Oz when you probably can't price that F ticket more than 7-8k USD tops or risk having empty cabins. Even then I think you'd be pushing it, you can get J down to SYD for 4-6k USD. Competition is just too fierce and there aren't enough pax with the type of budget versus, say JFK-bound pax.

Versus KA, they've already got F configged planes, but the F class hard product kinda sucks. This will definitely be an improvement, and I bet it doesn't cost CX/KA a whole lot because they already have the seat contract with CX. Maybe the planes were going in for maintenance/refurbs anyway.

Finally, as for Webb...I really enjoy reading that guy's stuff, unfortunately that post of his was ridiculous. Embarrassing. "Title inflation". Go complain about something more substantial. FWIW, count me as a pax that is stoked that KA is using CX's J class for their F. As mentioned above, this is definitely an upgrade from KA's existing F product. I don't expect CX's F when I'm flying a 3 hour flight to PEK. What a clown.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:03 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
so it is not beyond their means to use the same name for the same seat.
He should be careful what he asks for....The current CX business class could be easily renamed to CX First Class.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:37 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Existing first - http://www.dragonair.com/ka/en_HK/tr...rst-class.html
Old Dec 16, 2013, 10:35 pm

CX operates first class on certain regional routes

they are unable to operate to China

of course KA needs a first class cabin!!!!

and this one looks really stylish.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by Kachjc
CX operates first class on certain regional routes

they are unable to operate to China

of course KA needs a first class cabin!!!!

and this one looks really stylish.
CX is operating PEK and PVG route
Old Dec 17, 2013, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by rickywk
CX is operating PEK and PVG route
yes but they may need more than CX first class capacity to that route than available- they are not nuts

is great KA chose a new first class instead of repeating the business class

those who dislike this drastic improvement of product can go fly China southern!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.